OT: Who is building their rig in case of a Doomsday scenario?

Bartonmd

Observer
Discussions on deuce's can go on forever. Despite the lowered carrying capacity, I think I would bob mine. Partially for ease of use, and partially in an attempt to not look too "military." If you've been around steel soldiers at all, I'm sure you seen this truck- Robr's Deuce I don't think his ended up being a bullet magnet.

When I say a bullet magnet, what I mean is "Hey, look at that vehicle! He looks prepared! I bet he has supplies in there! Get 'em!!"

long as you don't drive a Taurus, LOL

Well, yeah, it depends on the strength. Anything that depends on silicon can be killed by an EMP, but it depends on how strong it is, and how close you are to it.

Mike

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Whats up here guys? A thread with no pics and just links?:Wow1:

My BOV & BOT & BM (Bullet Magnet). Truck is too modern to be EMP proof. I have a heavy duty rack that can go on the roof of the truck.

IMG_5549-1.JPG

NKN_3028-1.jpg

Bodie_Aug2011+164.jpg

Utah_2011+267-1.JPG

Mojave_Rendezvous+107-1.jpg

Death_Valley+082-2.JPG

Trailer+213.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The known sources of EMP don't create enough EMP to damage a modern car. If you were close enough to those known sources of EMP to damage your car, you'd have bigger problems.......because you'd be dust.

Sure you can put your car directly under some goofball college's radio emmiter and it'll kill your car. But you ain't going to experience too much of that in the field.

Unless some majical new source of concentrated space alien EMP arrives, you have nothing to worry about.

EMP effects fragile computer circuits that are connected to extremly long antennaes, like a power line. An antennae a few hundred feet long like the wiring in a plastic car, like a Vette, won't soak up much voltage from EMP. Any decent farday cage like tin foil that's grounded works wonders.

I witnessed a truck get hit by lightning during storm season. I remember it well because I had to decide what was more dangerous, running out to my truck next to the one that just got hit by lightning in a nasty storm, or stayt inside a Cell tower in the middle of a farm which is so small it's really hard to get away from anything that lightning likes to hit. I stayed in the tower until it calmed down. The truck started right up and ran fine but his Galaxy Dx959 was toast. (but those radios, like my Dx55, fail quite frequently, so that may have just been coincidence)

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm more worried about being a bullet trap, blending in, chem weapons, backpacking off the road away from crazy people.

Laying low, hiking in the woods, is way safer than a jammed to a stop crowded highway filled with morons. People ain't getting smarter. 48hrs without power makes stupid people do really crazy things. Is it unwise to say that about 1/3rd of the people around us get way too weird/stupid/crazy when anything unusual happens.

Glad I allready live in a country area that makes a good bug out direction.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nah, that is to collect my fair share of EMP :elkgrin:

Allmost long enough. Maybe if stormy weather forces a cable/telcom wire low and you tag it with your antenna while space aliens attack us with EMP's........

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The known sources of EMP don't create enough EMP to damage a modern car. If you were close enough to those known sources of EMP to damage your car, you'd have bigger problems.......because you'd be dust.

Sure you can put your car directly under some goofball college's radio emmiter and it'll kill your car. But you ain't going to experience too much of that in the field.

Unless some majical new source of concentrated space alien EMP arrives, you have nothing to worry about.

EMP effects fragile computer circuits that are connected to extremly long antennaes, like a power line. An antennae a few hundred feet long like the wiring in a plastic car, like a Vette, won't soak up much voltage from EMP. Any decent farday cage like tin foil that's grounded works wonders.

I witnessed a truck get hit by lightning during storm season. I remember it well because I had to decide what was more dangerous, running out to my truck next to the one that just got hit by lightning in a nasty storm, or stayt inside a Cell tower in the middle of a farm which is so small it's really hard to get away from anything that lightning likes to hit. I stayed in the tower until it calmed down. The truck started right up and ran fine but his Galaxy Dx959 was toast. (but those radios, like my Dx55, fail quite frequently, so that may have just been coincidence)

majical space alien EMP is already here
e-bomb-fcg.gif

Actually the aliens came in the 1950s and secretly told us how to build Flux Compression Generators. That is how old this majick is.

They even wrote a paper on the idea way back in 1966 http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/cc/apjemp.html
and in 1975: http://cryptocomb.org/electromagnetic pulse bomb (Los Alamos).pd f

and performed other dastardly alien research:

[1] G.N. Glasoe and J.V. Lebacoz, Pulse Generators, Dover Publications, Inc., New York, 1965.
[2] Juan Carlos Hernandez, “Magnetic Flux Compression for High Voltage Pulse"

11522_23040941740.jpg

In 2009 the Army tested a high energy microwave emitter version of the FCG device, 15 cm in diameter and only 1.5 meters long.

"So what!" you say, "those pesky aliens will never weaponize it!"

Hey! Those computers weren't turned to dust! Ooops. (No, don't blame Windoze Majick for the failure, LOL!). Maybe it was a low hanging cable/telcom wire when stormy weather precipitated the Boeing space alien attack on us with EMP's........

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I am not trying to make this a political thread or anything like that, so please keep those comments to yourself. I have been thinking that if for whatever reason I and my family had to leave this country, what kind of rig would I want, what does it need to be capable of? This like that. I know this is a strange question to ask, but with all these rigs being built for extended travel in the wilderness or overseas, has anyone else thought about this too?

Just for my own curiousity, have you already taken care of "bugging in"? AKA staying at home and hunkering down?

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Chances are, unless you have a 2005+ vehicle (lots of gadgets), emp probably won't take it out. Congress had a commission report on emp in 2004 that tested 20+vehicles, 1982-2002, and most just needed restarting, a couple needed the battery disconnected to reset the ecm, and one lost a digital dash. Cars are pretty well shielded, or you couldn't' listen to an am radio.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Chances are, unless you have a 2005+ vehicle (lots of gadgets), emp probably won't take it out. Congress had a commission report on emp in 2004 that tested 20+vehicles, 1982-2002, and most just needed restarting, a couple needed the battery disconnected to reset the ecm, and one lost a digital dash. Cars are pretty well shielded, or you couldn't' listen to an am radio.

I read that report and also read that we need to understand the limitations of their testing before we can take the results as the final word.

"The U.S. EMP Commission tested a number of cars and trucks. Although this was the most comprehensive set of tests on vehicles that has been done, those tests were very poorly done because the Commission was financially responsible for the vehicles, but did not have the funding to pay for any of the vehicles they tested. The vehicles were borrowed from other government agencies, most vehicles from the Department of Defense; and they had to be returned to those lending agencies in good condition.

Those vehicles were tested up to the level that some sort of upset occurred, then further testing was stopped on that vehicle. In most cases, after the initial upset occurred, the vehicle could be restarted. In most of the remaining cases where the vehicle could not be immediately restarted, a latch-up had occurred in the electronics, and the battery could be momentarily disconnected to "re-boot" the electronics, and the vehicle could then be restarted. This temporary electronic latch-up failure mode caused by EMP is something that almost never occurs in automobiles during a typical lifetime of operation.

Only one of the vehicles tested (a pickup) could not be restarted after some minor work, and it had to be towed to the shop for repairs.

Very few of the vehicles were tested up to the maximum level of the EMP simulator. There was considerable disagreement among Commission staff members about how to report on the testing that had been done. Some EMP Commission staff members believe that the wording of the paragraphs in the EMP Commission's Critical National Infrastructures Report about the effect of EMP on vehicles is quite misleading."

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html

I'll add that the Congressional tests were based on theoretical levels from high altitude nuclear bursts (400 km) but not 40 km heights where the EMP pulses are significantly stronger. Either way, the video I posted makes that all moot because of what Boeing has demonstrated with a non-nuclear EMP source.

Wallache

Observer
"So what!" you say, "those pesky aliens will never weaponize it!"

Hey! Those computers weren't turned to dust! Ooops. (No, don't blame Windoze Majick for the failure, LOL!). Maybe it was a low hanging cable/telcom wire when stormy weather precipitated the Boeing space alien attack on us with EMP's........

I'm having a hard time following your logic to conclusion. Why would a hostile nation risk war with the largest military on Earth, just to fry some computers?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Well so far my plan is a get an older suburban 89-91 that has very little in the way of electronics. Cars with little electronics will not be affected or as affected in case of an EMP. A car sitting on rubber tires will be isolated in the case of EMP unless its close to power lines. ---snip----

If trying to make a vehicle more EMP resistant it would be good to check and probably improve upon all of the grounding points on the frame and the body. Newer 2000+ vehicles are not that great as evidenced by Amateur radio operators who have to go to tremendous lengths to kill all of the noise that gets into their HF radios. Older vehicles may have corrosion that affects the factory grounding straps. Improving the grounding includes making sure that some pieces of the car do not act as antennas such as the exhaust system. They are know to be one of the major problems for re-radiating injector coil EMF so it makes sense that it is a 2 way path that can conduct external noise (or EMP) back into the ignition system. http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=12686

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles