04 3rd gen Dodge Ram rock crawler expedition build

swirvin21

Hard Corps
that block under the pedal seems a little small....LOL! Sounded like you were getting up past the 4K level a few times there. Was that slick rock or were there some other issues I couldn't see as to why you had soo much wheelspin trying to go up?? Wet?? Etc

gun45boat

Adventurer
Swervin. Yes, The first video, I made it up easy that morning, then it rained and it turned to DOG ****, THe clay in Florida is relentless when wet. Sticks pretty good when dry, but the games change when is gets moisture in it. The second video, is after it rained, and needless to say I was scrambling to find traction.

Thanks for the props, You noticed they were stock steelie wheels with the Rim stiffeners welded to them. (good catch) ,, I meant to do that... The hole in the hood was an idea I had, Still havent finished with the "idea" yet LOL

swirvin21

Hard Corps
Those look really Really good! Guessing you're planning on plating them in with something? My suggestion would be to go with a grated sheet over the frame and a removable lighter gauge plating for when you're driving on the road or in muddy conditions. There's nothing nicer than being able to take off the door sheets, but still be able to have some protection from rocks and branches due to the grating. My hope is to one day convert my doors to gull-wing or lambo style so as to maximize rocket protection without giving up access. Might look weird and awkward, but can't get in and out of a buggy with no doors when you're gimpy...

gun45boat

Adventurer
Gimpy... LOL I am getting there, Every year I get older, I get more sore from injuries in the past. I am going to be a ************* cripple in the next 10 years at this rate. Lambo doors!!!!! NICE

Here are the finished product, The door latches came in and finished them up with the new side view mirrors.

Attachments

• td3.jpeg
    td3.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 37
  • td1.jpeg
    td1.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 38
  • td2.jpeg
    td2.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 35

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
That is some incredible video of your Dodge eating up those rocks. I can definatly see you are a serious wheeler and that you dont give up easy. The truck was litteraly Smokin, as you blasted up that road, if you can call it a road!:Wow1: Thanks for posting up and I love the fabrication on the doors....:drool:

gun45boat

Adventurer
Thanks so much for the thumbs up on the build, it is always nice to get good feedback from fellow off roaders. I have been following your build, and your adventures for a year or so now, I have always enjoyed your build, and how well you deal with the issues of wear and tear. I have always enjoyed your write-ups. Thanks again for the good words.

gun45boat

Adventurer
Alright, just finished building the "BALLZ TOUGH" rear drive shaft for the truggy. Made from 3.5" OD .360 wall DOM tube with double Mig welds on BOTH ends. WITH slotted yokes.:Wow1::Wow1::Wow1::Wow1:

Balancing was a *****, but got it perfect... shaft weighs in at 65 pounds LOL

Lets see if I can break this one on a rock LOL WOT on a stroked HEMI, Spraying Nitrous oxide, with a beer in one hand :snorkel::snorkel::snorkel:

Attachments

• ds1.jpeg
    ds1.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 19
  • ds.jpeg
    ds.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 19

Aegis

K9 Handler
... Is it bad that my absolute favorite part of this rig is the dual headlight setup, lol?

(But yeah. Everything else has sent me from six to midnight too. Oof.)

:)

gun45boat

Adventurer
Thanks for the thumbs up!!!!! I appreciate that.. I will be off the grid for a while, I am leaving tom. In the Dodge Build for a 6 week cross country trip to hit up all the major trails around the US of A. Moab, Area BFE, Pikes Peak, Alpine Loop, The RUbicon Trail, Fordce Creek, Death Valley etc etc etc .

I will be posting a Travel thread over at the Powerwagon Forum. http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1441

Talk when I get back on November 17th

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles