Comparison

dlargo

Observer
Good Morning all,

new to the forum but a lurker or sorts for awhile. Just a bit of info about the Jeep. 2001 Cherokee Sport, 130K miles. Mostly stock with upgraded steering components recently installed. Most of my off road travels include light trails with the beach mixed in. I would like to make it more travel friendly and expedition style as I move on. The max I want to go with tires is 31's. I will be adding bumpers (and winch) and roof rack in the future as well.

I have a budget of around $1000 (max) to purchase a lift in about a month. I was leaning towards the OME 2.5" with an adjustable track bar from 4 Wheel parts for about $1004. After some more research I came across the Rusty's 3" kit with additional LCA's and a trackbar for about $900. I want the full leaf packs with either kit. What do you think? I do not mind spending the extra 100 for a better quality ride and would like as complete a kit as I can. Just getting started.......thanks

Danny

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
This has been covered numerous times and OME is the way to go, tons of threads on here and other forums discussing it.

dlargo

Observer
thanks to both of you....leaning OME for the longest. Another question....will I need the LCA's when I do the 2.5 lift or will the stock arms be sufficient for the time being. I do plan to upgrade in the future though.

Danny

Gaucho919

Adventurer
The factory short arms will work with a 2.5" lift in my experience. If you want to help your budget a bit you can buy the OME front and rear springs, and Monroe sensatrac shocks. Monroe part# 37120 is a Jeep YJ front shock that is the perfect length for that lift on a Cherokee(just have to put a bar pin in them), and Comanche rear shocks are longer than the Cherokee's. Rockauto.com shows you shock lengths on their website.

dlargo

Observer
Gaucho....the budget really is not the issue or rather I do not mind paying a little more for something that will last and is designed to work together. I would rather go quality with the whole setup and slowly build it...thanks.

Land Runner

Observer
I have a JK and have used rough country bit I am a little biased as I live just down the road from them. They back there products and ship the same day as ordered. I have called for different things here and there and the customer service continues to be outstanding and they have shipped somethings to me completely free of charge just for being loyal. If was LR a LC I would definitely go with OME but for a jeep I choose Rough Country. Thats my two cents worth. Either way you cant go wrong.

jjdieselman

i would honestly go for an after market control arms. the stock ones are kinda crapy cause you can not rebuild the bushing. i went through this on my daily driver. i bought the rusty kit and got the adjustable control arms so i could later down the road replace the bushing through them. my factory control arms killed the bushing from the 31" tires. just saying and it comes with new shocks. all rancho shocks too. they have the same part number.

dlargo

Observer
thanks everyone for the advice. Gonna go with the OME lift and trackbar. Just got it a discount card for 4WD Parts for any 5% with no shipping costs.

96XJ11C

Observer
you will never regret going with OME. Your LCAs will work just fine. Look into OME Nitro-charger sport shocks! I just put mine on a month ago and they are performing great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles