Honda Element right for me?

Amy H

Observer
Man they kids drive young out there in Washington! Well at least he has the dog to watch over him:)

Awesome report and 1st post BTW.

LOL... nah..I do the driving. My son saw the Ecamper and thought it was a car with a tree house, so I bought the Element for him in that way. We ended up bailing on the Ecamper on the Element due to payload issues, but I still love the idea of a pop up. Thanks for the compliment about my first post on here. I am a member of the Element Owner's Club and have spent hours searching for my perfect camping rig, picking people's brains and trying things out on the road. I hopped over to this forum to search out other camping rig options.

Amy H

Observer
Yeah, the Element is one of the few SUV-type vehicles out there that still has a by-God tailgate.

About the only thing I miss from having a pickup is the tailgate. So useful! I understand why SUV makers went for the "soccer mom liftgate" (it's cheaper to make, simpler to design and allows short people easier access to the cargo area) but dammit, I really like tailgates!

Well you could alway mod your YJ to a drop down tailgate. If I had a jeep, that would be the second mod I would do after a Ecamper. :)

Cat Jockey

Observer
I used to drive a 1985 Toyota MR2 on light 4x4 trails. I always wanted to turn my MR2 into a rally vehicle. If that is all you are looking for, light 4x4 trails, an Element is your ticket. I know I have seen pop-ups available for the Element.

If I have to park at the trail head and walk the rest of the way, so be it.

You don't need to be silly now. ;) Just get yourself a cheap 250cc dirtbike off of Craigslist and carry it on the hitch. Problem solved. If you are not looking for a serious 4x4, I would guess the element is pretty sweet, considering the internal room and aftermarket things for camping that are available. I would guess that you could trick an Element out pretty good for heat, cooking, etc.

Hell, if I were looking for a camping rig that I don't need to do serious 4x4, I would probably by a used Pontiac Aztec. AWD and you can get one cheaper than an Element.

Get a used Aztec and save some cash ...

This was the first cheesy vid Google gave me. The tent was a factory option. Wherever this guy lives, it is windy and I have no doubt that this can be done quicker ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAaXOT1AupY

Another vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QYmwKcGtos

I would probably take an Aztec over an Element, but mainly because of price and the fact that Pontiac made some solid vehicles and Aztecs are no longer made and cheaper that an Element. Of course, owning a '66 2 door hardtop Bonneville years ago might make me biased towards Pontaics ...

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would probably take an Aztec over an Element, but mainly because of price and the fact that Pontiac made some solid vehicles and Aztecs are no longer made and cheaper that an Element. Of course, owning a '66 2 door hardtop Bonneville years ago might make me biased towards Pontaics ...

Didn't the later models of the Aztek come with a special compartment near the driver's door for the bag you'd have to wear over your head to keep your friends from recognizing you when you drove it? :D

That reminds me when I was trying to upgrade a rental car on a business trip, since the Mustang convertible was more than I planned.

Agent: ""We have a Subaru wagon"
Me: "I really don't need a wagon to carry this kayak paddle I have"
Agent: "I can offer you a Pontiac Aztek"
Me: " Don't you have to pay me to drive that?"
Agent: "I have a ford Taurus"
Me: "Stop! I'll take the Mustang."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles