D2- Sell it before it's worthless?

Should I trade in my '01 D2 as a down payment on an LR3/LR4

• Trade in the D2 for the LR3/LR4

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Keep the D2 and fully kit it out

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Something Else (please specify in Comments)

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

Topher1044

Observer
I have an '01 D2 SD. I picked it up for Cheap when gas prices soared back in '08/'09.

Then my 100% commission job tanked and with a child on the way, we couldn't afford 2 cars, so I 'sold' it to my brother for a ridiculous monthly payment plan. Fast Forward to today- a Year into a new career with great pay and benefits, plus the Wife finished school and is now working. To top it off, my brother has decided that the MPG is just too low for him (I told him it wasn't a Prius), so I'm getting the Rover back and he did a good job on maintenance.

My question is, now that I'm much more financially secure, and can afford it, do I sell it and use the money for* a down payment and pick up an LR3/LR4? I don't think LR4 have fallen quite as far as I would feel comfortable, but I'm not throwing out the option. I'll get a bonus come June/July, and that's probably when I'll make the move.

Thoughts? I've luckily only had an issue once with the '01, and that was me not securing a Spark Plug Wire after doing the 60K service (short drive to figure that out). I just know I'm due for something massive, and would rather drop her while she still has some value. The freedom of no car note is nice, but the LR3/LR4 also sounds really good.

*EDIT- From BirchHill's suggestion, I should probably sell privately outright to get more money for the down payment if I go that route. Thank you Sir.

Last edited:

BirchHill

goat farmer
If you trade it in then its worthless, sell out right or keep is the best from a financial prospective. You dont want to ever be making payments on a land rover product.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Here's how it is:

The DII is the last solid axle truck Land Rover brought to the states, solid axle is more fun!
Sell it privately and buy an LR3/4

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Here's how it is:

The DII is the last solid axle truck Land Rover brought to the states, solid axle is more fun!
Sell it privately and buy an LR3/4

I think it really depends on which vehicle you like the best, and then put the money there. For the price of a decent LR3 you could completely rebuild the engine on the D2, new driveshafts, upgrade the suspension, tires, add ARB lockers and HD axles front and rear, install bumpers and a winch, and still have quite a bit of money left over. Not only that, but a fully locked D2 will out perform an LR3 in the toughest conditions. The LR3 is a compromise of on and off road performance and will be smoother and better performing on the road.

If you are going to go with the LR3 then by all means sell the D2 outright. You'll get much less in trade.

David

rcharrette

Adventurer
Sell the D2 and get an LR3 with an extended warranty! We started having trouble with our D2 (6 years of ownership) and visited the dealer to look at LR3. What a night and day difference in power, comfort and yes even off road capability. I say extended warranty because 8 months into our LR3 (57K miles) we had the height sensors and air compressor go out along with a few other minor items. The repair bill was almost $2K and we paid a $100 deductible. Can't beat that! If we had a Jeep or Ford I'd probably forget about an extended warranty but on these things everything cost's a lot to fix. My private joke is it cost's $1K just to drive it thought the shop doors :)

SHARP

Keep the D2 and make your trail rig, that way of its go'sdown you still have the other. The cheapest vehicle you can own is the one sitting in your driveway (well maybe not a Disco). We are doing the same thing. Just bought a LR3, wife will drive it for a while (3-5) years and then I'll get that one too. Thats how you start a great collection of Land Rovers. Now all you need is a barn to start storing things...

Topher1044

Observer
Keep the D2 and make your trail rig, that way of its go'sdown you still have the other. The cheapest vehicle you can own is the one sitting in your driveway (well maybe not a Disco). We are doing the same thing. Just bought a LR3, wife will drive it for a while (3-5) years and then I'll get that one too. Thats how you start a great collection of Land Rovers. Now all you need is a barn to start storing things...

I'm not sure I can quite justify spending what I would want on fully building out the D2 AND getting another car, unless it was something cheap. Keeping the D2 as the toy, and getting an LR3, would probably not work out.

My plan was to continue to use either as a DD, as well as build up over time. If I kept the D2, it would obviously be more of a fast track to the upgrades.

Topher1044

Observer
Sell the D2 and get an LR3 with an extended warranty! We started having trouble with our D2 (6 years of ownership) and visited the dealer to look at LR3. What a night and day difference in power, comfort and yes even off road capability. I say extended warranty because 8 months into our LR3 (57K miles) we had the height sensors and air compressor go out along with a few other minor items. The repair bill was almost $2K and we paid a $100 deductible. Can't beat that! If we had a Jeep or Ford I'd probably forget about an extended warranty but on these things everything cost's a lot to fix. My private joke is it cost's $1K just to drive it thought the shop doors :)

If I can find one that I can still apply an extended warranty to, I will. I think unless someone already got an extended warranty, it will be tough to find one now.

DividingCreek

Explorer
I have a bonatti grey 02 with 102k that I was recently given-yes given. It needed a front bumper because the original was cracked but that was it. In my world these trucks already are virtually valueless although I think they are great vehicles. I think you will find most dealers will give you next to nothing for one. That said Kelly Blue book says my truck is worth 8.5k. Not sure who would pay that for a d2 anymore.

dallas

In the long term as gas keeps going up, the D2 will become a weekend offroad vehicle for most and I believe will have collectable value. Especially if its not a rusted basket case. with the lack of readily available Defenders in N.A. The Discovery becomes a natural choice.

rcharrette

Adventurer
We picked up ours in SLC, UT about 8 months ago. 2008 with about 50K on it. The warranty we bought was from an aftermarket company recommended by the dealership. Again, I normally am not one to buy these but on this truck it's worth every cent IMO. As I said, we did end up using it and the process worked great from start to finish, no problems which I was pleasantly surprised with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94