Is this a good platform?

corvairdude

It might be too wide. If it is steel then it is probably too heavy. I bought an 8ft long 80" wide utility bed for single rear wheels (non dually) but it is steel and weighs around 1100 pounds. If it is Aluminum jump all over it. I played around the idea of cutting out the floor and the trying to cut down the weight but I'm just going to sell mine. I'm hoping to get $500 for it.

Pax2525

Adventurer
It is the steel one. The owner was guessing that to be about the empty weight. If it was aluminum, the thread would be saying...look at what I just bought. ha

Thanks for the input, I am afraid of the same things you just stated.

Do you mind me asking what you paid for yours? How's the condition compared to this one?

It might be too wide. If it is steel then it is probably too heavy. I bought an 8ft long 80" wide utility bed for single rear wheels (non dually) but it is steel and weighs around 1100 pounds. If it is Aluminum jump all over it. I played around the idea of cutting out the floor and the trying to cut down the weight but I'm just going to sell mine. I'm hoping to get $500 for it.

loren85022

Explorer
Alot depends on your interest in modifying it. If you used the body on a more conventional expo-type frame I bet you'd lose some pounds and gain function. I really enjoy my short-bed utility-bed trailer. The price is atleast $500 higher than most as well. i got lucky and found a fiberglass one for sub-$500 (and promptly spent a bunch rebuilding it). Of course if you build it, and the camp cook loves it, you can always rationalize a new 8 cyl toy.

corvairdude

It is the steel one. The owner was guessing that to be about the empty weight. If it was aluminum, the thread would be saying...look at what I just bought. ha

Thanks for the input, I am afraid of the same things you just stated.

Do you mind me asking what you paid for yours? How's the condition compared to this one?

I saw it sitting in an industrial yard and offered the guy a few hundred and he took it. I went strait home and grabbed my flat bed trailer and the cash. It had a wrap on it and one of the doors was damaged. I pealed the wrap off and fixed the door but its not perfect. I think the one in the ad is pretty clean. It looks like a short bed with extra tall boxes but that could be the angle of the photo. Mine has 40" tall boxes. There should be a plaque that has the model number and manufacture date and other info in the front driver side cabinet.

I have been looking for an axle with the same 5 on 4.75" bolt pattern as my jimmy with brakes but its not a common pattern. I was quoted $320 for a 60" hub to hub axle with electric brakes and the correct bolt pattern w/o leaf springs.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Weight is an issue.
A new frame and axle would drop pounds but add to the cost fast.
Looks like it is in great condition " I live in Pa, so anything white without rust streaks looks good"

Keep us posted

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I'm looking at building one and done a LOT of research. A 96in Single wheel BED is 1100lb. The short bed is around 900. You add the frame axle and wheels (and it looks like its on a truck frame possibly with a 1 ton axle under it) Id say that trailer is pushing every bit of 1800 lb if it has a trailer axle and if that's a complete truck axle then its over 2k.

My best "guess" if you build a reasonable 2x3 box frame, cut the floor out of the bed (they are very heavy) so all you are left with is the side boxes and front wall and make the trailer frame becomes the floor with a wood deck or aluminum you might get down to 1200-1300lb with a 3500lb trailer axle and 225x75x15 trailer wheels.

Pax2525

Adventurer
Waiting for the next deal

As of now I am going to wait and see what else I can find in time to come. I like this one alot but I am concerned about the weight. I also would want the full bed for storage. This model has drawers in the front which makes the bed size only about 4 feet long. So I will just keep looking. Super nice trailer though!

loren85022

Explorer
Pax, note a full bed mounted to a truck as you trek about these days. They're often wider than the truck itself. Too wide isn't a great feature back in the sticks.

Sent from my iToaster

Pax2525

Adventurer
Mark, What makes you say its sold? Ad is still up

Thanks for the note Loren! I'll look out for that as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke