Brand suggestions for Vintage steel frame

Klierslc

Explorer
Hi folks,

I am planning on buying a cheapish vintage road bike to use for training and potentially touring. I currently ride a steel frame LeMond Zurich and used to have a Lemond Nevada City and an old welded frame Trek. I have always wanted a decent lugged frame with a bit of chrome--here are my thoughts on some of the frames I have considered.

late 70s Peugeot: Exactly the style I am looking for but I am not a fan of the cottered cranks and funny sized BB.
Late 70s Raleigh: Probably my first choice stylewise although I would rather have a European frame vs a Euro branded frame built in Taiwan.
70s-80s Bianchi: Another one that is high on the list but most of the bikes I have found are a little plain.
7s0-80s Centurion: Not exactly what I am looking for as they are Japanese frames, but a solid contender.
70s Steyr/Puch: Ideal stylewise but really heavy low end bikes are all I am finding so far.
Nishiki and Fuji: Great bikes, meet all the pre-requisites, but just not my cup of tea.
Trek: Also good bikes, but boring/plain.
Dawes: Hard to find, especially in my size 60-64 cm
70s-80s Motobecane: Would be perfect if I could find one.
Schwinn: I know they used to make good bikes, I just can't get over their current Walmart connection.
Various other italian brands: Mostly too expensive--looking to spend under 400 for a rideable bike.
Older LeMond: This would be my first choice but they are rare and expensive.

I am pretty handy with a spoke wrench so I am not worried about being able to maintain them, I would just like the parts to be relatively easy to come by and be compatible with a significant number of other bikes.
Any suggestions/thoughts?

4xdog

Explorer
How much work are you planning to do on the frame? One of the real challenges of some of those frames -- including what I'm going to say next -- is that some of them have French threads on key parts, such as bottom bracket.

I have a early- to mid-70's Swedish Crescent, 64cm, full Reynolds DB including stays and forks that was my city commuter for a number of years. Paint kinda worn, but overall condition fine. One of my very favorite derailleurs ever -- the Suntour V-GT with Power Shifters. Maybe the best friction shifter system there ever was. Overall the bike's a mix-match of various early 70s and some mid 80s components. One of the downsides for me was that it doesn't have toe clip to front wheel clearance when the fork it turned -- a result of it being at heart a fairly aggressive racing frame. It was a bigger problem when I had mudguards mounted with cyclocross tires on the 27-in rims. It'd be less of a problem, obviously, with 700C. This has been on my list to find a new home for for a while but I didn't want to dump it on craigslist to someone who didn't know what it was. No chrome, unfortunately, although the lugs are nice (they look to be Nervex). Send me a pm if ya have any interest.

It's essentially the same as this one, but a significantly higher line model with 531/Campy dropouts, *much better* cotterless cranks and the noted Suntours. It has upright bars now. I'm magnitudes lower in what I'd ask than that crazy eBay listing.

Don

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind, many of these bikes will have short chain stays which will make panniers tricky. That's assuming you find a frame with eyelets for rack attachment in the first place.

Maybe check out GVH bikes. www.gvhbikes.com

They've always got good deals on unusual and cool frames.

p nut

butter
Around my area (and many others around the country), the hipster phenomenan is still going strong, which means decent vintage bikes worth restoring are either priced ridiculously high or gone within minutes of posting on CL. Personally, I gave up the search and bought a production frame. You do miss out on the "charm" or "character", but you've got a new frame with proper rack/fender mounts.

Check out this Soma.

http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/stanyan-frameset

Klierslc

Explorer
How much work are you planning to do on the frame? One of the real challenges of some of those frames -- including what I'm going to say next -- is that some of them have French threads on key parts, such as bottom bracket.

I have a early- to mid-70's Swedish Crescent, 64cm, full Reynolds DB including stays and forks that was my city commuter for a number of years. Paint kinda worn, but overall condition fine. One of my very favorite derailleurs ever -- the Suntour V-GT with Power Shifters. Maybe the best friction shifter system there ever was. Overall the bike's a mix-match of various early 70s and some mid 80s components. One of the downsides for me was that it doesn't have toe clip to front wheel clearance when the fork it turned -- a result of it being at heart a fairly aggressive racing frame. It was a bigger problem when I had mudguards mounted with cyclocross tires on the 27-in rims. It'd be less of a problem, obviously, with 700C. This has been on my list to find a new home for for a while but I didn't want to dump it on craigslist to someone who didn't know what it was. No chrome, unfortunately, although the lugs are nice (they look to be Nervex). Send me a pm if ya have any interest.

It's essentially the same as this one, but a significantly higher line model with 531/Campy dropouts, *much better* cotterless cranks and the noted Suntours. It has upright bars now. I'm magnitudes lower in what I'd ask than that crazy eBay listing.

Don

I can't view the listing as ebay is blocked in afghanistan, but it sounds like a neat machine. I am not crazy about the french sizing on things, but it isn't a deal breaker. Shipping from MO to CA may be a bit much. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a pic though.

Keep in mind, many of these bikes will have short chain stays which will make panniers tricky. That's assuming you find a frame with eyelets for rack attachment in the first place.

Maybe check out GVH bikes. www.gvhbikes.com

They've always got good deals on unusual and cool frames.

Good point about the wheelbase--I am hoping that I'll have enough room on the larger bikes. If not, panniers are not a huge consideration as I don't plan on doing long distance touring--I can probably get by with a less than stellar rack for a 3-4 day trip. If I change my mind I have a trailer that would work well. I didn't find anything in their frame section but I did find a couple of parts I have been meaning to pick up for the Lemond--thanks!

Around my area (and many others around the country), the hipster phenomenan is still going strong, which means decent vintage bikes worth restoring are either priced ridiculously high or gone within minutes of posting on CL. Personally, I gave up the search and bought a production frame. You do miss out on the "charm" or "character", but you've got a new frame with proper rack/fender mounts.

Check out this Soma.

http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/stanyan-frameset

That is a beautiful frame--too expensive for me unfortunately.

We definitely have that going on in San Diego as well. I have been keeping an eye on the hipster bikes as well as it isn't too difficult to reverse the process(plenty of people selling the stuff they stripped from their fixie), but they usually paint them in some weird colors and can't remember what brand/size the frame was anyway.

I did find a decent looking Ross grand tour for cheap http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/3529990226.html
It is a little plainer and lower quality than I was looking for and green isn't really my thing, but for that price I may see if the wife can snag it...

Thanks for the help guys; any other suggestions, things to look for?

Last edited:

redneck44

Adventurer
Have you looked at Rivendell frames, not vintafe but certainly have the vintage style, great for touring as well.
Personally I have an early 80's Raleigh 531 frame, that was built as a lightweight tourer, super plush ride and panniers fit easily.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Too bad I just sold my Miyata 920 for a song ($200) Dura Ace and Campy:(
Good bike just hard to do the roady thing in a rain forest.
garden2012006.jpg

Klierslc

Explorer
I decided to pass on the ross, but the wife is looking at this gem later today for $200... Hoping it works out.

3K23Fe3M85Ne5F55M4d119999cdf65c9e1308.jpg
Raleigh Competition (mid range bike for its day). A bit on the flashy side, but I think the chrome is tasteful. The seller doesn't know the size but based on the headtube I am guessing 62-63 cm.

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
The Competition was always a bike in the (Carlton-built) Raleigh line that was neither fish nor fowl. Sorta a racer, sorta a tourer, Reynolds 531 DB only on the main tubes (or something like that -- memory fades).

This is a later one than the one a riding buddy had. Mid-80s I'd guess, just as Raleigh was going through some big reorganizations, but possibly still made in England. Others will know more (Flounder...?). I see what looks like a Reynolds decal on the fork blade -- a good sign. It looks like a great candidate for your project!

Don

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
You looking for something big? Ive got a few frames that maybe of interest to you. I grab every 60cm and larger frame that comes through the shop, which isn't too often compared to the 56 and 58s that come through the door. I'll see exactly what I have hanging at the shop tomorrow and try to shoot you some pics.

In the meantime...

I have a 62ish peter mooney(look him up) out in my garage right now. It has rear rack braze-ons. It was hit from behind(on a roofrack i think) and needs new seatstays. I have 3 other frames to fix before that one, but if your handy with a torch it aint rocket science.

-Chris

Klierslc

Explorer
You looking for something big? Ive got a few frames that maybe of interest to you. I grab every 60cm and larger frame that comes through the shop, which isn't too often compared to the 56 and 58s that come through the door. I'll see exactly what I have hanging at the shop tomorrow and try to shoot you some pics.

In the meantime...

I have a 62ish peter mooney(look him up) out in my garage right now. It has rear rack braze-ons. It was hit from behind(on a roofrack i think) and needs new seatstays. I have 3 other frames to fix before that one, but if your handy with a torch it aint rocket science.

-Chris

Hmm.. I would love to see a pic of the Peter Mooney frame (and any of the other larger frames you have for that matter). I haven't brazed anything but copper pipe in a long time, but I think I could swing the seat stays--probably have a shop do it to keep from messing things up though. You aren't very far from the house either--I won't be home till April, but may be able to work something out with the wife.

Radio silence from the guy with the Raleigh, but as of yesterday he didn't have anybody else interested so we'll see.

Thanks for all the suggestions/info.

Dan

4xdog

Explorer
The competitions were full reynolds 531. db Main tubes straight gauge stays normally and were pretty much club racers. Early 70's versions had 27" wheels later models came with 700c. Many came with sewups. The black GS with Campy Grand Sport was my favorite. Next notch down was The Super Course. Carlton made until early 80's. I still have my '79 I bought new! 531 straight gauge and rack eyelets on front and rear dropouts. I've seen a couple of these on CL lately in great shape for very reasonable. That Peter Mooney would be sweet!
French thread stuff is a PIA these days. It was a PIA in the shop in the 80's.
Just keep your eyes on CL. You never know what will show up.

Yup-- the black Competiton GS (indeed with sewups) was the one my riding buddy had in the late 70s. I recalled there was something odd about the tubing but couldn't remember what. I needed to double check the '76 Raleigh catalog in the files. Thanks for the details.

French threads went through a major PITA phase in the late 90s - mid 00s where almost all the NOS stuff was used and nuthin' new was being made. Surprisingly, the situation has gotten a little better as the appreciation of cyclotourism and those old French bikes has grown. VeloOrange, for example, make their own-brand BB now:
http://store.velo-orange.com/index....ottom-brackets-hollow-axle-alloy-cups-53.html

Still a pain, but no longer are the bikes crippled.

Don

chris_the_wrench

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357747393.981996.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357747461.472629.jpg
Heres some pics of the Mooney. Im pretty sure it was on a roof rack and went into a garage or similar. Its a beautiful frame. You truly can't appreciate the full beauty of these hand-built frames until you remove the paint.

ST 62c-c TT 59c-c.

I'll shoot some photos of the other bikes. I need to update my profile I'm not in Carlsbad, currently. Up in WA right now...

-Chris

chris_the_wrench

Schwinn tempi w/ columbus tenax tubing. 62 c-c st, 58 c-c tt.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357763135.591573.jpg
Takara challenge. 67 c-c st, 59 tt. This bike is 27" wheel, but i outfitted it with 700c wheels.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357763335.534547.jpg

Let me know if any of these are candidates and I can shoot you some more photos/specs.

-Chris

Klierslc

Explorer
All of those bikes look good, but none are quite what I am looking for. Something along the lines of the Raleigh I posted would be ideal--that particular one is 555 SL tubing made in 84 or 85 but it is supposed to be pretty good steel. A slightly older GS would fit the bill even better. Things that I am looking for are partially or fully chromed forks (with chromed crown) chromed chainstays, and nice looking lugs. Chromed head tube, lugs, and seat stays are cool, but not a big deal. I am not too hung up on brands and particular tubing, but I would prefer to stay away from the french sizes and cottered cranks and prefer US or European branding, even if the construction was done in Japan. Looking for decent quality, but don't have any illusions about getting a top quality bike in my budget. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Bike Mech,
I will be headed up to Idaho for spring bear season so I may end up stopping by to save on shipping if the wife isn't able to pick up anything local in the meantime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles