iPad4 GPS options?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Seems there's a common misconception about the iPad 3G models and their assisted gps. Their GPS chipset's in the 3G ipad's are just that... Global Positioning System chipsets. These GPS chips can communicate directly with gps satellites regardless of if you have ANY cellular service. You could be in the most remote areas of the wilderness as far as possible and the GPS will give you your location.

Let me rephrase that once more... NO CELL SERVICE IS NEEDED TO NAVIGATE USING THE 3G IPAD' GPS. Got it???

Now that that's clear (I hope <roll eyes>), if there happens to be any cellular service then it will augment (meaning "add to") the built-in gps self locating capability with additional location data which it obtains via your cell service.

HTH.

Thanks Chad! I had tried it once before while in Wi-Fi range and then when I left my house the screen froze. So that's when I thought I would need the bad-elf or similar. Obviously I did something wrong as I just tried it on a short run around town and it worked perfectly!
Bob

vienansissi

I am using Ipad2 wi-fi with Garmin GLO and MotionX GPS app. Very satisfied, dont miss a beat. On ly consern is my 16GB memory for the offline maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles