Recently Deleted Threads

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
After a good discussion with the moderators (most of them have a lot more experience than I) and Scott, I am sorry to say that The Jungle is not going to happen.

There are several good reasons for that.

One that resonates the most to me was that it has been tried on other forums and the results have not been good - some of our moderators have first hand experience with it, as they were part of a similar effort on totally different forums.

So if you want to discuss politics and religion, I am afraid you will need to find another forum.

This one is going to stay focused on Overlanding and Vehicle-Dependant expeditions.

Sorry to hear that. Looks like I'll be spending less time here on ExPo, and more on 'Other Forums'

The sad part with that, is on 99% of those forums, you're 'Preaching to the Choir' (Ooops, religious reference, might get banned)

Where with the diversity on this forum, real, healthy, civil debate and discussions could flourish.

Been fun everyone, gained a lot of insight, and learned a few tricks that make my travels easier.

Ciao.

HB

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
If no Jungle...

Sometimes it seems as if you can't Expo in the USA unless you're armed which is not good news to non-residents who long to travel there! :peepwall:

A bit of explanation as to why your trip needed a gun would help me at least :)

Oh the drama.....That's like saying everyone in the western US is like John Wayne or Clint Easwood because that's what you saw in a movie.

There seems to be general confusion about the right to do something and the need to do something. You're explaination may reside in you're understanding of the difference.

rk_az

Adventurer
As a long-time Admin on a hunting forum, and the proud owner of multiple firearms including one of those pernicious "black rifles" and an FN 5.7 "cop killer" (as used by the Ft. Hood shooter), I say to the owners and staff of this site:

Bravo! Congratulations for taking your jobs seriously and sticking to your guns (no pun intended). I know first hand how difficult it is to maintain the balance between freedom of speech and a site that appeals to the widest cross-section of your intended audience.

To those who would choose to leave this site over a deleted thread or two, I say:

Congratulations for excercising your freedom (of choice)! Now, don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Great you want to run people off because you disagree with them. So much for that freedom of speech you describe.
As a long-time Admin on a hunting forum, and the proud owner of multiple firearms including one of those pernicious "black rifles" and an FN 5.7 "cop killer" (as used by the Ft. Hood shooter), I say to the owners and staff of this site:

Bravo! Congratulations for taking your jobs seriously and sticking to your guns (no pun intended). I know first hand how difficult it is to maintain the balance between freedom of speech and a site that appeals to the widest cross-section of your intended audience.

To those who would choose to leave this site over a deleted thread or two, I say:

Congratulations for excercising your freedom (of choice)! Now, don't let the door hit you on the way out...

rk_az

Adventurer
They are apparently choosing to leave of their own accord. I am just not standing in the way.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
They are apparently choosing to leave of their own accord. I am just not standing in the way.

Wait, who are you again? Oh, that's right you just jumped in here to randomly stir the pot long after the discussion had ended. I think I saw one person upset with the decision so who is they?

It's the internets, no biggie.

I think this is a great idea. I would even pay for such an area to discuss the real world without a filter other than manners. Yes, there are other sites to discuss ____ subjects, but most of us prefer the company here.

So true. We've built quite a community of like minded folks here, is it possible we could make a sub-forum where we could speak about what's REALLY going on in our world without fear of being banned or deleted? Maybe an un-moderated area? Would this not lead to more understanding?

We could call it "The Jungle" or "Brady's Garage" or "Christian's Cantina" or something :)

Just in case the Mods ever decide to change their minds.

I would pay for that too. I think that most of us here expect to run into all sorts of people on here, with all sorts of views, on any number of topics. In all honesty I haven't been on here as much because the political climate is something that I find interesting and necessary to talk about. I would like a section to be able to discuss this stuff with the other forum members here simply because we share similar interest. I believe that that similar interest would keep the civility of the threads better than anywhere else I have went. If you guys decide to do this please don't make it as expensive as Overland Journal or else I'll have to pick just one for now ;)

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Wait, who are you again? Oh, that's right you just jumped in here to randomly stir the pot long after the discussion had ended. I think I saw one person upset with the decision so who is they?

It's the internets, no biggie.

Silly Doc! The long time "admins" of unnamed "hunting" forums are experts on freedom of speech because they own "black rifles" and "cop killer" firearms that the Fort Hood murderer preferred. At least that is the list of bona fides offered to you as he stands out of the way.... LOL

Klierslc

Explorer
Hmmm...

Missed this up until now--got busy winning the war. It seems that it may be a little late for another opinion, but here it is anyway. I don't frequent too many forums except ExPo and Mud--the mud politics and religion section is a pretty good success story. Nobody goes in there unless they bring their "A" game and much intelligent discussion is had by all (well, most). Any time a thread in another section gets political, it gets moved to P&R and left to die a slow death. You are required to sign up for access to the sub section--keeps the transient trolls at bay and is pretty useful overall. Personal attacks and inappropriate content get reported to the mods so the mods don't have to read through all the drivel.

That being said, there are a lot of political things that I don't particularly want to read about or discuss at length...again. I guess if those subjects come up, I'll just have to use a bit of self control and not click on the thread.

I'll end with this (got a little longer than I expected--sorry). I am a little disappointed that blatantly political issues such as land use, water rights, and public land access are encouraged as pertinent to the "ExPo" discussion, but gun law discussions are not allowed because they are too political. I suspect that a thread about freedom of the press would not get locked, nor would a thread about freedom of assembly (overland expo anybody?). I am interested in discussions about land use and public access in other countries as I may travel there. I know that the U.S. isn't very exotic to most, but I would assume that overlanders coming to the U.S. would be at least a little interested in the state of our public lands and how to avoid common pitfalls(campfire rules, seasonal access, etc.) It seems to follow then that we (mostly you guys) as overlanders should be curious about gun laws in other countries, and the folks from other countries may be curious about our gun laws. There is enough diversity in gun laws from state to state that it would be a good idea to learn the basics of each state before a trip, especially if English is not one's first language. I am also very interested in gun laws and their success (or lack thereof) in other countries. It gives us some perspective about the potential way ahead just as land use precedents in other countries can give us an idea of what works and what doesn't. I also don't want to end up on the wrong end of a 3rd world legal system.

So then, concerns about protecting oneself from critters, both four-legged and two-legged, have a very prominent place in an overlanding discussion. When one's ability to do so is threatened, it seems that ExPo would make a decent place to discuss the ramifications and alternatives. Many (most) countries have stricter gun laws that the U.S. How do they skin the cat of personal protection? I don't know, but I would be interested to hear about it. Coming to a thread about American gun laws as a Panamanian, Afghan, or Uzbek, and telling us we are all paranoid is not helpful and does not add to the discussion. As with any other subject, on the forum, post what is pertinent to the topic at hand or move along to something else. I won't be stopping by any discussions on Aussie gun laws and ridiculing their constitution and lack of personal protection. I will lurk for a bit and file things away for future use though.

As with EVERY other discussion about any topic on the forum, if I don't have anything to add or don't care about the subject, I don't post(or don't read the thread). It has been demonstrated that the vast majority of folks on ExPo can have a civilized discussion about guns. Those who have nothing to add except complaints about crazy Americans should probably refrain from posting unless they have something pertinent to add. If you don't feel that guns are needed on a trip, feel free to let us know what your plan is for personal protection. If you think that the United states is full of people shooting each other non-stop; first, you are wrong, second, feel free to not show up. I suppose I have rambled on long enough--hopefully communicated my point adequately.

Cheers,

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz