Diesel engine swap

Should I sell it or swap a diesel into it ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ruralcarrier4x4

If you're looking for an engine, check out the International DT360 its .5" bigger than a 5.9 Cummins and 3 times the engine.. (jmo)

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

I looked up DT360 on wikepedia and they look like really awesome engines indeed with a "wet leeve" cylinder wall for better wear and also HP 300-350 depending on which variant (like the MaxxForce 10). My only concerns though are what transmisions could you bolt up to-are there adapters to use? I'll do more research on it to try to answer these concerns and also find out what vehicles had them. The picture of this engine is awesome !

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/DT466_lrg.jpg

ruralcarrier4x4

I'd say if you really want a 4x4 diesel van and you can't fab, this is a hard price to beat.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3523910891.html

I've contacted a few van conversion companies before I got my F-250 FWC and they were all around this price to convert a van that I provided them.

Screenshot added to preserve the ad.
Picture13.png

Excellent point 24hoursofnevada !! But I believe the Cummins is a far better engine than the Powersroke and if it wasn't than why are so many people putting a Cummins in there Ford truck in place of the powerstroke ? And I always liked having something different. I'm now leaning toward using a 12v 5.9L instead of the newer 6.7L

ruralcarrier4x4

I came up with a possible idea, I'm going to swap out the transmission first with an overdrive tranny with lockup torque converter (all of these mods I would do either way) and then also add a gear venders overdrive for a second overdrive. All of this should acually help out wih the gas engine as well. Then I came up with another idea as well and that is to get an old Chevy pickup and put a 6BT in it for practice and once done with the pickup sell it to help finance the second phase of the van- putting the 5.9L Cummins in. I figure I maybe out of my mind, but I saw a 79 Bronco with a 6BT in it and the guy who did he conversion did it for the $ and this way it would give me extra practice. I'm not sure which will be harder though, putting the 6BT in or selling it once I'm done.:)

RKraft

Observer
ruralcarrier4x4
I am saving my pennies to do a 1997 5.9 12v Cummins swap into my 00 Ford Excursion. Just my opinion if you do a Cummins swap go with a 94-98 12v since it is mechanical engine no computer. If you go with the DT run an Allison behind it, they are a good transmission. I work for the school district as a mechanic on the buses we have both the IH's & Cummins engines. Both good power plants with Allison's behind both. It will be a lot of up front cost but if you want to do it & will keep & use it go for it. I now with the 6bt 12v Cummins when I had in my Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 it was turned up & had 300hp & 400 foot lb's at rear wheels I would get 20-23 mpg crusing & 18 around town.
Randy

RKraft

Observer
ruralcarrier4x4
Do you have any pictures you can post of your rig. I always liked the 4x4 vans.
Randy

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Putting a $10,000+ diesel conversion into a $5000 van is bad math. It's nice to dream about diesel swaps, but rarely deos anyone come out ahead in the checkbook.

Sell it. Get a more modern pickup truck. 99+ Superduties are selling for $5k-10k, and even with gas 5.4L and 6.8L engines, you still break about even. 7.3L Fords are a bit more, but there have been a few good deals out there.

Joz

A few years ago I pulled the 460 & C6 from my 27' RV and replaced them with a 12 valve Cummins 6BT and a G56 6 speed manual. I went from $.56/mile and couldn't get out of my own way to $.31/mile and can easily pass cars while towing a trailer going up mountain passes.
Was the conversion cheap? No; about $10,000. Was it worth it? Absolutely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior