Trailer Brakes

Pikeman

Adventurer
I have a Dexter axle on my trailer with 10x2.5 brakes on it with parking brake. When I ordered the axle I requested it with a parking brake feature. It added about $90-100 to the overall cost but is nice for storage or parked at the campsite to be able to use a parking brake. You should be able to order the brake hubs with the parking brake as well.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hmmm,...
@Martyn
Electrical breakes are not legal in Germany I guess.
Wikipedia shows me they aren't aible to fix it.
How does it work when the towed wheel doesn't turn?
Do you have a smart link for me?
Even how does it work all in all?

Greatings beeing lightly confused about that.

Kurt

Kurt

There are some good videos of electric brakes here.

Basically it's an electromagnet that activates the brake shoes. The stronger the amperage to the electromagnet the more braking force.

Electric brakes used to be available in Europe before the EU standard came out for trailers. Although I think the TUV has never certified them for use in Germany.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Ok i know this is going sound like i am clueless but i really am in the department of breaking systems

ok any how... i am planning to get junk yard axle and then change over to a electric breaking system form what i am understanding i will loose the ability to use the E-break cable as a parking break once i change out the drums do i just go back to using chocks as my parking breaks? or is there a better solution?

thanks everyone for putting up with my stupid question

Dexter makes electric brakes with the option for a parking brake. The difficulty isn't the hub and drum it's the cables and brake handle that present the problem. Last time I looked a trailer brake handle and the cables were well over $250.00 for a set. You may be able to source a old military trailer set up or modify something from a vehicle for less.

Best not to rely on the breakaway as a temporary emergency brake.

Arlo

Adventurer
Kurt

There are some good videos of electric brakes here.

Basically it's an electromagnet that activates the brake shoes. The stronger the amperage to the electromagnet the more braking force.

Electric brakes used to be available in Europe before the EU standard came out for trailers. Although I think the TUV has never certified them for use in Germany.

Thanks a lot Martyn! Your dah man.
I'm not quite sure about it but I guess there's a dealer at Hamburg who is able to get the brakes legalized for American camper trailers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94