AC Oil Filter Relocation Kit......

AFSOC

Explorer
Thinking about getting one of the oil filter relocation kits from AC https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/oil-filter-relocation-kit-p-440.html does anybody have one??? If so where did you mount it? Pics if possible!! Do you like it? Can the filter be mounted higher than the stock filter location if need be? Thanks!

Cheers!

Oil filter relocation kits are generally used to solve clearance or interference problems encountered while using the stock filter in the stock location. Relocate kits are popular in engine swaps, industrial applications or if chassis modifications such as major suspension modifications or skid plating make the stock filter location impossible or difficult to use.

Placement usually works itself out. Relocation kits are generally used out of necessity and there's usually only a few viable alternate locations that will work in an automotive application. Be mindful to select a location that affords protection for the thin skin of the spin on filter. Your engine has a pressurized lubrication system so the level of the filter isn't relevant for engine protection or operation. It may crop up as an anomaly at filter change time when you refill the crankcase unless you pre-service your empty filter.

As stated filter relocation kits are really only used out of necessity. By using one, you introduce a new o-ringed surface to surface coupling, two hoses and an aftermarket spin-on base (usually check valved) to your lubrication system. If you don't NEED to introduce these new failure modes to your lubrication system, please don't do it.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Here is a link to an Amsoil dual bypass filter being put on a 2000 Nissan Frontier. From what I've been told the first gen Xterra and Frontiers with the V6 3.3 VG33 had a clearance problem with the alternator bracket and the oil filter relocate fitting, but a little trimming and it would fit. Also the fittings like to weep oil if not clamped well. I've wanted to try one on my rig.
http://ww2.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/rowehl/index.aspx

BeardedHombre

Observer
Oil filter relocation kits are generally used to solve clearance or interference problems encountered while using the stock filter in the stock location. Relocate kits are popular in engine swaps, industrial applications or if chassis modifications such as major suspension modifications or skid plating make the stock filter location impossible or difficult to use.

Placement usually works itself out. Relocation kits are generally used out of necessity and there's usually only a few viable alternate locations that will work in an automotive application. Be mindful to select a location that affords protection for the thin skin of the spin on filter. Your engine has a pressurized lubrication system so the level of the filter isn't relevant for engine protection or operation. It may crop up as an anomaly at filter change time when you refill the crankcase unless you pre-service your empty filter.

As stated filter relocation kits are really only used out of necessity. By using one, you introduce a new o-ringed surface to surface coupling, two hoses and an aftermarket spin-on base (usually check valved) to your lubrication system. If you don't NEED to introduce these new failure modes to your lubrication system, please don't do it.

The only reason i was thinking about it is because you have to remove the skid plate on oil changes, is it a necessity...no but it would be way more convenient haha

Co-opski thanks for the link! that was something else i had wondered too was about oil leaking...hmmmmm what to do what to do haha

AFSOC

Explorer
The only reason i was thinking about it is because you have to remove the skid plate on oil changes, is it a necessity...no but it would be way more convenient haha

Sounds like a valid reason to me. Skid removal isn't rocket science but it sure isn't quick and easy. Sounds like a good candidate for a relocated oil filter.

BeardedHombre

Observer
Sounds like a valid reason to me. Skid removal isn't rocket science but it sure isn't quick and easy. Sounds like a good candidate for a relocated oil filter.

I have also thought about fabing a swing door in the skid, but that too makes a weak point......where would a good location be? engine bay, chassis...would the engine bay heat up the filter enough to have to add an oil cooler? I know during Vietnam my friends dad told me that they used to fill their helmets with water and submerge the filter when stopped due to the filter temp rise in the engine bay.

BeardedHombre

Observer
though an oil cooler will most likely be installed anyway as i will be towing my teardrop trailer project i will start building soon!!!!

BeardedHombre

Observer
Wow that is awesome!!! Going to have to order one tomorrow!!! Thank you! One other question I am wondering with either the AC or amsoil is oil capacity, how much more oil do you think it would need?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles