Recomendations for light down parka

rotti

Adventurer
Looking for a lightweight hooded down or synthetic filled parka for backcountry skiing/camping.
I have found a few that look promising:

Outdoor Research Virtuoso Jacket
Marmot Men's Guides Down Hoody
Mountain Hardwear Kelvinator Down Jacket

Any thoughts on these or other recommendations?
Hopefully there will be some end of season sales on these.

GHR

Observer
For backpacking, ski touring more than using for car camping etc. you might want to focus on jackets with 800+ down (lighter and warmer). However all the jackets you noted are 650 down which is fine, just a bit heavier.

All seem reasonable and I note that REI has at least 2 of these on sale. I think any one will be fine, but check fill weight on each to determine which is likely warmest (they will be close I expect). You also might want to check out Mountain Equipment Coop here in Canada, like REI but and they have many great jackets of their own brand which are very comparable to any top end brand, but usually less expensive. Check out their web. Personally I would only recommend a jacket with 800+ down today, but I do have both a Patagonia And a Feather Friends (out of Seattle -but check out the new hooded Helios) jacket that are both great and 650 down.

A good brand will get you a good jacket, higher cost will get you a lighter jacket, using the lighter down and probably with a better shell cover.

Last edited:

rotti

Adventurer
Thank you GHR for the advice. Will keep my eyes open for the 800 fill jackets although for my use it maybe overkill.
I added the Helios to my list.

Noticed the Mountain Hardwear Kelvinator Down Jacket online for $148 today, so prices seem to be dropping.
Thanks again.

mrraulduke

I just got a first ascent hooded down jacket for ski touring and it is a great jacket, and even better at 40 percent off. 800 fill power down, easily compares to the big name brands

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Mountain Hardware has just undergone a re-branding revolution in the past two years and is employing new technology that's top of the line. Would highly recommend. That said, I've an Arc'teryx synthetic jacket I live in (Atom SV) and it's bombproof. Marmot is solid, as is Pata if you can get them on sale.
Definitely decided if you want down or synthetic. Down will have more "poof / cosy" factor and is toasty, but performs poorly if it gets wet. Synthetics tend to be less fluffy but perform much better when wet. I always use a synthetic on the river or in mixed conditions.
Happy shopping!

GHR

Observer
The 'value' right now might be the 'First Ascent' by Eddie B. as noted above. If you can find what you want these tend to be undervalued. I could spend a lot of time talking gear, but if jackets you noted meet your needs and you find on sale you wil be happy. Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends (both two of the very best brands for down garments in my opinion) typically are only on sale come,May or June (I remember buying a very simple down jacket by REI once years ago in June in New Mexico for $25. I still use it more often than any other until it really gets cold).

williard86

Observer
Just got A mt hardwear ghost whisperer for Christmas. Not sure of the price but this thing is light! Like 6.7 ounces or something. Packs into its own pocket. It will be awesome when I go backpacking again (dealing with a foot injury now). It's a little glossy for my taste but the functionality wins out for me. I think my girlfriend called it "fashion forward." Whatever the hell that means...

I'll get to use it officially for the first time next week in Big Bend and I can give an update if you'd like.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
I have a Berghaus jacket with Primaloft.

Two previous down jackets went in the bin after getting a bit dirty, and essentially fell apart internally after washing.

This jacket looks as good as new out of the washer, and is a fab jacket in itself. I'm not sure I'd get anything down again.

:)

Mitubitchy 3.5

Adventurer
Hi,

if you wash, and more important dry, your downjacket in the right way you will be happy with them over
years.

You can read on the Website from Mountain Equipment whats good and whats not.

Primaloft works well in wet conditions ( like Scotland or western Norway) but its more weight, more bulky and
after 3-4 years its lost the loft.

Stephan

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody has worked great the past few years for me and I expect many more years to come. Warm, dry, lightweight and packs down into the small chest pocket though it may or may not be a bit light for your requirements.

Really, best to try on different brands/jackets to get an idea on what fits and feels the best to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94