Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Biking Above Arctic Circle - N Scandinavia

Default Winter Biking Above Arctic Circle - N Scandinavia

Hey,
    Time again for another adventure. It's a short one this time, but it won't be lacking in adventure I'm quite sure - a 3 week winter biking (the pedal sort that is) and camping tour from Kiruna to Tromso in northern Scandinavia. Setting off in 2 weeks.... very excited about it and just a little apprehensive. Pedalling in +30C I'm quite comfortable with, -30C could be quite another matter!!

Well, pre-trip blog post if you're interested is here:
    Winter Bike Tour Countdown - FTO-Day Minus 15

FTO-Day Minus 1: Very Excited... this time tomorrow I'll be with my bike in Kiruna, northern Scandinavia.

All packed and ready to go:
    gear.jpg

And just for fun - my personal favorite style for wearing the buff is the ninja bandit one:
    buff.jpg

Hi Helen,

If you are going for 3 weeks we may well cross paths. Kiruna is exceptionally cold this year but it should warm up a little heading northwest.

Do you know what roads/route you will be traversing? E10/E6/E8?

We will be on the E6 for most of our leg to Nordkapp. In that particular area on the 7th/8th Feb.

Keep your eye out for 3x Land Rovers

G
    Land Rover D90 & Sankey Overland Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
    Hi Helen,
    Do you know what roads/route you will be traversing? E10/E6/E8?
    We will be on the E6 for most of our leg to Nordkapp. In that particular area on the 7th/8th Feb.
    Keep your eye out for 3x Land Rovers
    G
    Not sure the numbers, but the route is here: route
    We'll be on the E6 though between Alta and Tromso. Fly from Tromso 13th Feb so you'll probably pass us!
    Stop and say hi if you see two cold cyclists... I doubt there'll be many others biking so good chance it'll be us!

Quote Originally Posted by hlloyd33 View Post
    Not sure the numbers, but the route is here: route
    We'll be on the E6 though between Alta and Tromso. Fly from Tromso 13th Feb so you'll probably pass us!
    Stop and say hi if you see two cold cyclists... I doubt there'll be many others biking so good chance it'll be us!
    ar, I see. Not direct then! In that case you will be cycling toward us. I think we overnight in Alta on the 8/9th.

PM me if you want to exchange numbers. Not sure what you have in the way of back-up but sometimes its good to have someone in the area

G
    Land Rover D90 & Sankey Overland Trailer

4 days in of biking and camping and now thawing out in an abandoned hut. Planning a night in hotel tomorrow to dry things out.... Good stuff but not enjoying the frozen toes and fingers!

G - I'll pm my no. Do stop if u see us! It's rather quiet on the bikes all day!

good luck on your continued bike ride; looking forward to the final summary once you're safely back and thawed

3 weeks are up and now back in the UK after a great 800km ride up north.
    I've put up some photos for starters: Photos from North of the Arctic Circle

Those are some awesome pictures. Looks like a hell of a time!

How'd the fingers and toes fare?

Must have been really peaceful and quiet in the winter by bike. I don't know about you, but when I'm pedaling I demand (and maintain) a silent bike... and I'm guessing you do too. No sound at all...

Very impressive. And I am from Quebec, and used to ride my bike to work in the winter...and felt on ice/slush many times...

Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast