Vehicle Shopping

Jgrider16

In the hunt for a new vehicle. Sold our beautiful 2008 touareg to get a more sensible DD. Was the perfect vehicle (dual diffs and air suspension) other than some finicky German engineering, too expensive, and not much aftermarket. Looking for something a little more reliable and rugged for family camping, towing small popup, mild offroad, and slowly convert into a light overland type setup. Wife, 2 young kids with carseats, and lots of associated gear (bikes, chariot, etc. etc.).

I've always wanted a Tacoma since my 1990 pickup got wrecked, but I think the Gen 1 crew cabs are a little small and the gen 2 are a little pricey for our 3rd vehicle. Would consider a 4runner or maybe Xterra, but I think we'd run out of room pretty quickly.

So ... I think I've settled on a LC 100. Reliable, capable, and somewhat affordable (for 2000 ish with higher miles). I'm pretty familiar with the vehicle specs, but have never actually been in one. I know the mileage sucks but wont be a DD. Anybody have thoughts / pros / cons or other 2cents. I'll probably upgrade suspension and a few other mild mods, but nothing too crazy.

I'm looking at a very well maintained 2000 from a 2nd owner MUD member (150K, ARB bumper, new tires) with some superficial cosmetic issues or maybe finding something similar age, less miles, less wear, but probably less known history. Seems like most are 2nd or 3rd owner from a random dealer. Of course I'd love to find one with low miles, perfect condition, and spotless history, but might be searching for a while. I'm not too concerned about the cosmetics cuz I'll be using the vehicle, but clearly will affect resale, etc. Obviously no crystal ball, but I go back and forth on what will be a better vehicle ... thoughts?

Jgrider16

So to simplify my earlier post ... would most prefer a 100 to these other vehicles ... and in a 100, would I be getting more bang for my buck with good history but more miles and some cosmetic issues something a little cleaner with less known history. Thx.

Jgrider16

Also, can anybody with direct experience offer comparison between the 4th gen 4runner and early 2000's LC. I know the specs and have been on the forums so I know the basics ... just looking for some fresh perspective.

stonepa

Observer
I'd go with a 100 LC with a good history. Drive it and see how you like it. I have a lot of cars - 87 FJ60, 94 4 Runner, 2000 Land Rover Discovery (fully expo equipped), Lexus RX400H, a couple of Volvos, etc. My old LC 100 is my favorite of them all. I look forward to driving that car.

My experience tells me mileage is irrelevant as long as it's been taken care of. A few scratches here and there are par for the course and won't have much of any affect on the resale value if your really ever sell it. I wouldn't buy one that is perfect in every way - you never use it as intended and you'll feel bad when you scratch it. Let someone else have all the anxiety and look for something with lots of low-cost miles left in it but maybe not 100% perfect cosmetically.

Jgrider16

Thanks. That's been my thought as well. I've definitely gone back and forth between a 100 and a slightly newer 4runner or a gen 3 and slightly cheaper 4runner. I should probably find one of each and drive them back to back. Thanks!

- J

Klierslc

Explorer
The 100 series is more comfortable, but gets worse MPG. I would definitely go with a 2000+ model to get the A-TRAC as well.

CSG

Explorer
A thought, I think there are far more Lexus versions out there for the same or less than the Toyo version. When I was shopping, I found mine, after an exhaustive search for a Toyo, at a Lexus dealer with low miles, all service records, and a very decent price (because gas was crazy high then). And the Lexus is a nicer rig all around.

benchasephoto

Photographer
In terms of costs, I'm not sure what you're budget is, but I've seen 2001-2002's recently for 13-16k with around 100-120k, or if you want to get the 5-speed 2003+, you will be closer to 20k depending on mileage. I've seen dealer 2004's with around 120k for 25,000, but that's obviously just a starting point (and too expensive). I only talked to one dealer that I got a good vibe from. Most wanted to dance around the issue of service history and never really were interested in answering my questions.

I initially was planning on an 02, but ended up with an 04 that I'll be picking up next Thursday private party for a decent price.

stonepa

Observer
Don't rule out the 98's and 99's. My 98 has been rock solid for the last 15 years. Not sure what a person would be getting in the newer ones other than lower miles (but no more reliability in my experience).

Klierslc

Explorer
A thought, I think there are far more Lexus versions out there for the same or less than the Toyo version. When I was shopping, I found mine, after an exhaustive search for a Toyo, at a Lexus dealer with low miles, all service records, and a very decent price (because gas was crazy high then). And the Lexus is a nicer rig all around.

Worth considering, however, as the vehicle ages, you will face a choice with the LX470--spend a metric crap-ton of money on replacing the air suspension or ordering springs and converting it to regular land cruiser suspension.

Don't rule out the 98's and 99's. My 98 has been rock solid for the last 15 years. Not sure what a person would be getting in the newer ones other than lower miles (but no more reliability in my experience).

98 models had no rear A/C, neither had traction control or vehicle stability control, and both had issues with the weaker front diff. Still very nice rigs, but for those reasons, I would reccomend spending a couple thousand more for a 2000+

CSG

Explorer
Don't most newer LC's also have the air suspension? I thought lexus introduced it by only a couple years. And yes, if I still have mine when the time comes, it'll be a lot cheaper to convert it back to regular suspension.

Klierslc

Explorer
Don't most newer LC's also have the air suspension? I thought lexus introduced it by only a couple years. And yes, if I still have mine when the time comes, it'll be a lot cheaper to convert it back to regular suspension.

Not sure about the 200 series, but the 100 series only had the air suspension as an option starting in 06, where the LX had it standard starting in 98.

brentbba

Explorer
Sounds like you are familiar already with IH8MUD. You'll get a larger response in the 100 section their that is LC specific. I can only comment on the reliability of Toyota's as an 18 year, one owner of a '94 80 series Landcruiser that I plan on being buried in (at least according to my wife!). One thing I do wish I had was the power of the 100 in my 80. The V8 that came with the introduction of the 100 in '98 was nice. No knock on my inline 6 - it's gotten me everywhere I've wanted to go - sometimes not to quickly, but I've gotten there, even towing a 4000 lb trailer for my scout troop for several years. As others have said, MPG won't be great, but since it's not a DD sounds like that isn't an issue for you. Parts will not be cheap! If you know that going in then, OK. When guys complain about parts for the 80's, the preeminent parts guru Cruiserdan at American Toyota always sets them straight by reminding them that this was a $46K truck back in the mid 90's. Not cheap even then. 100's, no doubt, are exactly the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne