Mitsu Fuso Camper examples

pacer

Observer
This our new baby - 97 Canter running gear and chassis - there were apparently two of these made for a tour company in Queensland (would love to find the other one).

This will be our home for 6 months of the year - am fitting it out at the moment. (must find super singles for it)

Love our Big Blue Bus!
View attachment 212245

Cheers all - see you in the great outdoors

Well there you go, what an awesome reply to find here!

Is your bus 4x4? Looks like it...
What engine, trans, TCase are in it?

Awesome rig! I'm installing a '97 4d34 in my LandCruiser currently and know the engine well if I can help...

aljenau

Thanks for that - I will check details on plate later - I so want that bottom one - is it still around? How progressive to actually have a drivers side door!

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Thanks for that - I will check details on plate later - I so want that bottom one - is it still around? How progressive to actually have a drivers side door!

Hi Alan, yes it's still around. The owners have become very close friends on mine and I know he was offered substantially more than it cost him so i doubt he would ever sell it. They keep it like new inside and out and travel in it for about 3 months every year for the last 10 years. It's sitting on a FG649 chassis. The white bus is on a 637 and I guess yours is a 637 too right.

Yeah the drivers door was cool. Your bus is pretty cool too!!

DzlToy

Explorer
I dig the COEs from the UK.I believe they get better fuel mileage than our US market aero trucks.

Several European countries limit heavy trucks to 40 - 50 MPH (road speed limits, not necessarily engine goverened), so yes they would see better fuel economy. Our truckers would too if they didnt drive 75-80+ MPH.

Aero on a big truck does not come into play until about 50-55 MPH, so there is no need for an "aero" cab if you are driving at <50 MPH.

Finally many European cities are very tight compared to the wide open spaces of the US and further there are strict overall length limits for truck and trailer.

All of these elements combine to make a large cabover prime mover an obvious choice in other markets such as Europe and Asia.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I'm just wondering how many others have had the joy of having a front tire blow out on their FG while they are on a highway.
Both of my times have been on the way back from Moab to CO.(yes, twice) You know the show, jack sinking into the dirt, over tightened lug nuts, big pipe extension to get everything loose, lots of black flies and it's around 110 F out there.
Steering get's a bit strange on these things when you have a blowout. By luck, there wasn't anybody in the left lane when this happened the last time, I just missed a car the first time.
Yep, running Michelins in the front now.

DzlToy

Explorer
Not on an FG, but I had a steer tire blow out on a Bering MD-26 cabover, while towing a 48 foot GN trailer and it went across two lanes of traffic with a quickness. Thankfully there was no one there and I was able to get the truck to the shoulder. Cheap tires, probably Chinese, instead of the good stuff, but it was not my truck or that never would have happened.

Edit: six foot cheater bar and a one inch socket wrench did not budge the lug nuts, so a local wrecker service was called to the tune of $$$$.

Lesson: buy good tires, keep them in good shape, have the proper tools with you and don't let a monkey with a 1" air gun put your lug nuts on. The mechanic said it took over 650 pounds of force to break the lugnuts loose on the 19.5 wheels that were on the truck.

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
There is a reason I don't let the tire shop install the wheels anymore, I'm the person that has to change them on the side of the highway.
I like being able to get the lug nuts off, that and the parts I have had to replace due to things being over tightened by one shop.
Left handed threads also seems to confuse these people.

Unimog435

Just saw a Fuso in Bozeman with an expedition-style camper on the back.
Camper had a tag on it "Intercontinental Truck Bodies"

Tried to stop the owner but was too late - anyone have more info on this?
It looked like the camper would work well on the Mog.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I am not sure if this is the same company but there is a ICTB plant here where I live. http://www.itb.ca/

There web site is not that great.

The work they do is amazing!! We have a rescue truck built by them and I have seen some of the work and always thought that this would be the way to go, have them build me a shell for a truck and do up the inside exactly how I want it.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'm just wondering how many others have had the joy of having a front tire blow out on their FG while they are on a highway.
Both of my times have been on the way back from Moab to CO.(yes, twice) You know the show, jack sinking into the dirt, over tightened lug nuts, big pipe extension to get everything loose, lots of black flies and it's around 110 F out there.
Steering get's a bit strange on these things when you have a blowout. By luck, there wasn't anybody in the left lane when this happened the last time, I just missed a car the first time.
Yep, running Michelins in the front now.

One important skill to remember is that if a front tire blows out, immediately push the accelerator to the floor to stop the truck from heading towards the blow out side. Do not hit the brakes until you have controlled the direction with the accelerator and aren't heading into oncoming traffic or the ditch. The blowout produces a force vector towards the blow out side. Pushing the accelerator to the floor produces a forward force vector to counteract the blowout vector. Braking immediately does not do the same thing. There are some YouTube videos which illustrate this. This knowledge could save your life. Program it into your brain. I used to own a Bluebird Wanderlodge. A member of the yahoo Wanderlodge group died after a front tire blowout, swerve into a ditch and a collision with a tree. The correct procedure is counterintuitive.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
One important skill to remember is that if a front tire blows out, immediately push the accelerator to the floor to stop the truck from heading towards the blow out side. Do not hit the brakes until you have controlled the direction with the accelerator and aren't heading into oncoming traffic or the ditch. The blowout produces a force vector towards the blow out side. Pushing the accelerator to the floor produces a forward force vector to counteract the blowout vector. Braking immediately does not do the same thing. There are some YouTube videos which illustrate this. This knowledge could save your life. Program it into your brain. I used to own a Bluebird Wanderlodge. A member of the yahoo Wanderlodge group died after a front tire blowout, swerve into a ditch and a collision with a tree. The correct procedure is counterintuitive.

I did not know that, but it makes sense. Thanks! I can goto bed now :)

haven

Expedition Leader
Two Fuso campers at the 2014 Overland Expo West. Photos by forum member 1stDeuce, who agreed to their use here

This is a design exercise by Four Wheel Campers. So far, they have not announced plans for production. This camper would be a good fit on any van cab-and-chassis, including models from Sprinter, Ram ProMaster, Nissan NV, and so on.

IMG_3369_zps02f5a307.jpg

And here's the EarthCruiser

IMG_3372_zpsee35fdd1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94