OT: Who is building their rig in case of a Doomsday scenario?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
How did I miss this thread???

A few of my own thoughts:

We (friends and family) have an emergency meet & greet schedule. Regardless of the situation, if there is a SHTF situation, we know to try and meet at X place on X day of the month. Around these parts (Portland, Oregon) the major issue would be earthquake/volcano (well, and zombies). With all the rivers, bridges would be gone - there's no point in trying to force an early meeting time - you're on your own to start, make it if you can.

For those of you in North America, a water filter helps, but why not just drink the water? If it's THAT much of an emergency, a little stomach ache and squirts won't hurt you. And you will build up a tolerance for giardia, and in NA there are no viruses in the water (generally). Water filters are great for backpacking, but if I am trying to fend for my family with whatever I can carry, a water filter is low on the list (and I'd go w/iodine tablets anyways, they are in my BOB).

If you are serious about being ready in a natural disaster/zombie apocalypse, get a HAM and make sure anyone you care about has one. Communication is essential to forming groups and it allows you to get in touch over distance (using a repeater).

And my final thought, if you're near one, steal a big boat. Plenty of fuel to keep you moving, generally solid radio communications, you can anchor away from people (and not use power), you can fish from your bug out vehicle, and you can get to way more places than you can with a car.

Crypto is the nasty one, and while rare, it is in our water. It's a bit more than the squirts. LOL. It can be fatal.
-
"Ain't hardly a river anywhere in the US that hasn't got cow poo in it." I'd put a water filter up higher on your list, mine's less than a pound. Besides, they are useful. Not just for bugging out. We use ours all the time canoeing as well as backpacking.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Crypto is the nasty one, and while rare, it is in our water. It's a bit more than the squirts. LOL. It can be fatal.
-
"Ain't hardly a river anywhere in the US that hasn't got cow poo in it." I'd put a water filter up higher on your list, mine's less than a pound. Besides, they are useful. Not just for bugging out. We use ours all the time canoeing as well as backpacking.

Good point, forgot about that. I'd still go with tablets just for space saving. I use my old MSR Sweetwater when backpacking, works well for this sort of thing.

madmax718

Explorer
As far as water goes, a little stomache ache and squirts could be the END of you. Not to mention blow your location, and make you useless to fight off anyone. Viruses are in the water, just not in the quantities that you think of. Put 100,000 individuals into the wild, that number will grow exponentially within a day. Iodine is fine, but it does not kill crypto- which is far more common than lethal viruses in your water. Even my water supply has detected amounts of crpyto- and iodine and chlorine does not kill it. Water filters are not just for backpacking, they are for anytime you cannot get potable water, or if the municipial water source is compromised. There are small sized water filters that can net you thousands of gallons, I'd do that before iodine. (and I've done iodine before).

Unless your operating the repeater, don't count on most repeaters being active.Unless you know the configuration and who's maintaining the repeater.. its just not happening. Fuel and power consumption. Short of a solar/wind array and a power bank, the repeaters will go dark shortly. But yes, ham is important, but its more than just having one, its knowing how to use it, and when.

If the conditions warrant it, yes, steal one. But if Im heading to my boat, and your trying to steal it... what do you think will happen??

madmax718

Explorer
I'm wrapping my Ford 5.4L ECM with left over exhaust insulation/PCV heater bags. They're woven metal like stuff. Then putting some tin foil over my body controller.
-
Many ECMS are a 3 sided metal box, the board slides in, then they fill it with potting material epoxy. You only have one side to shield. But even without that shield, it would take one heck of a direct EMP blast to reach components inside a metal car. I'm pretty sure the Military EMP shielding isn't anything you can't rig yourself. Many aircraft and ships have to shield their own electronics from their own electronics.
-
THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT. How am I going to explain this weirdness to my mechanic.

The electrical wires into the ECU will carry the current in and fry it. Get one off ebay/junk yard, and throw it an ammo can, along with a mass air flow meter, crank angle sensors, and voltage regulator. The ammo can is enough to protect it, and will also protect it from moisture.

theburtseoni

Observer
MVC-001S.JPG

1970 5-ton 6X6 with an old school Cummins diesel, 5-spd manual trans. Keep the fuel tank full and the solar charging panel aimed at the sun to keep the truck's batteries fully charged so you can leave asap. Keep it stocked with gear, food, water, extra fuel etc. An EMP from the sun or a man-made event will not fry it's electricals, it has no computer system or electronic ignition. It will get you to your mountain retreat and pack alot of gear in the process.:)

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Great rig. I've got a 1971 5-ton 6X6 ex Oz Army truck but it has singles not dualies, I wonder why the difference?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles