Final Sanity Check on Price for 2002 Landcruiser w/114k Miles

benchasephoto

Photographer
Edmunds says $12,000
KBB says $16,400 - $17000
Nada says trade value is about $14,000

Vehicle is bone-stock, needs new tires and is up-to-date on timing belt & other maintenance. Not sure what the "right" amount is, but the vehicle has a great service history and is located in Tucson, Arizona. The deal would be contingent on a 3rd party inspection. I'm totally willing to walk away if need be, so please share your thoughts on a decent selling price if you were going to buy it. I started with $14,000 and he wasn't willing to move forward with that number.

Opinions are appreciated :)

Ben

benchasephoto

Photographer
Are there known issues with the transmission in the 02?

I haven't found an 03 for sale unfortunately that has any kind of documented service history anywhere near $17k. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Seems a little bit high but not totally crazy.

I think between $15K to $16 would make sense as the mileage seems relatively low for a Land Cruiser of this era. I
Looking at the market, if I were him I would also probably refuse $14K (assuming it's clean). Used cars are really expensive nowadays.

I could not find a 2002 on Ebay or Craigslist (through AdHuntr).

Not sure if this link will work for you, AutoTrader list them starting at $11K with higher mileage.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...erTypes=b&searchRadius=0&pricesOnly=true&mmt=[TOYOTA[LC[]][]]&sortBy=derivedpriceASC

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Are there known issues with the transmission in the 02?

I haven't found an 03 for sale unfortunately that has any kind of documented service history anywhere near $17k. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

There's an '04 LX470 in Bountiful UT listed by Antion Auto as one-owner, 105k miles, 100k mile service performed, etc. for $21,500...for starters. Obviously I don't know your budget beyond your mentioned $17k but all things being equal I'd happily pay $3-$5k difference for an '03 or '04. They're around if you don't mind traveling to outside Boise to find one...

benchasephoto

Photographer
There's an '04 LX470 in Bountiful UT listed by Antion Auto as one-owner, 105k miles, 100k mile service performed, etc. for $21,500...for starters. Obviously I don't know your budget beyond your mentioned $17k but all things being equal I'd happily pay $3-$5k difference for an '03 or '04. They're around if you don't mind traveling to outside Boise to find one...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

spressomon - I'm wanting to stay 17k or less because I plan on paying this off in no more than a year and want to add suspension and a few other small mods, nothing extreme, but none of them are cheap :) Aside from the interior trim/etc and the 5-speed transmission, what do you prefer about the 03+ models to be willing to pay extra? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The A750F 5-speed is THE reason, IMHO, for getting to an '03 (I don't, without kids, have a particular value for the side air bags relative to other's with traveling families). Having said that I've put over 140k tough, hard miles on my '99 (210k miles on it now) and its gotten me everywhere I've wanted to go. Sometimes in 1st or 2nd gear and 4,000rpms but still got me to/fro :D.

OTOH I'd prefer the lower and wider gear range of the A750F. The A343F 4-speed auto 100's ('98-'02 for North America) came with 4.30 ring/pinion ratio. Whereas '03+ came with 4.10 ring/pinion ratio.

So, related to my ~7,500lb rig that has towed a couple different ~2,500lb off-road type trailers, the extra deep ratios coupled with 4.88 gear set makes for a very nice leverage advantage with an upped ballast rig :) Also I live at 5,000' and about 90% of my use for this rig is only up in elevation from here so any advantage I can get makes a positive difference.

The differences between the two trannies, although still noticeable, is less valuable/noticeable per se with stock or near stock weight/tire sized rigs. Your application and expectations will certainly weigh in your decision making process.

I assume you saw/checked out the '02 LC listed on the Boise CL for $13,900 and 131.5k miles?

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I believe the 5-speed transmission is the main selling point for 03+. Next step up is 06+ for bump in HP.

There is nothing wrong with the 4-speed transmission. Some see it as a handicap, but there are pros and cons with every MY. (ie, pro of 5-speed transmission is partially offset by Nav integrated HVAC system). Those "pros and cons" are really non-issue as far as actual performance and reliability of the rig, as LC's have proven to be very stout vehicles. Most of the "cons" are over-exaggerated internet rumors blown out of proportion anyway. So I'd say just get the one in the best condition for your budget and go from there.

Last edited:

benchasephoto

Photographer
spressomon - Yep, I haven't heard back from the seller yet...he didn't list a number so I had to blast an email and hope for a response. Appreciate your insight based on your own usage there.

p nut - The HVAC thing does concern me a bit just from an engineering standpoint, but it probably won't weigh heavily on my decision, but man...it would suck to have that thing fail and take out your heat/AC.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
If you're willing to walk away, maybe just keep looking for a few more weeks. If the seller's price is too high, he'll eventually come down. If he sells it, it won't be like you missed out on a once in a lifetime deal, either.

Klierslc

Explorer
That seems to about what they are going for in San Diego with that mileage as well. Bump up 50,000 miles or a a couple years older and you can get one for 14k....

Flagster

Expedition Leader
If you're willing to walk away, maybe just keep looking for a few more weeks. If the seller's price is too high, he'll eventually come down. If he sells it, it won't be like you missed out on a once in a lifetime deal, either.

good advice...I sometimes get too excited over a truck/land cruiser I think I immediately need to go see/offer before it is "snatched up"...then I remind myself it's not like it's a v12 Ferrari or something...another one always comes along and usually waiting has produced better purchases in my case

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles