New Project '78 GMC Jimmy

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
-13* here now. 24" of snow in the last week, on top of the 48" +/- we already had. I think I might move to Colorado and enjoy some mild winters!

Nice find on the K5!

Wow:Wow1: The sking must be wicked in Whistler right now! You guys got powder?:drool:

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
Check out my craigslist score I got in trade for an old 350 short block and long tailshaft th400 I had laying around

IMG233.jpg

That my friends is a full float 14 bolt with 4.10 gears from a suburban with a matching dana 44, it's a big hub 44 but fine for my uses. I was on a high from my new acquisition on my way home when I ran into some traffic...............litteraly, at 50 mph. Here is the unfortunate result.

IMG234.jpg
Looks pretty bad, huh?
IMG235.jpg
The door got buggered by the army private that opened it for me
IMG236.jpg
Amazingly the passenger fender is fine, the frame is still strait too. All that has to be replace is the driver fender, hood, radiator support and grill shell. They don't make them like that anymore. The unfortunate VW I hit didn't fare so well, I think the Jimmy is going to be renamed "The Terminator" after this debacle. Unfortunatly I won't have time to fix it before I leave with the Air Force so the restoration will begin in August when I get back.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
All I can say is `OUCH´:Wow1: I hope you were not hurt in the collision. At least you have the brains and guts to rebuild that classic as opposed to junking the truck as many others would do. Let the terminator get a new life....:)

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
I hit my head on the steering wheel (lap belts) but not very hard so I walked away uninjured, there is always something to be thankful for. I could just part it out and double my money but I kinda like it too much for that. The parts that got damaged had rust issues anyway so they were slated for replacement once the project really got underway. I'm thinking about an ORD 4" lift with 33" tires and swaybar disconnects, the new axles have 4.10 gears so a 700r4 will be needed to keep the thing driveable on the highway. Probably just do a stock plane vinyl interior kit but I'm going to set up the camper so I can use the rear seat, meaning I'm going to gut it and redo the cabinetry to fit in the back. I'm thinking about putting flip down seating on the sides ala blazer chalet look which would give me seating but also an interor eating area for when it gets cold on hunting trips here in the Colorado Mountains.

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
Okay, it's been a month so I figure it's time for an update. I picked up the camper and put it on. It's pretty rough so I'll probably be rebuilding most of it. I also have a new front clip that I'm picking up in Pueblo, CO on Friday after work. Planning on having the truck back on the road again by next week but we'll see if that happens. Next step will be the axle swap and maybe some new seats since the original ones are pretty thrashed, I'm thinking of a set of 95-99 buckets with the 3rd row from a Suburban. Anyway, I'll start to put up picks as I take the project forward so there will be more to come.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Man, that is a total bummer about the front clip. At least you and the other guy were alright! Could have been a lot worse.

Glad to see you are still staying focused on this project even with the crash set back. Lot of people would throw in the towel on a project for much lesser setbacks. Are you picking up the front clip from a yard down here or a Craigslist score? There is a really nice truck salvage yard in Canon City that specializes in old and new truck parts. They have more squares in stock that Home Depot!

Looking forward to watching another old GM build.

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
Thanks for the vote of faith Larry. I've really enjoyed watching your blue truck and the polarbear progress on this forum and 67-72 chevy trucks. You are actually how I found this site years ago following a like with your truck. The front clip is a Craigslist score, rust free with a good hood for $150. I'll have to check out that yard in Canon, which one is it? I live up in Florissant.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Cool, we’re friends from way back!

The yard in Canon is Canyon Truck on Temple Canyon Rd. 275-5236 They are loaded with trucks and SUV’s of all makes and model years. The owners are great guys too. Plan on spending an entire afternoon shopping around and bring a wagon or something with you to pull your scores out. The place is huge and you will be walking up and down little canyons and ravines looking at stuff. If going in the summer, bring a Rattle Snake beater!

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
Well, I got the front end torn off a week ago and had to remove the forward most crossmember because it got buggered in the crash. I got the crossmember strait enough with a BFH and am waiting to get a chance to bolt it back in.

IMG256.jpg

I also picked up a complete front end off of a 78 K10. It has no rust (only surface stuff) and a strait hood to boot.

IMG257.jpg

A few of you asked for pics of the camper, I have it mounted to the truck now. It's a Fibercraft and needs some work, the canvas is good so I'll probably end up tearing it down to the framing next summer and redoing a lot of it. I finished what the previous owner started and tore out the remaining cabinets. Here are some pics after I finished the deconstruction.

IMG260.jpg
IMG259.jpg
IMG258.jpg

Hopefully I will have a little time this weekend to get the Terminator back together and start moving forward again.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Sweet! Glad to see you are still building this after the little "set-back" there. Looking forward to seeing this progress! Loving the deals you are getting too. haha. You are a regular bargain hunter! Nice work.

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
I honestly enjoy the process of finding and trading stuff way more then I should. I got to work on the Jimmy a little this morning before heading into work and came to the conclution that I'm going to have to replace the front crossmember. I did manage to find a guy here in the Springs that's parting out a truck. He bought it for the engine but doesn't have a cherry picker. Well, we worked it out that I'm going to head over there tomorrow after church (if the blizzard doesn't happen) with my cherry picker and help him pull the motor and I get the crossmember for free. Not only do I get a free part but I get to help out another gearhead so that'll be cool. More updates to come (I hope).

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am glad to see that you have a new front clip for your truck and it seems like the project will come together nicely. Keep us updated and good luck on rebuilding that fine old rig.... Cheers Chilli.:)

jps4jeep

Observer
I used to have the same truck, 78 K5 custom deluxe, same exact color, hawaiian blue with white top and solid windows.

This is around 1992, I just swapped the 78 grill for a 79 grill.
IMAG0279.jpg

Mine was also a 400 but had a SM465 trans, AC, Cruise, but rubber floors, no interior panels and crappy vinyl seats, manual windows and locks.

Sucks about the accident, good luck!

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
Finally got a chance to put the front back together. I still have to realign it and hook up the electrical but I don't really feel like doing it in the snow. Here's some pics of the progress. My best friend who was helping me out said it's now a frankentruck, even more so when I put on the brown tailgate.

IMG271.jpg
IMG270.jpg

On the camper I'm contemplating cutting off the rear part to fit over the tailgate and putting the rear hatch from a pickup topper on the back of the camper. I'm thinking that would be great to put an SUV tent onto and increase the living area. What do ya'll think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles