2nd gen. 4x4 Tacoma TRD vs. stock

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Hi there fellow yota fans.
Im thinking about purchasing a new Tacoma 4x4 quad cab with in the next year or so and have a couple questions.
A little back ground on my world... Married with 2 dogs and talk of a kid in the next year or so. I drive a 1st gen. 4runner right now. The 4runner works perfect for our needs as far as camping and scuba diving. Obviously when a kid is introduced to the situation it will be more and more challenging to keep the 4runner.

A fully loaded Tacoma TRD 4x4 can be pretty pricey and I am not sure that, for me, all the TRD equipment is a must. The locking differential isn't a need for me but I do want that option in my next rig no matter what. The TRD suspension seems to lacking from what I have read. I feel like suspension would be one of the first things to be upgraded either way, along with an ARB locker in the rear.

What are your opinions on the the value of the other TRD options offered in the TRD package?
Anyone on here go the non-TRD route and regret it?
What would be the down-side to going the non-TRD route and later upgrading the suspension and differentials?

Hope this was all clear, writing this up while at work. Ha

Thanks
Jason

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I presume you are considering the TRD Off Road and not the TRD Sport (which doesn't have a locker, but does have a rad hood scoop).

The suspension on all of the Tacoma models is lacking. And you can add a locker to any of them. You can't, however, add the A-TRAC system, which is crazy amazing at keeping traction and momentum in rough terrain. A-TRAC is a better tool for dealing with poor traction in off-camber situations where lockers would typically push you towards the edge of the trail. The TRD Off Road version also comes with a better braking system because of A-TRAC, with improved performance over stock and TRD Sport models. A-TRAC isn't a must, of course, and I don't know if it is worth the extra coin, but consider that is a tool that you would not be able to add to a non-TRD Off Road truck.

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
When I was shopping for my current rig I looked at the same line up. I ended up getting a SR5 to get the fog lights and cruise control. I had used a 2010 TRD extended cab for work previously and thought that the e-locker was neat but the extra gizmos were overpriced. The 110 inverter is wimpy, the Toyota suspension is for onroad mall drivers, and ARB offers front and rear lockers. For me the 3-4k price difference went into other accessories that I need more than the factory options.

The downside to doing it yourself is cost, the upside is you can control the quality of the parts that go into your build. ARB lockers and suspension parts are not cheap but if you upgrade as you parts wear out it might be better for your checkbook. Tires and shocks are wear items and are easy to upgrade when they wear out.

I have 18k miles on my 6month old 2012 and don't have any regrets on the equipment. I will have to break down and upgrade the shocks/springs sooner than I had hoped but that seems to happen with everyone that wheels their truck. For me the price difference paid for a Leer topper and the CES gas tank.

Good luck with your decision!

GTABurnout

Explorer
I went for a TRD but I bought used and I like the resale on TRD's. One thing you wont get with SR5's is the nicer TRD seats. Some don't care I wanted the TRD seats. I have never used my diff lock for real. And the rest of the TRD parts came off a while ago (except the sticker). If your buying new it may not be worth it but if your buying used I think you can find TRD's for the same as a slightly lower miliage SR5.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
TRD offroad (auto trans) also has DAC (downhill assist control). Never used it but that could be a very handy item on an auto transmission rig. If it works well. Plus, the TRD offroad package comes with pretty much everything else you might like included the 'tow package'. Plus, you can wrap it all up in the same payment with full warranty support. Not important to everyone but important to some...depending on situation. As stated above, A-Trac is pretty great...had it in my FJ cruiser. Of course, in the FJ, you could just buy the Atrac switch and plug it into the existing wiring in the base FJ's and still have full A-Trac...don't know if that works on the Tacomas or not. Or even if that still works on the newer FJ's! Also, in regular cab tacomas, you can do the 'yellow wire mod' and have TRAC in 4wd LO which is, from all the accounts I can read, almost as good as A-Trac. Not sure if that works with V6 tacomas or not either.

Have fun shopping!

upcountry

Explorer
I have had an 07' Double Cab TRD 6 speed manual since it was new. I have two kids and have had carseats in the truck since 2008. The size is just right for carseats, and the cargo space is awesome for hauling kid-crap and for family camping.

My opinion, if you want a manual transmission (that will not have many of the options mentioned above) then the TRD is not worth it.

I would save the money and upgrade the truck how you want it.

Also, the seats in the TRD are nicer, but I would opt out of the niceseats and get some really nice wet okole seat covers with heated seat inserts. This is far nicer than the TRD seats IMO.

Also, instead of an e-locker, have you looked into a mechanical locker like a detroit locker or positrac locker or something similar? This would be a far better option and work instantly instead of having to engange and disengage the locker. My dad has used these on offroad and drag racing trucks for as long as i can remember.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Plannerman- Yes, the TRD offraod, not Sport.
Thanks for the input so far guys! I love hearing the real world opinions on this.

p nut

butter
As Plannerman said, ATRAC would be well-worth it. On all of my previous factory e-locked trucked, I've really only used them on a few occasions (which worked awesome). But in 99% of cases, ATRAC got me through just fine. This makes the TRD package well-worth it.

upcountry

Explorer
BTW....Does this mean you are getting rid of the 4-runner flip pack project truck?

I hope not!!!!!!!

But, then again my wife has a "no fleet" policy After seeing my parents property with my dad's many trucks in all different phases, she had to lay down the law as she felt there was real potential for junkyard status! So I would understan pressure to keep it simple with just one or two trucks!!!!!

JasonRedwood

Explorer
@upcountry
The thought has crossed my mind... I plan on getting back into the flippac in a month or so. I would like some long stretches of warmer weather for the fiberglass to cure. I need to finish it and use it atleast once! :)
Headers and exhaust went on today. Felt good to clear out the "parts closet" a bit. ha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94