Backwoods Build

Chris Goehring

Hi all, Ive been looking for a vehicle to build into a backwoods expo vehicle and contemplating a couple different platforms and could use some advice. Ill be in deep snow, muddy trails, and slightly rocky terrain.

-My first choice would be a 1st gen cummins: I like the 12v, 5 speed, sfa, manual lockers, load capacity, and torque. Their simple to lift, work on, and are as reliable as it gets. But my main concern is weight, How do these things do in deep snow when aired down? I know you can burry them easily in mud if you loose momentum. Any of you had these things at somewhat high speeds off road? These are the feather weights of diesels and I figure it would handle the equipment I need to carry the best. I do full bumpers front and rear, 12,000 lb winch, cross over steering, and a 4in alcan spring lift. Only looking for around 300-350 hp nothing crazy just as efficient/ reliable as possible.

-fj80: reliable, sfa, load capacity/ interior room, lockers, and the tire size you can stuff under there is impressive. But these are also heavy, wide, and a pig for mpg, plus only available in an auto which i dont like. Are they pretty torquey in mud? and does loading up with bumper and gear affect this power much?

- First gen runner: bulletproof, sfa, light, interior space, fit in tight spaces. But I would feel under powered with 110 hp is my main concern and a engine swap is not in my book at the moment.

-3rd gen runner (I currently have one) 3.4 is very reliable, good power to weight ratio, space for gear, pretty good tire size, 5 speed. and I beat the **** out of mine, wrecked it acouple times and still runs pretty damn good. Downside is the ifs, which to me is a major problem, espically since my front ends looser than a french whore. its got 240xxx miles and had a ruff life being my first vehicle and all I dont really want to dump any more money into it..

Please give me some input and open to other suggestions, jeeps arnt really an option because the wranglers dont have enought cargo space for a girlfriend and a dog plus gear, and I dont see a unibody xj holding up too well the way I drive..

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Chris, from the suggestions you have listed I would recommend the Dodge. The old Cummins will never let you down and it is a powerhouse!:)

Chris Goehring

I definently agree the cummins is an amazing truck but how capable are these full size diesels off road? I know weight isn't usually a good thing.. can they treckk deep snow with chains and 35s aired way down?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
From what I have heard they can take it all, and then some. Pullitbroke on this forum is the hands down Cummins Dodge guru on this site. He does tractor pulls and cross country journeys in his 1st gen Dodge Cummins powered trucks. He would be the guy to ask, but I have seen then do some really narly things. The motor, drivetrain, and especially the axels are bullet proof. There are some quirks with certain year gearboxes but ask Pullitbroke. He knows those Dodges. The only thing I have to warn you about is the fact that some guys would rather sleep with their Cummins diesel than with their wives. It could be contagious....... Cheers, Chilli..:)

crismateski

American Adventurist
I would go with the dodge, you get used to the weight and size on the trails pretty quickly, and they can hold their own. It will never be as nimble as some of the smaller rigs, but they do just fine. You may also want to look at suspension components from Carli Suspension or Thuren Suspension. They both make quality parts for the Dodge's, and both companies will give you all the advice and support you need

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles