Xterra 2wd question

Adventure IQ

Explorer
Have a paid-off X. wish it was 4wd but its not. Not wanting a new payment and really keep it on logging roads...though it has gotten me stuck a few times with the light weight and lack of good off road tires that bite. But with most of our trips in it, we really dont need 4 wd and our 4x4 trips are in the Jeep.

Still would like to lift it maybe 2-2.5 inches so I can get some better tires in there and pick it up from the floor a bit. Spent tonight researching lift kits...and finding a few here and there for under $500.

What would you recommend for 2003 Xterra?

Last edited:

skibum315

Explorer
Well, that sucks ... I had a whole thing written out, before you edited to include year, then when I posted saw the '03 comment ... went back to edit my post and half of it was gone.

*SMH* ... stupid Tapatalk. I dont know the 1st gen as well as i do the 2nd ('05+), but at any rate, search for "Xterra PML" on google, you should get some good stuff. Front lift can be had by re-indexing the torsion bars, which is just the time cost to do it. For the rear, I think you can do either a longer than stock shackle for the spring, or an add-a-leaf (AAL) ... either should be less than the $100-200 range, but I haven't priced them recently, so don't quote me on it.

Last edited:

skibum315

Explorer
I'm not a big fan of lift blocks, they won't work if the rear suspension is sprung under the axle (SUA, like on the '05+) ... I'm not sure which side the spring is on for the '03, but that's easy to check. If it's over the axle (SOA), you *can* use them; but they do increase the axle's moment arm to the spring mount, making it easier to wrap and hop. Since you're not doing this just for looks, I'd consider something other than blocks.

Also see my edit, above.

Adventure IQ

Explorer
Good points....sorry about the editing snafu.... The info on the blocks is good...thx... Will look into an add a leaf for the rear and your suggesting for the front.

Adventure IQ

Explorer
Also it should help in the front...I am building a bumper for a winch (since 2wd gets me stuck). Found some links on the torision bars...thx...

Last edited:

Adventure IQ

Explorer
More info....think desert pre-runner....want to run 30 or 31's and will build myself front bumper and rear bumper/sparetire swing gate

stioc

Expedition Leader
I believe you can go with 32" tires without a lift if you go skinnier. Mortonm here has 235/85/16 on his X I believe. Even with the Pathfinders you can run a 245/75/16 without a lift. As for the winch bumper I think your money is probably better spent on a rear ARB locker depending on the terrain. And before the locker I'd try some SmittyBilt Element tracks or MaxTrax, again depending on the terrain.

mzmtg

Fresher than zef!
I'm not any kind of expert, but...

A PML, a rear locker, and good tires will get you almost anywhere you'd want to go.

Sent from my Star Tac

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I believe you can go with 32" tires without a lift if you go skinnier. Mortonm here has 235/85/16 on his X I believe. Even with the Pathfinders you can run a 245/75/16 without a lift. As for the winch bumper I think your money is probably better spent on a rear ARB locker depending on the terrain. And before the locker I'd try some SmittyBilt Element tracks or MaxTrax, again depending on the terrain.

the 2002-2004 Xterras (4wd) came stock with 265 70 R 16 tires. These are 30.6 inches roughly in height
245 75R16 are about 30.5 " Same height little narrower.

I am running 235 85R16 as russellh stated. mine is a 2001 (stock size was atually 255 65R16 (29"). I believe the only change from '00/'01 to the '02/04' was a mild modification of the fender linings/plastics.

I had to do oh so little trimming when I put my 235s on and i havent had any issues, maybe a little rub when at full lock off camber.

they never sold 2WD Xterra's in Canada so i dont know if the ride height is different? I know they came with a smaller sized tire.

with no lift you should have NO issues going to 265 70R16 or 245 75R16 and fine with 235 85R16 or 265 75R16 (same height, little wider, more rubbing issues)

if you do the PML (torsion crank, shackles) you will have no issues with any of these tires.

it all depends on the look you like, personally love tall and skinny, but 265 75 is nice as well

what size do you have now? 235 75 R 15? (~29")

couple pictures

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG00498-20111222-12242.jpg

IMG00818-20120514-1543.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94