Can anyone recommend a good quality cooler??

Jevy

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

I'm in need of a cooler to put on my RTT trailer and was hoping I could get some suggestions for one that is of good quality and has the ability to keep ice for an extended time. It would be of great benefit if I can find a cooler that can keep ice for a 2-3 days. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

RangeBrover

Explorer
I use an Engel 35, keeps ice for 4-5 days when all the items put in are pre-cooled, kept in the shade and only opened when necessary.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
coolers that last 3-4 days are all over or so igloo and coleman say. I have used some of their coolers but hav yet to have one I would recommend. you can get some really nice stuff in the $300-$400 range in the yeti, pelican brands but then your paying out the nose for a cooler that you still have to fill with X lbs of ice every time you use it. My last Coleman needed 90lbs of ice to last 5 days... That is a lot of space taken up by ice and not food. I have come to the conclusion that I need a fridge.

Jevy

Adventurer
well I wish I had space for a fridge but I just don't have the room for one. My cj has a fiberglass tub so no rear tailgate and I don't know of a way to install one in my m416 trailer without it becoming a major project. Plus I am going to use my trailer for hauling kayaks and don't really want to leave a fridge in a jeep or trailer at a boat ramp. There's just too much crime in my area for me to feel comfortable doing that.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
well I wish I had space for a fridge but I just don't have the room for one. My cj has a fiberglass tub so no rear tailgate and I don't know of a way to install one in my m416 trailer without it becoming a major project. Plus I am going to use my trailer for hauling kayaks and don't really want to leave a fridge in a jeep or trailer at a boat ramp. There's just too much crime in my area for me to feel comfortable doing that.

That stinks. I had a coleman 7 day that if it had of had a way to lock the top would have been good. I hear decent things about the new Igloo 7 day but it is a beastly thing to.
IDk I think your best options are of course the yeti, grizzly, Engel, or pelican. Costly but it really depends on what your long term outlook is.
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Extreme-Duty-Coolers/category/cat100872

RangeBrover

Explorer
One tip is that when I use my Engel I put in a block of ice as opposed to the regular bags of ice, it last significantly longer and my local grocery store carries them.

XJINTX

Explorer
Just an FYI... in Austin, Tx they sell Yeti coolers at the facility as scratch and dent. It's first come but possibly they would ship? If you want the info give a shout and maybe get a great cooler at a good price.

Joker

Adventurer
Well if you have space for a cooler you have space for a fridge because you can get a smaller fridge since you don't need the space for ice but I hear what you are saying about theft that's a major concern. On the other hand if you are at a boat launch people there probably know what a Yeti cooler is so that would get stolen just as fast as a fridge so you are still out $300. You may want to think about going cheap, I have an Igloo Ice Cube and it works pretty well especially when you put ice blocks in it as RangeBrover suggested, I have had them last four days and the coolers are under $50 for the 48 quart.

http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/All-Coolers/48-Quart-Ice-Cube

RangeBrover

Explorer
Well if you have space for a cooler you have space for a fridge because you can get a smaller fridge since you don't need the space for ice but I hear what you are saying about theft that's a major concern. On the other hand if you are at a boat launch people there probably know what a Yeti cooler is so that would get stolen just as fast as a fridge so you are still out $300. You may want to think about going cheap, I have an Igloo Ice Cube and it works pretty well especially when you put ice blocks in it as RangeBrover suggested, I have had them last four days and the coolers are under $50 for the 48 quart.

http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/All-Coolers/48-Quart-Ice-Cube

One of the guys I usually go fishing with has a Coleman cooler that works fine, he drilled a hole in the lid from the bottom so he could fill it with spray foam insulation which really helps. Apparently some of the newer Coleman coolers don't have insulated lids anymore which is probably one of the most important things for a good cooler.

Joker

Adventurer
One of the guys I usually go fishing with has a Coleman cooler that works fine, he drilled a hole in the lid from the bottom so he could fill it with spray foam insulation which really helps. Apparently some of the newer Coleman coolers don't have insulated lids anymore which is probably one of the most important things for a good cooler.

Interesting, I have another cheep cooler that we use for my kids lacrosse tournaments you know the kind with wheels. I may have to try that, I'm almost positive there is no insulation in the lid I just never thought of spraying that stuff in there.

I use a very un-ExPo Coleman Ultimate Xtreme on wheels. It will keep block ice for almost a week if you take care not to open it often for drinks, keep it shaded, etc. My next experiment will be with dry ice. Great value and service for the money, fairly inexpensive. :sombrero:

kevint

Adventurer
My next experiment will be with dry ice. Great value and service for the money, fairly inexpensive. :sombrero:

Be careful to insulate the ice from the cooler. I ruined a cooler once with dry ice. The plastic got so cold it cracked/shattered. I recommend wrapping the slab in a towel to keep it from touching the cooler. Also, be aware that anything stored underneath the dry ice will freeze hard.

Skidmarkart

Observer
I have this cooler...

http://www.target.com/p/coleman-xtr...885772&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10885772

It's about 10 years old and amazing. It will, no ******t, keep a bag of ice for a week, if opened sparingly and paired with some frozen water bottles. I love some of the more extreme folks Engel rigs and whatnot, but I am pretty much never out for more than a week. And I picked mine up for about $29 if I remember correctly. I freeze a few water bottles, freeze any food that freezes well, and use that to chill my cool but not frozen stuff. Then, I do not have to worry about water getting anywhere (in food or truck), and I seriously, no joke, have no trouble running that for 4-5 days. As the water thaws, I drink it or use it for cooking. AND, if you like a frosty martini while camping, this will do the job for 3 days or more. I know from... uh... extensive testing.

Just be sure to get the Coleman "Extreme" - my friend has the same cooler, same shape, better color, etc. but not "Extreme" and0 it doesn't work nearly as well, as the walls are nearly inch thinner.

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
^^^ We have two at work, probably the best 'regular' cooler Coleman ever made. After open house or training events these things will sit over in the corner for another week before someone thinks to look inside and we'll find there is still some solid ice floating around the leftover sodas. The thing to watch for is whether or not the lid has insulation in it or is just hollow. I know ours have insulated lids, but the newer 70qt Xtremes I saw in Academy Sports & Outdoors not long ago didn't. It makes a huge difference with these.

Ironically, we also just signed a dealer agreement with a certain TX-based cooler manufacturer... :sombrero:

P1020650_zps6eab8688.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz