Rear Bumper Build -- Van

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've finally started building my rear bumper, so here it is so far. Everything will be built in: the camera, power plug, trailer plug, onboard air quick connect, and a locking fuel door to access the water system. I'm also building a skidplate to take the place of the factory spare tire mount, which will be cut out. Going 2" below the frame level will give me 10.5" of height for a water tank & compressor. Here's what I've done so far, I'll post more pics as I make progress.----------Chris

Cardboard mockup
l_14f5c90cf5a5ab2f1925b181d27ff0dc.jpg

After the plasmacam
l_00b97ccf66bc335dc987e8b00ba715ac.jpg

installed / more mockup & work to do!
l_15c2eb969aae1bb70429623297f754d2.jpg

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I can't see where you're going yet, is that a mounting bracket or is that the bumper. Keep the pics coming. :)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I do plan on adding some corner protection. I'll play with some tube work & see how it looks. I haven't had a good "vision" on that yet.

Red Lodge

What camera are you thinking about using? If it is a wireless, make sure it reliably transmits the distance to your in-van receiver. The inexpensive VR3 units have trouble with vans. At least it did with mine, :oops:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks !! I'm using a SAVV camera, not wireless. I'll have more pics up 2maro, I'll be hard at work getting everything finshed up..

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I scrapped that first bumper and made a few changes, including moving the power plug to the drivers side. After that, I added the mounts for the d-rings, and started adding all of the mounts for the goodies.

l_45fe799b0f8ffb544d0dec5b7557ec72.jpg

Next step was to cut out the spare tire x-member. I used an air hammer to get all of the rivets out since I don't really trust myself with the torch. We then had to torch off the corners to get it out. Now I have plenty of room for goodies. I also decided to make the skidplate/x-member out of 3 pieces, the side mounts will be steel while the plate will be aluminum. working on that this week.......

l_a6b21b83548bb69ff4681f352615d39a.jpg

Clark

Observer
I'm glad to see this progressing! I'm especially interested in the next steps (I'm happy with my bumper). I have that place reserved for wetsuit storage and.... (we'll see when the time comes).

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've got the side mounts for the skidplate almost done, and I hope to pick up the aluminum this week. I did get my air compresor today, it's the new Warn VTC compressor, the big one!! Can't wait to get it mounted & start plumbing!!

l_dd7c4a56a0fd679d313ec724f7ef0b7c.jpg

spencyg

This Space For Rent
That VTC is a monster!! I suppose its rather appropriate to have one mounted in your van:) How many amps does that thing draw???

Spence

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
These pieces are the last thing to be finished before the holiday break, I'm sad that all progress on the bumper/skidpalte will stop until I'm back. :(

These brackets sit inside the framerail & support the aluminum skidplate that holds all of the goodies. I originally planned to make the entire skid from steel, but decided this will be easier to install & lighter.

l_b758b1b3e65f5f80caab6800dc054118.jpg

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Manually is a pain in the ***, usually requiring drilling a hole at each end of the slot and then cutting the web in between them. I have been doing the slots with either the CNC mill or CNC plasma table....much easier:sombrero:

Spence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles