Canyonlands Winter 2013

sinuhexavier

Explorer

A week from tomorrow I'll be here, Greater Canyonlands, for 10 days of filming and photography. Joining me will be Ace Kvale and Craig Childs. We'll be exploring three different zones of the Greater Canyonlands area, Island In The Sky, Robber's Roost and below the White Rim using our vehicle as a base camp in each respective zone and continuing on foot. We will purposely seek routes on foot that are in no way technical, beyond a few dozen feet of webbing there will be no specialized equipment. Conditions are ideal with day time temperatures reaching the 20º's and night time temps just below 0º. I was just in Moab last week and there was about 12" of snow on the ground with more expected over the weekend.

Winter camping is overrated and it's not very highly rated to begin with. The winter offers a stillness that the other seasons can't provide, when speaking with a ranger about conditions she asked, "There haven't been any tire tracks on the White Rim in a couple weeks, you sure you want to go out there?" Now more than ever. You see, it's not that I don't like people, I just like them a whole lot more when they're not around.

Stay tuned, I'll keep this thread updated with preparations and a full trip report when I return.

mph

Expedition Leader
Well that sounds like a horrible time:). Enjoy!

Bring the bc gear and make a few turns on the Henry's! Safe travels....

gfiero

Adventurer
I couldn't agree more, people are more fun when they are not around. I know I appreciate my kids, (all adults now) more now that they have gone out on their own.

I have done some winter camping but do not consider myself an expert, but have always enjoyed the quiet and the peace that you find in the winter. The light and the clear air seem to show things that are hidden the rest of the year....

The pictures are fantastic, more please...

goranvolvo

Observer
How to get to the spot in the first picture I m leaving Milwaukee on 01-18-13 on my 20 day trip and I like to stop there to

sinuhexavier

Explorer
How to get to the spot in the first picture I m leaving Milwaukee on 01-18-13 on my 20 day trip and I like to stop there to

Now, if I told you, you'd miss out on all the fun of finding that spot.

I'll give you a hint... It's not in Canyonlands National Park or Dead Horse Point State Park.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Doesn't surprise me the ranger said that. They don't get too excited about folks in the back country when conditions aren't optimum, and for good reason as most people don't go prepared for what they're about to face. For a bit Shafer was closed preventing traffic through that section and quite possibly mineral bottom road. Also, i saw them having to plow the island of the sky entrance just to get to the visitors center not long ago, again.. another reason why he may have not seen too many visitors.

Have fun and stay warm.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Doesn't surprise me the ranger said that. They don't get too excited about folks in the back country when conditions aren't optimum, and for good reason as most people don't go prepared for what they're about to face. For a bit Shafer was closed preventing traffic through that section and quite possibly mineral bottom road. Also, i saw them having to plow the island of the sky entrance just to get to the visitors center not long ago, again.. another reason why he may have not seen too many visitors.

Have fun and stay warm.

Schafer Trail will most likely be closed as will Mineral Bottom, but that leaves the fairly innocuous Potash Road. Barring any mega-storms like we saw in December 2009, I don't really see an issue. Worst case scenario we walk down from Island In The Sky, adds some miles on foot that's for sure.

ANDYROO

Adventurer
DSCN1666.JPG

Spent 9 days there over the Holidays....Shafer and most trails were closed but it was super beautiful and Island in the Sky wasn't an issue at all. Needles area was mainly closed down which was a shame. Temps were a max of 25 during the day and down to -2 overnight. Snow was dry and perfect powder!

LaSals were passable but tons of snow which frankly was awesome! Ended up winching someone out of a snowbank as well...:wings:

DSCN1668.JPGDSCN1642.JPGDSCN1649.JPG

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Now, if I told you, you'd miss out on all the fun of finding that spot.

I'll give you a hint... It's not in Canyonlands National Park or Dead Horse Point State Park.

Pretty vast area. EP is about sharing information. Canyonlands is big and comprises three sections. This guy is traveling from WI and you could at least PM him or vice versa. That is a long haul and not likely a trip that happens often for someone coming from that distance. Cut him some slack and help out.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
The Gear

Putting together packing list for this backpacking trip on top of the normal gear that goes in the truck. It's been a while since I've "shot" away from the support of a vehicle so I'm really looking forward to the challenge. Who knows what'll happen... It could be this incredibly liberating experience or a complete and utter nightmare. I have a feeling it'll be the former.

On my back...

Osprey Backpack
Marmot Lithium Sleeping Bag
The North Face Alpine Gore Tex Bivy (no longer available)
Thermarest Prolite Plus
Nalgene Bottles
Steri Pen
Bush Buddy Stove
Snow Peak Trek 1400 Cup/Pot/Plate/Pan
Snow Peak Spork
3 Lighters
Matches dipped in wax in film container
First Aid Kit
Black Diamond Headlamp
Toilet Paper
Phone phone/compass/map/light/boombox/camera
Lowe Pro Top Loader Pro *clipped onto chest

On my body...

Marmot Alpinist Jacket
Marmot Alpinist Bib *if the weather is good enough I'll leave these behind
Patagonia Fitzroy Down Jacket
Arcteryx Aphix Jacket
Cahartt Pants
Icebreaker Undies All natural merino wool = no stink.
Smartwool Socks
Danner Mountain Light Boots
Beanie
Bandana's
American Optics Sunglasses *I wear prescriptions and these are by far the best out there.
No gloves unless daytime temps look to be under 20º

Camera Kit (really slimmed down from my usual kit)
Canon 5D MIII
Canon 24-105 IS EF 4.0
Canon 70-200 IS EF 2.8
Canon Intervolometer
Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripod
Linholf Head
Tiffen ND Filters .3 .6 .9 1.2
B+W Slim Circular Polarizer

trackhead

Adventurer
Pretty vast area. EP is about sharing information. Canyonlands is big and comprises three sections. This guy is traveling from WI and you could at least PM him or vice versa. That is a long haul and not likely a trip that happens often for someone coming from that distance. Cut him some slack and help out.

I would suggest (with the utmost respect and politeness) that the question can be answered readily with a little geographic logic and mapping. In my opinion, like SX eludes to, "adventure" is better found on your own, and this one can be figured out quite readily with maps, Google Earth, and the litany of information on the internet. To me, it's more fun to figure it out myself, than follow a GPX track. The landmarks in the photo give the location away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94