Mitsu Fuso Camper examples

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Agree they are lovely.
If I see the Camper Trophy vehicle again, I will take more notice of it and get you some photos.

alan

Explorer
No. Seeing it in the background, I thought you may have been at an adventure rally or something.

Have never seen a Camel Trophy vehicle here myself but there were a couple of them at Overland Expo a few years back. Very well kitted out vehicles. The Camel Trophy is a bit like the Olympics of off-roading I think.

Looks like Johan and Wilanda borrowed the same colour scheme. At least it's not beige. Hahaha. Actually I met them a couple of years ago before they bought a truck. Nice couple.

And what's wrong with beige!

dlh62c

Explorer
Very cool! Only took him and his wife 4 weeks to build. Sounds like I need to step my game up.

The lack of a winch, super singles and suspension modifications doesn't seem to slow them down. It's simple, hand crafted and gets the job done. I bet there's some incredible stores to be heard.

I'm trying to see if they have a blog on their travels. If I find one I'll post a link to it.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
"Sounds like I need to step my game up"
"doesn't seem to slow them down"
Humm, my take way was the guy is 75 and has two kids young enough to be 'homeschooled' :Wow1:

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
Enjoyed Saturday arvo (and dinner) with John and Ann at EC HQ in Bend weekend just gone.
They have been on a round the world trip with a DIY ( A very good DIY!) camper on a 2005 FUSO just heading to LA for the trip home.
Anne and John_5.jpg
Anne and John_9.jpg
Anne and John_18.jpg
Anne and John_14.jpg
It was great to catch up with them again, last time was at the camp oven festival in Queensland Aus just before we left for the USA.
Seems like a lifetime ago.....

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Nick Disjunkt (JIM THE TRUCK Blog) had some trouble with rocks getting stuck in the DUALS, but i cannot find the exact page on his website.

duel: a contest with deadly weapons arranged between two people in order to settle a point of honor. (i.e. nothing to do with tires :D)

There is also conern of being able to air down a dually tire for several reasons. Firstly, most dually tires are high load range with stiffer than SRW sidewalls, i.e. designed to carry heavy loads or you likely would not need dual rear tires. They do not air down well, the lips are different than normal truck tires and the insides of the tires can actually rub together at low pressure or high loads, causing both tires to fail.

Dually tires are for stability and for heavy loads, not for serious off road work.

Bris31

Adventurer
Also changing inner tyres, airing down/putting air on 2 more tyres can be extra work for the driver and the compressor.

dlh62c

Explorer
Nick Disjunkt (JIM THE TRUCK Blog) had some trouble with rocks getting stuck in the DUALS, but i cannot find the exact page on his website.

Keep in mind JIM THE TRUCK weights out out at a whopping 14 Tonnes. He was lucky that he was able to limp to a shop with one flat and one aired tire. It doesn't hurt to stop from time-to-time to check for rocks. He admitted he probably drove 100 miles with the rock stuck between the tire.
http://jimthetruck.blogspot.com/2014/07/out-of-utah-and-into-colorado-how-to.html

The truck camper group has been known to install spacers between their duals to air down while running on a beach.
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/off-road-expeditions/how-to-truck-camp-on-the-beach

Switching from duals to singles depends how far off the beaten path you intend to go, how extreme the conditions are and how much money your willing to spend to make the switch.

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
I've driven My MF since 1998 with duals, never any problems anywhere until last Monday, a rock. That SOB was probably about five pounds. It probably took an hour to break it up with a hammer and pry it out. I would have been better off to just remove the outer wheel.

dlh62c

Explorer
I've driven My MF since 1998 with duals, never any problems anywhere until last Monday, a rock. That SOB was probably about five pounds. It probably took an hour to break it up with a hammer and pry it out. I would have been better off to just remove the outer wheel.

There is an easier way, if your carrying a tow strap or chain. I'll repost a link to a YouTube video on removing a rock stuck between dual wheels.
http://youtu.be/DFs7fiYXSzQ

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online