Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Bumper Build -- Van

Default Rear Bumper Build -- Van

I've finally started building my rear bumper, so here it is so far. Everything will be built in: the camera, power plug, trailer plug, onboard air quick connect, and a locking fuel door to access the water system. I'm also building a skidplate to take the place of the factory spare tire mount, which will be cut out. Going 2" below the frame level will give me 10.5" of height for a water tank & compressor. Here's what I've done so far, I'll post more pics as I make progress.----------Chris

Cardboard mockup

After the plasmacam

installed / more mockup & work to do!

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader

Default cool!

Very cool! Are you planning to add protection for the rear corners?

I can't see where you're going yet, is that a mounting bracket or is that the bumper. Keep the pics coming.
    My Jeep

Taj-Mah-Al 6x10-Cargo-Trailer

Proud member of the Appalachian Ridgerunner Supreme Expedition Squad A.R.S.E.S.

I do plan on adding some corner protection. I'll play with some tube work & see how it looks. I haven't had a good "vision" on that yet.

What camera are you thinking about using? If it is a wireless, make sure it reliably transmits the distance to your in-van receiver. The inexpensive VR3 units have trouble with vans. At least it did with mine,

Right on!!!

Keep the pictures coming!!!

Thanks !! I'm using a SAVV camera, not wireless. I'll have more pics up 2maro, I'll be hard at work getting everything finshed up..
    Chris Steuber
    02 E350 7.3 V4
    11 E350 5.4 V5
    99 E36 M3
    www.ujointoffroad.com
    4x4 Van Conversions

I scrapped that first bumper and made a few changes, including moving the power plug to the drivers side. After that, I added the mounts for the d-rings, and started adding all of the mounts for the goodies.

Next step was to cut out the spare tire x-member. I used an air hammer to get all of the rivets out since I don't really trust myself with the torch. We then had to torch off the corners to get it out. Now I have plenty of room for goodies. I also decided to make the skidplate/x-member out of 3 pieces, the side mounts will be steel while the plate will be aluminum. working on that this week.......

Chris Steuber
    02 E350 7.3 V4
    11 E350 5.4 V5
    99 E36 M3
    www.ujointoffroad.com
    4x4 Van Conversions

I'm glad to see this progressing! I'm especially interested in the next steps (I'm happy with my bumper). I have that place reserved for wetsuit storage and.... (we'll see when the time comes).

I've got the side mounts for the skidplate almost done, and I hope to pick up the aluminum this week. I did get my air compresor today, it's the new Warn VTC compressor, the big one!! Can't wait to get it mounted & start plumbing!!

Chris Steuber
    02 E350 7.3 V4
    11 E350 5.4 V5
    99 E36 M3
    www.ujointoffroad.com
    4x4 Van Conversions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast