New toy

revor

Explorer
Looks sooooo ......Ahhhhh..... English bling huh!?

I've a complete set of black Eybrows in the attic (doesn't everyone?) they'll go on as the weather improves.

Ordered a Steering wheel (just a little smaller so i don't whack my right elbow) I have some lovely square steel tubing the will become sliders her soon... Plus the cage and new front bumper to install.. Plenty to do and only a little time to do it.. plus take pictures all the while..

revor

Explorer
dieselcruiserhead said:
I was eyeing that Red Rover on several of the other forums and on LRX thinking how unreal it would be to own such a beast :)

So far She's been a good truck. Only a fuel leak somwhere keeping it from starting on the first crank. RHD is fun too. Once the weather gets above
-5,000,000C I'll start to fiddle with the truck.. For now drive enjoy and wish for a better heater:wings:

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Very cool. The RHD is fun but I still find myself walking to the left and feeling like an idiot. What kind of transmission? Lt77 LT85? And I just looked back over the post and cant find what motor is in it. Diesel or gas?

revor

Explorer
kellymoe said:
Very cool. The RHD is fun but I still find myself walking to the left and feeling like an idiot. What kind of transmission? Lt77 LT85? And I just looked back over the post and cant find what motor is in it. Diesel or gas?

It's a 300Tdi, R2380,1.4 LT230.

I find I have to pay attention to where I'm at but no more than that, The biggest hurdle has been those days when my left are feels it doesn't want to cooperate with shiftig duties!

revor

Explorer
Well we just got back from our first trip in the "Mighty Red Devil Duck"

WOW! All I can say is WOW! Well I can say more and luckily for you all I will! :shakin:

First of there is a ton of room inside for cargo. That said my wife filled it! Silly I know four days in Moab and we only left the sink at home! (we'll be working on that).
Next I'm thinking that I'll be be doing something different with the rear seating, it's just too short of knee room for the 5'8" 11 year old and he's only getting bigger.. So I think I'll fix that up for him.

The driveline and suspension.. The 300 TDI is a remarkable motor! I knew that going in but the little guy really surprised me! Making the 4.6 in my similarly geared Disco look puny! Torque is where it's at and the mountain passes did not bother this motor nearly as much as they bother my gassers!

The suspension is only set up with OME med. duty rears (+660) and Med duty(+225) fronts. I chose these because with the family in the truck more of the cargo duties will be religated to the trailer. The rear sat 'extra tall' anyway but once we got some gear (not the sink) and some bodies in the truck it settled in quite nicely. We ended up with about a 3" lift from where it sat with the origanal (sacked) springs. The Boge Self leveling unit is still in place but it will need to come off as it doesn't have enough travel to work with my plans. It was also riding on the factory shocks which are too short.

Even with an incomplete suspension the truck amazed me off road, there where several spots that had me nervous (sidehills) but that extra 10" of wheelbase serves to mellow things out a bit. It was odd as many a time I thought I was done with an obstacle but still had 10" to go!!

I loved it! What a ride!

Next comes shocks (blingsteins in a 12" version). Tires and wheels (285-75-16) on some steelies. I have the Roll cage to put in. A Rockware front bumper will improve the approach angle over the ARB, I have material for sliders, Of course a front ARB Airlocker and a Rear Detroit Locker and my axles. I have an old York AC compressor that will work nicely for on board air. Trailing arms, steering stuff is a must. The extended range fuel tank, and I'll either fab up my own or purchase a water tank for the beastie. And a tent.

Then Karen can have a go at the interior!

All in all that's not a lot of upgrades, and they are only required because I'll push this truck.

Photo stolen from Jen Burris!

Chucaro

Adventurer
Beautiful rig and the Tdi 300 is an excellent engine. If you need a bit of more torque a tune up of the pump will improve heaps!
Congratulations and enjoy it.
Cheers from Oz

revor

Explorer
Chucaro said:
Beautiful rig and the Tdi 300 is an excellent engine. If you need a bit of more torque a tune up of the pump will improve heaps!
Congratulations and enjoy it.
Cheers from Oz

Thanks for that Arty (right?) See you over at AULRO from time to time. Yeah she's a beaut! I've got plans for the little engine that can, including some tuning and a few other things. First it has to warm up enough for me to want to.
Changed the springs in 28 degree weather, that's enough..

Chucaro

Adventurer
revor said:
Thanks for that Arty (right?) See you over at AULRO from time to time. Yeah she's a beaut! I've got plans for the little engine that can, including some tuning and a few other things. First it has to warm up enough for me to want to.
Changed the springs in 28 degree weather, that's enough..

Hi Keith, looks like that you visited my page. Arty is one of my sons he own the 2 door Rangie in the gallery, Carlos is my other son with the yellow Rangie and I am Arthur the owner of the Disco and 109 and the BMW bikes.
If you need a document in how to tune up the pump in the Tdi 300 let me know
Cheers

gjackson

FRGS
If you need a document in how to tune up the pump in the Tdi 300 let me know

Arthur,

I'd be very interested in said doc! Post up if your willing, or send me a pm. I've got one of those de-tuned ROW 300tdis, and really need a boost.

cheers

oonimog

Adventurer
I'm just about to begin converting my V8 110 to the 300Tdi and am also very interested in tuning up the IP. Please post or PM me as well!!

Thanks

Chucaro

Adventurer
gjackson said:
Arthur,

I'd be very interested in said doc! Post up if your willing, or send me a pm. I've got one of those de-tuned ROW 300tdis, and really need a boost.

cheers

PM sent, Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles