New Project '78 GMC Jimmy

98dango

Expedition Leader
break lines for a g20 or g30 van there long cheap and have the correct ends. I used them on my Chevy a few years back

BeastlyJimmy

Usually on the gm front axle its the hub that failed

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
So taking your advice, I got under the the Jimmy today. I locked the hubs, and turned the front driveshaft with the transfer case in 2wd. And the drive shaft turned, the u-joint on the drivers kept turning, that means that hub is broken correct?

Now as well, the drive shaft turned freely, about half a turn untill I caught some where. I am if I forced it it would go by then free again till anouther half turn. Could that still be a hub problem?

Timorriw I am going to take iff the front drive shaft from the axle and isolate where the bind is.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Correct with your hub assumption that it is not working. Before you replace it though pull the hub and inspect it. Not uncommon for people to forget to grease the hub, ever. Raise that tire off the ground and inspect the splines and gears for damage, should be able to move the gear along the spline shaft freely by hand. The spring that is mounted to the cap should have some tension.

BeastlyJimmy

I'm willing to bet the bind is in the driveshaft. Let us know what you find.

Correct with your hub assumption that it is not working. Before you replace it though pull the hub and inspect it. Not uncommon for people to forget to grease the hub, ever. Raise that tire off the ground and inspect the splines and gears for damage, should be able to move the gear along the spline shaft freely by hand. The spring that is mounted to the cap should have some tension.

Alright, so I pulled the drive shaft and you are correct gloria. There is too much bend on the u joint coming out of the transfer case. That is the awnser to the bind. To fix I think I found a way to drop the t case, bout half an inch. I think I have everything to do it, but need a few washers to make it happen. So awesome call!
pynuha7e.jpg

8yja9udy.jpg

Now onto the hub.. I pulled the hub assembly today, and it looks like the hub that is on is the wrong size? I am not too sure on hubs them selves, but it does not look right to me. Any suggestions?

se7aqyva.jpg

a6umabys.jpg

ymaba2yq.jpg

e5ybasy6.jpg

e2u2unu9.jpg

ynyjahem.jpg

The hub does move like it should but is not even touching the axle.
I counted the spline and it is a 20 spline on the low on the hub
And 19 on the high end of the axle.

superbuickguy

Explorer
but where's the piece if it broke? something's odd there; but I'm not willing to pull my front end apart to figure it out (sorry).

Most people don't realize this, but locking hubs need to be pulled apart and regreased once a year - otherwise they stick and won't engage (or won't disengage). From your pictures, it's pretty clear that your hubs probably have never been off (the rust on the inner bits). The brightside of all that is this: normally speaking the bolts that hold the twist lever housing to the inner coupler seize (because it's steel in aluminum) and break when you try to pull it apart (really, don't ask me how I know this).

here's an exploded picture of the hubs from the back side

stock_front_axle.jpg

the shaft itself is pretty standard and was used in about every US made 4x4 truck

and it's not a huge job, but it does take time. While you're there. Replace that u-joint...

Driveshaft angles. if you lower the transfer case, you actually make that joint a more of an acute angle. If it's hitting, it's probably because the CV joint is worn out. When you convert to part-time 4x4, you can lower the transfer case to get the rear angles better; but when it's full time, you'll destroy that joint and you'll have vibration issues galore. If you ignore it long enough, that shaft will come apart and first hole your oil pan then your transmission pan... other than those reasons, you're golden.

BeastlyJimmy

Ok so update, I was able to get under the Jimmy and lower the transfer case about one inch. I used grade 8 washers to separate the longer washers on the frame. It did help with the binding, but not enough, so shims are next to order. It did however help a ton with the rear drive shaft.

Before
he9yza4u.jpg

After
apejepes.jpg

majy5ada.jpg

Now onto the hubs!
I made a breakthrough haha. I was able to pull apart both hubs at once today and found my missing piece! When I opened the passengers hub there is an adapter, is the best way I can put it, that I am missing on the drivers side, does anybody know what this is called and where to get it? It looks almost like part of the hub assembly its self but I am not sure.

unygy4az.jpg

hu9epy3a.jpg

2e8avugu.jpg

There were also some differences between the pass and driver sides as well. When it came to the hub there were bolts on the drivers side and then nuts on the passenger side. I am not concerned about that because it looks like everything will go tougher like it should once I have the adapter part.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94