iPad4 GPS options?

cosmic88

Observationalist
Short story... my pre-purchase research was flawed! I certainly would not have purchased an iPad4 last week had I fully known that it cannot be used as a GPS navigation, current location, waypoint finding device when not connected to a Cell tower or Wi-Fi network. I have asked a few people now who all tell me this is the case. Man do I hope they are wrong.

Is there an external GPS antenna I can use in order to find my exact location within cached maps? I use the Motion-X GPS app.

I simply wish to use this device when not in cell or wifi range... who has the knowledge?

reece146

Automotive Artist
Depending on the policy of the store where you bought the device you may be able to return it to get the correct version with built in hardware.

chadlanc

Adventurer
if you purchased the 4G version, at&t..verizon..etc. it has a gps chip in it. If you don't have cell reception you can still get your location you just can't download you maps. So you just have to make sure you cached your maps before losing connection. We do it all the time in the wilderness using google earth or Topo Maps

RobRed

Explorer
OP - There are a few conflicts in your description. As mentioned if you bought a 4g model you don't need any extra hardware. If you bought wifi you will need GPS hardware. Take a look at my iPad Nav FAQ.

cosmic88

Observationalist
or you could buy a nexus 7 :)

The horse has left the barn... I already made the purchase but as reece said I may be inclined to return and pay for the upgrade.

Rob - I said I bought an iPad 4... no 4g is out (yet?) but I know what you are talking about if you mean the difference between the wifi only model and the Cell/AGPS equipped model. I mistakenly bought this one not fully inderstanding how Apple designed the hardware. On that note... pretty short-sighted to send this "appliance" to market without the ability to locate itself in the world sans ground based network.

I will just keep the above ordered antenna and also head to The Church of Apple and pay (offer) for the additional built in hardware.

Werrea

Observer
I just purchased an Ipad 4 Verizon 4g. I do not have it connected to cell service and the GPS chipset follows me perfect. You have to download maps from a WiFi connection if you don't pay for data. For what it is worth, I downloaded Gaia. The GPS pinpoints me within 3 meters of my location.

So confused if you did get the 4g or wifi only.

There is no need to get external GPS.

Please clarify OP.

cosmic88

Observationalist
Silly generic terms.... To clarify i have a New iPad 4.... Fourth generation iPad...new, vivid retina display .... newest release of iPad 4 wifi only model which was purchased by mistake.

:costumed-smiley-007

Werrea

Observer
Silly generic terms.... To clarify i have a New iPad 4.... Fourth generation iPad...new, vivid retina display .... newest release of iPad 4 wifi only model which was purchased by mistake.

:costumed-smiley-007

Ahhh......How many gigs? I have 64 and have used about 20 with my maps, pics and music. And that's part of Wa, Ca, I'd and all of Oregon.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Dual bluetooth gps works ok but not without flaws... namely connecting reliably to my ipad (1st gen).
I'd consider the other units before buying the Dual unit.

cosmic88

Observationalist
Well I hope to report back with positive results. I spoke with someone and read a bunch of reviews stating the connection to Satelites occured faster with the DUAL antena but had not seen any comments about is losing connection or being difficult to make the Bluetooth connection with the iPad itself.

I will receive it today and test in the woods this weekend.

cosmic88

Observationalist
In brief, it worked perfectly and never lost bluetooth connection with the pad. Cached maps through motion x gps and used for about two days without wifi or cell network. I don't yet know about the Dual's battery life since I charged it whenever possible. Happy with it so far which really is not all that far.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I just purchased an Ipad 4 Verizon 4g. I do not have it connected to cell service and the GPS chipset follows me perfect. You have to download maps from a WiFi connection if you don't pay for data. For what it is worth, I downloaded Gaia. The GPS pinpoints me within 3 meters of my location.

So confused if you did get the 4g or wifi only.

There is no need to get external GPS.

Please clarify OP.

The iPad uses Assisted-GPS which means it uses the cell tower network to locate itself whether you're connected to it or not. Get it out in the boonies with no cell coverage and see how fast and accurate it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles