Chevy Express 2WD to AWD conversion?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Quigley deos them all the time for $11,000.

For that kind of money you can get a truck or burb.

JustinO

Quigley deos them all the time for $11,000.

For that kind of money you can get a truck or burb.

I'm actually asking if it's possible to switch the 2wd to the Chevy AWD, the same AWD that Chevy sells as stock. That's my question. Thanks

98dango

Expedition Leader
I'm sure it can be done but the cost would kill it for me. you could get a better set up for less in my eyes.

chasespeed

Explorer
I would venture to say its POSSIBLE, but, certainly not worth the effort.

I have a Chevy Quigley. The frame is a different width than the pick up.

You're much better off starting fresh, unless you plan to put a solid axle under the front.

Chase

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I don't know if you can source the AWD parts for a reasonable cost anymore. My Fleet manager said those wern't available anymore, just the Quigleys.

JustinO

I would venture to say its POSSIBLE, but, certainly not worth the effort.

I have a Chevy Quigley. The frame is a different width than the pick up.

You're much better off starting fresh, unless you plan to put a solid axle under the front.

Chase

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks all, I kind of figured that would be the consensus but thought I'd ask. My dilemma is I've put so much into the interior of this van...insulation, walls, ceiling, roof vent, etc...that I was hoping to get some sort of 4wd set-up with my current rig. The reason I'm hesitant to go with a full blown 4x4 conversion is because the motor is a 4.8L V8. I have added a transmission cooler. Any thoughts on if it would be wise or unwise to use this for 4x4...main function would be to drive the beach for surfing. Thanks

njtacoma

Explorer
perhaps you could watch the salvage auctions and find a wrecked cargo van that had the awd. The Cargo awd seem to be much more common, at least in Colorado.

With both vans side by side in the driveway it "should" be possible. I think GM builds them on the same assembly lines, if they can do it, it must be possible... (acknowledging flawed logic, but you get the idea).

67jeepster

Chevy still sells the 2013 1500 in AWD with the 5.3 in it. I guess if you have a GREAT starter van find a totaled one and swap it.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I think the factory AWD van uses some of the 1500 front end parts. Note that it's the light chassis (6 lug wheels) that they offer as AWD, not the heavier chassis, which has 8-lug wheels. Quigley does conversions on the heavy chassis, but not the light one. I'd pull up next to a few silverados and see what looks similar. You'll probably want to compare to the 2007-up 1500 trucks. You might find enough similarities that you could mostly bolt in the front AWD components, but I just don't know. If that doesn't look right, then see if the '06-down 1500 chassis matches up. ??
Your 4.8 would probably be ok with 4wd, but you're going to want to put a t-case in it with low range if you plan to spend a lot of time in the sand.
Good luck!
Chris

JustinO

I think the factory AWD van uses some of the 1500 front end parts. Note that it's the light chassis (6 lug wheels) that they offer as AWD, not the heavier chassis, which has 8-lug wheels. Quigley does conversions on the heavy chassis, but not the light one. I'd pull up next to a few silverados and see what looks similar. You'll probably want to compare to the 2007-up 1500 trucks. You might find enough similarities that you could mostly bolt in the front AWD components, but I just don't know. If that doesn't look right, then see if the '06-down 1500 chassis matches up. ??
Your 4.8 would probably be ok with 4wd, but you're going to want to put a t-case in it with low range if you plan to spend a lot of time in the sand.
Good luck!
Chris

Thanks Chris, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'll do some research based on all of your thoughts.

Thanks,

Justin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior