2013 Ram pickup tows 30,000lb

haven

Expedition Leader
Once upon a time, a 20,000 lb towing capacity was considered a lot for a one ton pickup (e.g., F350, 3500). Times have changed. The 2013 Ram 3500 with dual rear wheels is rated to tow 30,000 lb. via a fifth wheel trailer.

How'd they do it? A Cummins diesel with 850 ft lb of torque, a new frame, upgraded Aisin transmission, and other upgrades. Hopefully, they upgraded the brakes, too.

Read more about the 2013 Ram HD pickups here
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/2013-heavy-duty-pickups.html

herm

Adventurer
Your employers insurance coverage creates the limitation. I'm sure.

lol....no....

DOT requires a CDL to have a trailer over 10k when passing over state lines. 14k within the state before you must have a class A.

there are really no limitations save for the dimensions of the rig when running "not for hire"

I run a class C, so pickups and such with up to 14k trailers and a hazmat endorsement.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
These trucks (by all three of the Big Three) are really amazing pieces of engineering. If we could just get the legislators to mind their own business... If we could go back to pre-2007 regulations and get the efficiency up vs a slightly dirtier engine imagine what those engineers could do!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Educated idiots.

And then there's ethanol in gasoline. Slightly improved emissions at the expense of fuel economy only benefits farmers.
When are these educated idiots from the EPA and CARB going to wake up to reality?
The new Dodges look great and all,but I'm glad I special ordered a 5.9 while it was "permitted".:victory:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
And then there's ethanol in gasoline. Slightly improved emissions at the expense of fuel economy only benefits farmers.
When are these educated idiots from the EPA and CARB going to wake up to reality?
The new Dodges look great and all,but I'm glad I special ordered a 5.9 while it was "permitted".:victory:

Can you say "The Establishment"? They would be the "educated" idiots. They also had the brilliant idea of DPFs to save the environment... :snorkel:

Ah well...I live in Southern CA...ask me how I know. :sombrero:

beags86

Adventurer
You better start educating yourself first before you talk. Ethanol does not benefit farmers. In fact most farmers have quit selling to ethanol plants and they have to buy though third party suppliers. Ethanol only survives though the government, and most producers will go belly up as soon as the tax breaks and subsidies run out. Anyway enough with that. Bottom Line is that fact that corn prices hasn't risen due to ethanol since '96-'01. Corn prices always has and always will be dictated world food supply.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
The idea of some random guy going to the dealership, buying his first diesel truck and then saddling up 30k behind it terrifies me. I think that all drivers should have to pass a book and behind the wheel test to get a trailer endorsement on their license. Especially if planning to go buy a monster toy hauler or travel trailer and fill it with stuff.

At some point enough is enough. Cut back the tow capacity and get us some dang fuel mileage again for pete's sake! Or here's a crazy thought.............make the truck's electrical systems more reliable.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The idea of some random guy going to the dealership, buying his first diesel truck and then saddling up 30k behind it terrifies me. I think that all drivers should have to pass a book and behind the wheel test to get a trailer endorsement on their license. Especially if planning to go buy a monster toy hauler or travel trailer and fill it with stuff.

The problem is that the US.Gov is far too stupid, drunk, or high to put together any decent test. A decent written test would be fine. But any kind of practical driving test is useless, the Gov deosn't know how to drive either, or is too drunk or stupid to drive anyways.

Ever take a motorcycle test? You get a temp motorcycle license. Drive everywhere except the interstate or at night. Then when you want, you get to take your riding test........in a goofball parking lot. A Moped or Dual sport bike is the best choice for it, some cone layouts are a pain on a sportbike. I have no idea what driving around in a parking lot is supposed to prove, when you been riding on the streets with a temp tag for weeks and aren't dead yet.

It is quite possibly one of the stupidest tests I've ever seen. I've met AMA Superbike riders that had trouble getting around some of the courses. Passing the parking lot test, proves nothing, except that mopeds are great to ride on at the mall.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have to agree on the testing thing.

I ran semi trucks up and down ski hill summer maintenance roads in all kinds of mud and snow for years before I took my class 1 (A) license. The amount of times I slid down those roads with all wheels chained up still makes me wonder how I didn't kill myself. Take a snowcat up 6000' no problem, then unload the cat and go back down with 12,000 lbs gone from over your drive wheels. Repeat with 25 other cats in both spring and fall.

When I finally found time to go legit and get my 1 (A), the woman from the DMV who did my road test, had never even moved a truck in a parking lot before.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Important to remember you cant even haul the trailer EMPTY without a CDL. Some guys thinks its the loaded weight. In Oklahoma you need a class A just to haul a trailer over 10k, and I don't leave the state with a trailer.
lol....no....

DOT requires a CDL to have a trailer over 10k when passing over state lines. 14k within the state before you must have a class A.

there are really no limitations save for the dimensions of the rig when running "not for hire"

I run a class C, so pickups and such with up to 14k trailers and a hazmat endorsement.

upcountry

Explorer
Hmmm....

I have a Class A CDL with hazmat and tanker endorsements and no restrictions and havent driven a rig in over 15 years (still have the license , only different from state of origin.I have not taken a test since I got the license)

I got the CDL in Hawaii when I turned 18 ands was driving Pineapple trucks and farm equipment as a summer job to pay for college. Then the next year the age limit shifted to 21, and I had a CDL at 19 that was also good on the mainland.

I got a job at the university I attended on the mainland (15 years ago, not that I am dating myself or anything) driving garbage trucks (Class B) and I was only 19, in a state that required you to be 21 to have a CDL, using my Hawaii drivers license. The university allowed it because I was an "out of state" student and was not required to have an in-state drivers license (they actually prefer you dont so you'll never have a chance of getting "resident" status and they can gouge you on tuition. Try to figure that one out...............

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
A friend of mine, OH truckdriver, has to renew his Hazmat every year. I think that's what he said. Written test and quite expensive to stay licensed. He wants out of truck driving. I think I might want to learn, just as a backup plan.

upcountry

Explorer
A friend of mine, OH truckdriver, has to renew his Hazmat every year. I think that's what he said. Written test and quite expensive to stay licensed. He wants out of truck driving. I think I might want to learn, just as a backup plan.

You are right. I just checked my license and although I still retained my Class A CDL with no restrictions (meaning I can legally operate any transmission type), I no longer carry my endorsements. They must have fallen off when I transferred my license from Hawaii to Washington.

BTW, having a CDL is great, but (at least here in Washington) you are treated differently for speeding tickets and other infractions.

But, as you suggest it is a good back up plan. I could always revert to driving for a living if I lost my current job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior