D2- Sell it before it's worthless?

Should I trade in my '01 D2 as a down payment on an LR3/LR4

• Trade in the D2 for the LR3/LR4

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Keep the D2 and fully kit it out

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Something Else (please specify in Comments)

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

Topher1044

Observer
Only ...a year into a new career with great pay and benefits, plus the Wife finished school and is now working.

I'll get a bonus come June/July, and that's probably when I'll make the move.

Thoughts?

Sell it, bank the bonus, if you and your wife are stable after 3 years, consider something then.

While I understand your concerns about my finances, with the bonuses I received last year, and a lot of frugal actions taken, with the raise I just received the only real debt we have left is my wife's car note and student loans, plus savings.

After doing a little more research, and the opinions expressed here, it probably makes the most sense to keep it since I bought it out right to begin with, and go with the upgrades. Even if I went with every crazy upgrade that comes across these boards, including a diesel swap, it would still be cheaper than the LR3's are with mild upgrades. If it continues to work for me for even just 5 more years, I'd probably be happy. By then, who knows what the cost will be on something else, nor how well we'll be doing.

cosmic88

Observationalist
You could do a top-end engine overhaul, cooling system, replace every bushing, u-joints, hubs/bearings, brakes, EFI tune up with O2's,...etc and spend about a quarter of the total cash outlay for a 2006 LR3.

Fix up the engine, driveline, suspension and brakes and you'll have a very reliable and capable vehicle that you will know intimately. Most people buy them with issues or unreplaced, original parts but you know yours by now.

Before you put any more gear on it, fix it up.

AND, if you own a Disco because of resale value you are kidding yourself. I mean that in a nice way.

Topher1044

Observer
You could do a top-end engine overhaul, cooling system, replace every bushing, u-joints, hubs/bearings, brakes, EFI tune up with O2's,...etc and spend about a quarter of the total cash outlay for a 2006 LR3.

Fix up the engine, driveline, suspension and brakes and you'll have a very reliable and capable vehicle that you will know intimately. Most people buy them with issues or unreplaced, original parts but you know yours by now.

Before you put any more gear on it, fix it up.

AND, if you own a Disco because of resale value you are kidding yourself. I mean that in a nice way.

All great advice. I've done some on your list (brakes, O2's, etc.) but I've got some work to do on the other. I need to re-download the RAVE since the computer crashed, and actually get my hands dirty once it makes it back.

And trust me, I didn't buy this as a collector's piece. I don't think I quite knew everything I was getting into, but I've enjoyed learning the whole time, and excited to have it back.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Yep, you guys are all right. The D2 is completely worthless and less than capable off road. All the D2 owners should sell and be ashamed to have ever called themselves rover owners.

I'll be out shopping for a Jeep Compass. Probably more reliable and capable than a crappy D2.

I didn't read where anyone has advocated for any of that. But, might not be a bad idea.:ylsmoke:

Enjoy your Compass.

stonepa

Observer
I think it really depends on which vehicle you like the best, and then put the money there. For the price of a decent LR3 you could completely rebuild the engine on the D2, new driveshafts, upgrade the suspension, tires, add ARB lockers and HD axles front and rear, install bumpers and a winch, and still have quite a bit of money left over. Not only that, but a fully locked D2 will out perform an LR3 in the toughest conditions.
David

Definitely right about that comment about the D2 vs the LR3. Once the engine issues are sorted that D2 should last a long time and will be much more fun (so cheap that you won't worry about an occasional scratch or dent). I built mine right when I bought it new in 2000. Had some issues, mostly windshield leaks, tranny programming and oil seal issues (who hasn't :) ) but other than that it hasn't let me down. ARB locked on both ends, OME lifted, ARB and a winch on the front, and paid for for 10 years. Can't beat it in the fun category.

Topher1044

Observer
Definitely right about that comment about the D2 vs the LR3. Once the engine issues are sorted that D2 should last a long time and will be much more fun (so cheap that you won't worry about an occasional scratch or dent). I built mine right when I bought it new in 2000. Had some issues, mostly windshield leaks, tranny programming and oil seal issues (who hasn't :) ) but other than that it hasn't let me down. ARB locked on both ends, OME lifted, ARB and a winch on the front, and paid for for 10 years. Can't beat it in the fun category.

That makes it a little more reassuring. I know quite a few people on here have had there's going for a long time with no sign of stopping any time soon. Unfortunately the horror stories are out there as well. I'll definitely have my work cut out for me, but from the help of the people on here and other forums I think I'll be ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles