Help w/'90 Suburban lift kit and tire selection

EricU

Observer
I picked up a clean '90 V1500 4wd Suburban to use as a teenager/Wakeboard boat tow rig. The 105k miles 5.7 TBI is a little weak in the torque dept and is getting a 383 transfusion to turn the 700R4. The engine build is starting to get out of hand and is looking close to 450 ft-lbs of torque. Of course I have already fixed the broken stock radio and added a few extra speakers including a 15" JL Audio sub - but I did lose the cassette deck! I figure the music will help with our future adventures.

What I need help with is finding a lift kit (4"?) and some tires 275/70-18s? to handle the extreme conditions of frozen yogurt runs and towing the boat and teenagers to our local Northern California lakes

I want springs front and rear
I don't want any super aggressive tread designs
I have not yet picked out my rims, though am currently leaning towards 18s
I don't know (yet) what diff gears I have

Thanks for any help, Eric

mkitchen

Explorer
A local idea

For wheels, check out Stockton Wheel. They are in Stockton CA and make some very strong steel wheels. I don't have a short cut but you can look them up on the internet. The wheels are not cheap but they do hold up. I have friends that have been running them for years and I hope to buy a set for my 71 Ford. Fancy rims just don't seem to really fit on an expo vehicle. They seem to fit more on the street cruisers.

As far as size and type, I have been running BFG AT's on both my Tacoma and my F 250 and have been very happy with them. I do not really think a fellow needs a very aggressive tread pattern unless he is actually getting into a lot of mud and snow and most of us don't. The MT's wear very quickly and are pretty noisy on the pavement.

Your Suburban would look great with a set of 255/85/16 or 315/75/16. Either of these would give you plenty of sidewall for running at lower air. A wider tire is a bit of a hinderance in off road handling. Good luck on your choices.
Mikey

EricU

Observer
For wheels, check out Stockton Wheel. They are in Stockton CA and make some very strong steel wheels. I don't have a short cut...

Thanks, I know Stockton Wheel very well, used them years ago to widen Chevy Ralleys for a couple of different applications.

As far as size and type, I have been running BFG AT's on both my Tacoma and my F 250 and have been very happy with them. I do not really think a fellow needs a very aggressive tread pattern unless he is actually getting into a lot of mud and snow and most of us don't. The MT's wear very quickly and are pretty noisy on the pavement.

Your Suburban would look great with a set of 255/85/16 or 315/75/16. Either of these would give you plenty of sidewall for running at lower air. A wider tire is a bit of a hinderance in off road handling. Good luck on your choices.
Mikey

I am really not looking for much of an off road tire. I wasnt joking about this rig being a suburban teenage hauling - wakeboat towing through the mountains truck, that will see a lot of local "Bagel Runs" and trips to the local frozen yogurt shop --- So I definately dont want an aggressive tread.

Yes it is a poser mostly street rig that needs a little "bling" with the lift and tires, but it fits our purpose and I got it for a steal!! I paid less than the paint job would cost. Anyway after lurking around the net, this site seems to have the most informed followers and I need help with the suspension as I want a good driver that can handle some miles.

The current tires look good in the pics, but are dry rotted and need replacing -- so now is the time to upgrade.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
255-85-16 Hankooks on factory aluminum 2000-2007 classic rims.
4" lift should be cheap and all will tuck under the sub nice.

EricU

Observer
Well, I think I have the tires narrowed down to Michelin LTX M/S2 in a 275/70-18. Been running them on our work trucks (different tread model) and love em.

Now need to find some 18" rims that dont look too hokey

• What 4" lift kit would you guys recomend for this Suburban?

Eric.

Lift all depends on how you want it to preform.

You got three main options:
1) buy an off the shelf lift kit. These can be had complete with shocks and steering correction as well as brake lines. A lot of guys like tuff country, skyjacker,super lift, bds ( pretty much everyone makes a kit that is bolt on for this vintage GM.
2) Call up a company like Offload Design. They are out of colorado and specialize in these trucks. Give them a call and tell them what your after in a lift. Most likely you will want some 4 inch front lift springs, a rear shackle flip, raised steering arm, extended SS brake lines and a nice set of shocks. Also a zero rate for the back to recenter the axle and help decrease the burb *** sag.
http://www.offroaddesign.com/index.htm
3) go with a more flexible setup using stock rear springs up front......

If you can deal with removing some rivets I would go with option #2. I am running a Diy4x rear shackle flip and it rides real nice. Not super stiff like lift springs. Might check out other sites like ck5.com for more in depth info on lifting this era truck.

Nice burb! But I would build up that 700r4 or swap it out cause that 383 will eat it up fast if it as healthy as it sounds.

EricU

Observer
Dito on offroad design...

Thanks guys,

I just sent Chris at Offroad Design an email and look forward to hearing back from him. When it is all said and done, I will post a pic of the rig out in the wilds of our local bagel shop!!

Actually, I have a pretty nice Infinty sedan, an old Vette and my tried and true '01 F250 7.3 SD, but I end up driving the Suburban all over the place!!

Eric.

LIVEanimals

Observer
I've spent some time going back n forth on lift amount n tire/wheel size I finally decided on 4" lift with 315s for my 90 V2500 Sub. I pieced my kit together just because no one kit had everything I wanted.

My lift:
4" front RC lift springs
4" rear ORD shackle flip
ORD bad ******** braided lines
Bilsteins on all four corners
ProComp raised steering arm

It's not the fanciest kit. Oh well! Here's what it will look like.

315s
B1C620A8-27F4-42FD-BFF6-B9E9F7838ABB-3154-000004B154DC669B.jpg

2270C7EF-0DBC-40BB-9163-EBB6932BD60E-3154-000004B151BBEF71.jpg

35s
82848f03.jpg

315s
4in3157516.jpg

35s
4in35s7.jpg

35s
435.jpg

35s
4354.jpg

EricU

Observer
I've spent some time going back n forth on lift amount n tire/wheel size I finally decided on 4" lift with 315s for my 90 V2500 Sub. I pieced my kit together just because no one kit had everything I wanted.

My lift:
4" front RC lift springs
4" rear ORD shackle flip
ORD bad ******** braided lines
Bilsteins on all four corners
ProComp raised steering arm...

Thanks for the photos! Those 35s look pretty awesome, I wonder how they handle the highways as far as ride, noise etc (I can hear the off-road guys calling me all kinds of names now!!!)

I have been going back and forth with Chris at Offroad Design and am going to order a kit from him tomorrow (friday) consisting of the following;

• 4" FR EZride 73-87 Springs / Special Bushings and Sleeves for 88-91 K5 & Subs
  • 1/2 & 3/4 Ton Front U-bolts
  • 4" Shackle Flip Kit
  • 4" Raised Steering Arm
  • Brakelines
  • Swaybar Correction/Disconnect System
  • Greasable Heavy Duty Front Shackles
  • Greasable Main Eye Kit for front eye of aftermarket front springs
  • Greasable Rear Spring Bushing kit for 1 3/8 shackle: 1 1/2" spring eyes
  • Bolt-in Steering Box Brace (cracked my old '80 SWB Chevy's before)

I still need to decide on which shocks for my true Suburban as this thing will RARELY see any true off-roading. Just a bunch of mountain roads towing a bunch of teenagers and a wakeboard boat.

Thanks again, Eric.

LIVEanimals

Observer
Thanks for the photos! Those 35s look pretty awesome, I wonder how they handle the highways as far as ride, noise etc (I can hear the off-road guys calling me all kinds of names now!!!)

I have been going back and forth with Chris at Offroad Design and am going to order a kit from him tomorrow (friday) consisting of the following;

• 4" FR EZride 73-87 Springs / Special Bushings and Sleeves for 88-91 K5 & Subs
  • 1/2 & 3/4 Ton Front U-bolts
  • 4" Shackle Flip Kit
  • 4" Raised Steering Arm
  • Brakelines
  • Swaybar Correction/Disconnect System
  • Greasable Heavy Duty Front Shackles
  • Greasable Main Eye Kit for front eye of aftermarket front springs
  • Greasable Rear Spring Bushing kit for 1 3/8 shackle: 1 1/2" spring eyes
  • Bolt-in Steering Box Brace (cracked my old '80 SWB Chevy's before)

I still need to decide on which shocks for my true Suburban as this thing will RARELY see any true off-roading. Just a bunch of mountain roads towing a bunch of teenagers and a wakeboard boat.

Thanks again, Eric.

There is a thread floating around here somewhere about shocks, what it all comes down to is you won't be disappointed shelling out the bucks for Bilsteins shoot you're already buyjng a good quality kit might as well go the extra mile.

EricU

Observer
OK! OK! Twist my arm! I ordered the complete lift kit including the Bilstiens. (I feel like I joined a cult!) Now just have to wait, wait, wait for the parts.

Gonna order up the new rims and tires hopefully tomorrow if I can swing by the tire shop. I know I should do the engine swap first, but I aint gonna wait til I get the engine build done to install the lift kit.

Eric.

82fb

Adventurer
Before you order up your rims and tires, consider finding a set of cucv axles. Save big bucks on gears as they all had 4.56's, and comes with a rear locker and you get peace of mind knowing you don't have axles that are about as strong as stock jeep cherokee axles.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
315’s with about 4-5” lift. I run cheap Superlift shocks on this burb and my K10. My feeling is as heavy as these trucks your butt will never feel the difference between a cheap shock or top dollar shock but that is just me. Heck, the big trucks my company builds don’t even have shocks at all. The heavier the vehicle the less important shocks really are. Can our burbs get by without shocks, no….but I don’t think one needs to spend $400+ on shocks for them either.

8198078926_d94889476a_c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online