will a family fit?

dakdoc

Observer
Does anyone with kids have experience in an EarthRoamer or Tiger or Turtle? All the pictures I see are of older couples. Any reports from anyone who's actually sleeping 2 adults plus kids in one of these things would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

cwsqbm

Explorer
What a family fits in is very subjective. There are plenty of people traveling in smaller vehicles with more people, while others feel cramped in 40' fifth wheels.

The reason we tend to see pictures only of older couples in those vehicles is that young people starting families generally (yes, there are exceptions) can't afford a high-end camper AND have time to travel between jobs, school, etc. The majority of full-time RV people, be it class A motorhomes, fifth-wheel, etc, are older couples for that reason.

762X39

Explorer
A family will fit if they want to. As a 10 year old, we traveled in a 1968 Ford Falcon towing a pop up tent trailer (2 parents and 4 kids, I was the oldest) .I am sure larger families have traveled in smaller cars larger distances.

Last edited:

JRhetts

Adventurer
Does anyone with kids have experience in an EarthRoamer or Tiger or Turtle? All the pictures I see are of older couples. Any reports from anyone who's actually sleeping 2 adults plus kids in one of these things would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

As you can see from my signature, I have owned 2 EarthRoamers. Yes, 2 adults and 2 children can fit...IF....

all personnel are flexible
are tolerant of small-to-no personal space
tolerant of each other
etc, etc

To know if your family can "fit", you need to try it. Rent a regular camper and try it. If that is at least OK, then the slightly greater space and much nicer appearance will be an upgrade.

No one else can answer the Q for you and your family.

MLPress #65

Observer
I spent 3 weeks last summer taking a long route cross the country with my daughter and her two kids (3 and 6) in an Earthroamer XV-LT (NOT stretch). Tons of room in the crew cab for the car seats and unbelievable amounts of kid stuff, and we had plenty of sleeping room. Key was to stop frequently and allow lots of time to run around, and we camped in state parks most of the time. Also key while driving – lots of DVDs in the back seat, Starbucks in the front. Not saying we didn’t all have our meltdowns, but no worse than if we had been hanging out at home together for those 3 weeks.

dakdoc

Observer
Yes thank you all. A family of four also fits in a CJ and can cook weenies over the fire. I need a forum thread here that my wife can read. One with some comments from mothers which cover topics such as storing groceries and dirty diapers, the functionality of the kitchen, running an entire family through the small head, etc. JRhetts, could your wife comment on her experience with kids in your two Earthroamers?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Depends on the family. I have:

-- Spent six weeks in/beside a Blazer with spouse, 16 year old sister in law, and a German Shepherd.

-- Spent weeks in/beside a Blazer with spouse and two kids, one as young as three years old.

After that a Tiger or an Earthroamer or a Sportsmobile, etc., would look like a Hilton.

I know of one family, with five kids, aged 15 and down, who spent several weeks in a Siberian Tiger. Family is still intact and they are planning more and longer trips.

Again, depends on your family.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I don't have a family but I think the short answer is yes, if the kids are not too old.

My sister spent 2 summers with her 2 kids in my Westfalia, and they managed fine.

JRhetts

Adventurer
... I need a forum thread here that my wife can read. One with some comments from mothers which cover topics such as storing groceries and dirty diapers, the functionality of the kitchen, running an entire family through the small head, etc. ...

dakdoc

I may well have misread the subtext here, but I for one would not like to put myself or my wife in the position of trying to entice anyone into something like an expedition vehicle, with or without kids. I sincerely recommend that your best approach is to borrow or rent a conventional pickup/camper and try it out for a night, then if that works for two or three. Both you and the crew will quickly sort out whether this sort of basic tool and its space limitations are for you or not. The specific logistics for coping with storing groceries and dirty diapers, the kitchen and small head have been solved so many different ways by so many different people that if you and the family like the basic rig, then you can absolutely figure out how to accomplish daily living and logistics your way. But first you need to see how you and your specific family react to the space and necessary functions. If you find that the basic camper is doable, then I can virtually guarantee that you will like and do better in the amenities and functionality [esp. including windows for light] of a major upgrade like an EarthRoamer.

MLPress #65

Observer
I spent 3 great weeks last summer taking a long route cross the country with my daughter and her two kids (3 and 6) in an Earthroamer XV-LT (NOT stretch). Tons of room in the crew cab for the car seats and unbelievable amounts of kid stuff, and we had plenty of sleeping room. Key was to stop frequently and allow lots of time to run around, and we camped in state parks most of the time. Also key while driving – lots of DVDs in the back seat, Starbucks in the front. Not saying we didn’t all have our meltdowns, but no worse than if we had been hanging out at home together for those 3 weeks.

Kitchen very function in the Earthroamer – easy for 2 kids to brush teeth at once. No problem with the small head, but we didn’t have diapers. Dirty, wet clothes – we stuffed in a Trasharoo slung over the spare tire. Kept everyone’s muddy, sandy shoes in a plastic tub in the head. Strapped a shoe organizer over the closet door, which gave each of us a row of 4 handy pockets for our toys, toothbrushes, sunblock, rock collections. We taped a map to the frig and the kids marked our route as we went.

Entropy

Observer
You've gotten good advice so far. If/when you rent a comparably-sized vehicle, consider a worst-case scenario, like being stuck inside for several days because of weather. Will everyone come out of that small box alive and sane? :)

You haven't really mentioned how you intend to use the vehicle and that would have a pretty big effect on any vehicle's utility. There is, of course, a big difference between weekend and the occasional two-three week long trip and a multi-month journey in foreign countries. People can put up with a lot for days and weeks, but seemingly little things can grow into big hassles over months. As everyone else said, the ability to handle the inevitable compromises really depend on you.

jacksonbase

family fit

I had the same question. I would like to take my entire family on a 2 -3 month tour of alaska next summer. 2 adults 3 kids (1 child adult size). My question ,would an expedition camper be better (big enough) or a 40ft motorhome towing a modifed jeep etc... be a superior solution. If it was just me and the wife an expedition vehicle would be the ticket. Has anyone travelled with 3 kids out there?

Entropy

Observer
I had the same question. I would like to take my entire family on a 2 -3 month tour of alaska next summer. 2 adults 3 kids (1 child adult size). My question ,would an expedition camper be better (big enough) or a 40ft motorhome towing a modifed jeep etc... be a superior solution. If it was just me and the wife an expedition vehicle would be the ticket. Has anyone travelled with 3 kids out there?

I have three kids and that's pretty much what we've done, though we've yet to do a trip longer than 6 weeks. It's a pretty good compromise, but we have younger kids (2, 7 & 8) so YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles