Honda Element right for me?

I think I've settled on getting a Honda Element to use as my DD and weekend/long road trip camping vehicle, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

Wants:

• Good reliability
  • Decent MPG
  • AWD or 4X4
  • Capable on mild trails
  • Comfortable to sleep in

I just want to be able to throw in my gear, and hit the road. It would just be my dog and I. I was thinking of a Gen 3 Montero or a Gen 2 Xterra for much better off road capability, but I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice the MPG. If the Element could take me to most of the good scenic spots out west, (live in Minnesota) I'd be happy.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I think they are cool cars for what you describe. Just read about the lowest spot (gas tank?) and make sure it will clear what you need it to. Going solo and only gravel roads, I think it would be great.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Since you have stated mild trails I can see the Element being a decent vehicle for you.

I've seen some interesting things out on the trails out west. Subaru's running White Rim Trail, Honda Civic on the trails near Ouray, Crown Vic on Hell's Revenge and Baby Lion's Back and an Astro van on 7 Mile Rim (he he mine).

MSN Autos shows that the Element has 6.9" of ground clearance, slightly more than when my vans were stock and I was able to get them to some rather interesting places.

For a bit more clearance CCM Offroad makes a 3" lift for the Element.

img0372tk.jpg

Last edited:

cnutco

Adventurer
Since you have stated mild trails I can see the Element being a decent vehicle for you.

I've seen some interesting things out on the trails out west. Subaru's running White Rim Trail, Honda Civic on the trails near Ouray, Crown Vic on Hell's Revenge and Baby Lion's Back and an Astro van on 7 Mile Rim (he he mine).

MSN Autos shows that the Element has 6.9" of ground clearance, slightly more than when my vans were stock and I was able to get them to some rather interesting places.

For a bit more clearance CCM Offroad makes a 3" lift for the Element.

View attachment 139443

I would drive it! Not a bad looking ride at all.

Fuel economy is a huge factor for OHV. I have the Gen3 Montero and I have excepted that it is not the best on gas but I also chose the truck for it off highway use.

Good luck on your choice!

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I can't speak of how comfortable Elements are to sleep in (unless you want me to ask my 100lb Retriever/Aussi sheepdog mix:sombrero:) but as for the reliability, fuel mileage and AWB capability, it's a great vehicle. My wife is happier as a pig in poop over it, being her daily driver. Driving around the rural/suburban mix, our 2011 averages 20 to 21 mpg with a solid 24 to 25 mpg on long road trips. Although it hasn't been used "off-road," it does fine on the unplowed roads around upstate NY where we live. It's also a very utilitarian vehicle. It may sacrifice looks for utility performance, but it has utility in spades!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I briefly considered an Element to replace my old Outback wagon years ago but quickly nixed it for a few reasons: First of all, the clearance and approach angles are very low and the gas tank is one of the lowest points on the vehicle which IMO makes it marginal for any kind of off-roading. Second, if I'm going to give up low range and ground clearance, I ought to at least get decent MPG and 20-24 is extremely low for that kind of vehicle (My 04 Tacoma, for example, could run some very rugged 4wd only trails and still get 20-22 MPG on the highway and 18 in the city. Hell, my 4th gen 4runner can get 23 mpg on the highway if I baby it.) For 25-30 MPG I'd be willing to make the sacrifice but 20-24 seems pretty bad for a vehicle that small. And finally, I've never been a fan of Honda's "real time 4wd" system. As I understand it, it uses a viscous coupling and essentially keeps the vehicle in FWD mode at all times until and unless the front wheels start slipping and only then do the rear wheels engage. With the Subaru, OTOH, all 4 wheels are always under power, although the amount of power front/rear can vary from 90/10 to 50/50 depending on whether the wheels are slipping (this is on the auto tranny models - manuals are 50/50 all the time.)

Not saying the Element would be a bad vehicle, just understand the limitations. If it got better MPG it might make a great DD or very light exploration vehicle. I do like the "big box" interior and the low-maintenance design, but I think if I had to pick a vehicle for such driving I'd end up with a Subaru Outback or Forester. The new Outbacks are huge and still offer amazing MPG from their CVT transmission. My brother's got a '10 Outback and on long road trips he can easily get 31-34 MPG. When you consider the size of the Outback that's pretty impressive.

njtacoma

Explorer
I have considered them because my wife loves the looks, but the mileage always kills the deal for me.

We don't have sleeping in it as a requirement, so I never considered that when looking at them, but you can do better mileage wise with several choices from Subaru.

Thanks for the replies everyone. At this point I'm pretty sure I'll get an Element. Yes the MPG could be better, but I'll be coming from a 2005 Powerstroke F250, so pretty much anything I get will be a lot better. As was said, I'll just have to understand the Elements limitations. I think I can live with it's limited off roading capabilities. If I have to park at the trail head and walk the rest of the way, so be it. At least I won't be sitting at home not living.

I like the Element and I know 3 people that had them. Biggest complaint was gas mileage. My friend had a early CRV and on road trips together, it was funny that our 02' Honda Odyssey van got better gas mileage (23.9 last trip, in winter with snow tires) and the new Odyssey does better.

None took them off road. Seems the 3" lift would be well worth it.

Anyways, there is a Honda tent option for rear hatch as well as a "cabana".
Tent-http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Tent-Element-Odyssey-Pilot__08Z04-SCV-100B.aspx

Cabana - http://www.handa-accessories.com/element/tentpoles.jpg

It seems to me, removing the rear seats and sleeping on the floor (onto the tailgate) would be more comfortable than those fold down seats, but perhaps they are OK??

Or a roof top tent perhaps - http://www.autohomeus.com/gallery/honda.php

Happy trails,
JR

abeaudin1971

Adventurer
I'm quite happy with my 03. The AWD is decent, don't get me wrong it's not a subaru or a proper 4x4 but in the snow it's fine.
Fuel mileage isn't great but it is way better than my old double cab tacoma 4x4 (especially up here in canada with fuel now at 1.20/litre).

Over the last 35k kms, the only thing that really needed replacement aside from maintenance items was the throttle body - if you get an early one, make sure that the cruise control works.
If it doesn't, chances are the pulley that the cruise cable is attached to is broken. The remedy? replace the throttle body.

I'd buy it again if I had the choice - hauls the mountain bikes, hauls the climbing gear, hauls stuff home from home depot, hauls gear to SAR missions - it doesn't turn any heads but it's reliable as heck.

If you're looking to go roof top tent, the bar spread is pretty small but you can strip out the headliner and install a more permanent rack (I did)

Last edited:

Amy H

Observer
I have a 2011 Honda Element AWD AT. I bought it as a car camping rig for my 9 year old son and my two dogs. It has its pros and cons. Let me know if you have any other questions about an Element...

Pros:
all the seats fold flat making a nice bed area. I fold down my rear seats and put rubbermaid totes in the foot wells to add length, throw a custom foam matt over the whole thing and I have a full size bed with leaving the two front seat operational. I am also only 5ft 2, a taller person might have to use all the seats. I feel safe sleeping in my car compared to a tent here in WA especially camping where bears like to raid your food stash. At the beach, I don't have to worry about my tent getting blown away either. My car is my tent with alarm and key.

Ecamper...my plan was to have the Ecamper installed so we would have room for hubby.

It drives great as a daily driver and even in snow it handles quite well. My AWD hasn't kicked in but on my last trip up Mt. Rainier, I had no problems on the plowed roads where my friends with trucks slid around a bit even with 4WD.

Captains chair type seats are awesome and the large windshield is like looking out an RV

Easy to clean dog hair and beach sand out of it.

Room under rear seats perfect for camp stove, reflextic and first aid. Most SUV's have no storage under the seats. I have room under even when the seats are folded flat.

Rear seats come out completely!!! or flip up out of the way. I fit a stove box in the back fully intact. It fit...just had to worry about weight.

It has a lift gate and a tail gate. great little area to sit on at the beach or camping especially since we do not pack chairs.

Very safe vehicle...like 8 airbags in that thing.

Cons:

Not the best MPG for a SUV. As stated above, I get around 19 mpg in town and 24.5 on highway.

Payload is a low 675 pounds. With the dogs, gear and 3 people we max that out fast. Only a 4 seater...no getting around that legally either. Ya don't want people sitting in the crumple zone.

the interior plastic scratches up so easy

4 cyl...not very powerful driving up the mountains...sucks getting passed by old ladies in minivans.

Your driving a box that max speed is about 67 or your just hitting an air wall that eats your gas.

the windshield loves to eat rocks since it is so flat like a Jeeps.

ground clearance is about 6 inches with gear in it. One of the lowest I have ever owned. You have to watch out for pot holes and going over limbs. I did ok on the Oregon beaches but stuck to the hard sand.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It has a lift gate and a tail gate. great little area to sit on at the beach or camping especially since we do not pack chairs.

Yeah, the Element is one of the few SUV-type vehicles out there that still has a by-God tailgate.

About the only thing I miss from having a pickup is the tailgate. So useful! I understand why SUV makers went for the "soccer mom liftgate" (it's cheaper to make, simpler to design and allows short people easier access to the cargo area) but dammit, I really like tailgates!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles