New toy

revor

Explorer
History has portrayed the High Pinion, be it Ford, Dana or any other brand as a weaker cousin to the Low Pinion. Especially if running regular cut gears. I don't think it to be as much of an issue with the proper gears. Besides it's all we can run up front.

Yup the D60 is A Bear to set up but in the end it's a strong beastie and tremendously upgradable! (think I need 40 spline axles in my Deefer?) But it's a bear to set up and these days I only do it out of the truck.. I'll probably wuss out and put a Detroit in it and run 35 spline axles, easiest and cheapest for me (drop in Dana 70 No-Spin and my big Spindles)

I too like the Electric Motors> I run mine with a DPDT relay and a maintained contact push button, slick as butter on a hot pan! But in the interest of KISS I wondered if the cable actuators worked as well (just required effort LOL)

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Come on, at least put a selectable locker in the rear! And I think 35-splines will be just fine. Don't imagine you'll be bashing this truck too hard.

The cable lockers are $160 a shot and really, there isn't any trouble with the electric actuator. I'll stick with what I know. I don't mind messing around with the wiring and it lends itself to being separate from the rest of the truck wiring. A hot and a ground is all you need and everything else is self-contained.

I have a water-tight box in the 88" holds the switches and lights. I'll probably mount them on the dash in the 109. That dash will be all home-grown anyway.

Here's the box in the 88":

lockbox.jpg

revor

Explorer
1.5" 35 spline? Yikes! I know I'll never break that!

I love electric gizmos too Jim.. I'm just looking at options.

I'm still up in the air about selectable in the rear. Everything I've ever driven has had a Detroit in the rear, the longer the truck the nicer they act, heck even some of the Forest Service trucks I drove had one in the front too.

Selectable for the rear is ARB in my book, the rest haven't proven themselves to be all that great based on what I've heard and installed. So it becomes complicated.. Hoses, valves, knudtinator bearings etc (bet you always wondered how you spelt that:))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles