OT: Who is building their rig in case of a Doomsday scenario?

fnjeep314

Observer
I am not trying to make this a political thread or anything like that, so please keep those comments to yourself. I have been thinking that if for whatever reason I and my family had to leave this country, what kind of rig would I want, what does it need to be capable of? This like that. I know this is a strange question to ask, but with all these rigs being built for extended travel in the wilderness or overseas, has anyone else thought about this too?

Lost in Texas

It was never really my plan when it all started, but I just read One Second After and decided to go EMP resistant instead of fuel injected as originally planned. The odds are against it, but that's what being prepared is all about. What's your plan?

fnjeep314

Observer
Well so far my plan is a get an older suburban 89-91 that has very little in the way of electronics. Cars with little electronics will not be affected or as affected in case of an EMP. A car sitting on rubber tires will be isolated in the case of EMP unless its close to power lines. I would also keep spare ignition parts in the rig because the body acts as a faraday cage and will protect most if not all electronics. The suburban will be lifted, locked and stocked with food, supplies, and a 'living space' is thats what you can call the back area! Plus I am going to build expo trailer with a RTT and water, gas, ammo, guns will be in the suburban, batteries, hitch mount motorcycle carrier, you name it. The plan would be that if I needed to come home and hook up the trailer to the suburban, put the bike on and go. Hopefully it wouldnt take much more time than an hour to leave. I have a young daughter(currently 19 months) to think about, so I will need things for her, diapers, wipes, I also plan on having clothes pre-packed in a backpack to allow for a grab-n-go situation. All this can even be used in case of weather emergencies. Thats what I have mentally planned out so far. NOw to just get the money to make it all happen. I used to work as an Emergency Manager for Naval Air Station Lemoore, CA when I was in the Navy this last year, so I learned a lot when it comes to preparing for emergencies.

Bartonmd

Observer
FWIW, anything that LOOKS like an equipt bug-out vehicle would be a bullet/trouble magnet if something goes down.

Mike

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Well so far my plan is a get an older suburban 89-91 that has very little in the way of electronics. Cars with little electronics will not be affected or as affected in case of an EMP. A car sitting on rubber tires will be isolated in the case of EMP unless its close to power lines. I would also keep spare ignition parts in the rig because the body acts as a faraday cage and will protect most if not all electronics. The suburban will be lifted, locked and stocked with food, supplies, and a 'living space' is thats what you can call the back area! Plus I am going to build expo trailer with a RTT and water, gas, ammo, guns will be in the suburban, batteries, hitch mount motorcycle carrier, you name it. The plan would be that if I needed to come home and hook up the trailer to the suburban, put the bike on and go. Hopefully it wouldnt take much more time than an hour to leave. I have a young daughter(currently 19 months) to think about, so I will need things for her, diapers, wipes, I also plan on having clothes pre-packed in a backpack to allow for a grab-n-go situation. All this can even be used in case of weather emergencies. Thats what I have mentally planned out so far. NOw to just get the money to make it all happen. I used to work as an Emergency Manager for Naval Air Station Lemoore, CA when I was in the Navy this last year, so I learned a lot when it comes to preparing for emergencies.

Really? So any carburetor equipped vehicle will be good to go after an EMP? That's good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bartonmd

Observer
Really? So any carburetor equipped vehicle will be good to go after an EMP? That's good to know.

Not definitely one with electronic ignition. Something with a carb and point-type ignition, absolutely. Mechanical diesel with manual transmission, absolutely. Actually, I've read that new cars are supposed to be pretty protected against EMP, as well, especially if they're not running at the time. The car is a metal box (think faraday cage), and the ECM is in a metal box, so SHOULD be fine, from what I gather. I have not, however, tested this.

Mike

cahilj

My plan went that way for a while, and it may still. I haven't figured out the EMP issue yet, but in my opinion, that's low on the priority list. I'm more concerned about an uprising and rampant theft/vandalism before that. I can live in the truck, it has enough fuel on board for a 300 mile trip, enough water for a few days, common spare parts, built in air compressor, and enough communications gear to get in touch with whoever. All I'd need to do is throw the cooler in for a food supply, bug out bags, grab the guns, and go.

dblosch

Adventurer
Something with a carb and point-type ignition, absolutely. Mike

The carb in my old jeep is computer controlled. A carb and points is a good rule of thumb, but not a definitive answer.

Mechanical diesel with a manual (read: roll starts) is my guess at the best way to go. I think a military deuce (m35a2) would be a neat hobby truck that would serve this purpose wonderfully. The added benefit of the Multi-fuel engine shouldn't be overlooked, either.

Bartonmd

Observer
The carb in my old jeep is computer controlled. A carb and points is a good rule of thumb, but not a definitive answer.

Mechanical diesel with a manual (read: roll starts) is my guess at the best way to go. I think a military deuce (m35a2) would be a neat hobby truck that would serve this purpose wonderfully. The added benefit of the Multi-fuel engine shouldn't be overlooked, either.

Yeah, there was a time there, where the carbs were computer controlled, before they went to TBI; however, I think that started after everybody went away from points, so I hadn't thought to say it like that. IIRC, the computer controlled carbs started, at least at GM, around 1980, and didn't points die in the early-mid 70's?

Yeah, my 1st gen CTD 5-speed 4x4 is a pretty good one for that. Having said that, the multi-fuel engine in the duece is nice! However, like I say, anything like that would be a huge bullet/trouble magnet...

Mike

Rot Box

Explorer
If I was building a dedicated ultimate apocalypse (zombie's, government collapse, foreign invasions, extreme famine, Yellowstone volcano etc..) vehicle to get me to a bug out location it would definitely be a multi-fuel deuce with armor and a customized radio box. It would have more than enough fuel onboard to get me there without having to fill up. Bug-out in winter? The roof top tent and Coleman stove are not going to cut it here. I would have a wood burner stove (placed far away from fuel storage lol) onboard for heat and cooking... I can see it now... sweet :bike_rider:

As for a more realistic natural disaster bug-out rig. Start by contacting family and friends in other states ahead of time (as in right now) and make a plan to stay with them temporarily in the event that something catastrophic should happen. Randomly showing up on their doorstep asking for food would be really dumb. Figure out the best route and how much fuel/food is needed to get you there. I would outfit the Suburban with a lot more fuel capacity above anything else. 12mpg @ 36 gallons isn't going to get you very far and trying to buy fuel along the way would be a nightmare. Remember the lines at the gas stations after Hurricane Sandy?.....Ugh yeah :Wow1: I don't think all the off-road add ons are necessary. A winch and the lockers might help depending on where you're going but I'd take an onboard fridge and auxiliary heater (with plenty of fuel) before any of that. Also stated above 89-91's are not EMP proof--while they are relatively simple they still have computers and critical electronics. I'd go carb'ed with a manual trans older the better to avoid excessive vacuum lines, smog equipment and other headaches. 6.2 diesel is also a good option.

dblosch

Adventurer
I think that started after everybody went away from points...

Good call. I have an electronic ignition. I didn't realize there was such a gap time-wise between points and comp-controlled carbs? Learn something new everyday...

However, like I say, anything like that would be a huge bullet/trouble magnet... Mike

Discussions on deuce's can go on forever. Despite the lowered carrying capacity, I think I would bob mine. Partially for ease of use, and partially in an attempt to not look too "military." If you've been around steel soldiers at all, I'm sure you seen this truck- Robr's Deuce I don't think his ended up being a bullet magnet.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Long after all fuel runs out there will still be four legged criters aka horses, mules, ox, ext.

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Not definitely one with electronic ignition. Something with a carb and point-type ignition, absolutely. Mechanical diesel with manual transmission, absolutely. Actually, I've read that new cars are supposed to be pretty protected against EMP, as well, especially if they're not running at the time. The car is a metal box (think faraday cage), and the ECM is in a metal box, so SHOULD be fine, from what I gather. I have not, however, tested this.

Mike

long as you don't drive a Taurus, LOL

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

Mike

Ok. So my fj60 wouldn't be then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94