Announcing production of our debut film "The Southwest"

chadlanc

Adventurer
Almost forgot..we ran into Erica and Michel of "Dutchies Go Global" in Northern Arizona. They are driving their old Volvo Ambulance across the USA and down to the tip of South America. Such an awesome adventure. I tried to persuade them to come to the Overland Expo but their visas run out soon

check out their website

http://www.dutchiesgoglobal.com

chadlanc

Adventurer
[video=vimeo;65282501]https://vimeo.com/65282501[/video]

a shot we filmed recently out at Fallen Roof Ruins in Cedar Mesa. Used our Red Epic, Leica R 15mm, Kessler Cinedrive, & Kessler Shuttle Pod

chadlanc

Adventurer
ah shi sle pah, a wonderful gem in the middle of the navajo nation. It's on BLM land

Last edited:

Zapper

Hi Chad

Just found this thread and would love to trade ideas on many of your thoughts. The Kessler gear is terrific. We have travelled throughout the Southwest on a number of Photo Safaris in the past three years. I am planning on dropping by the Overland Expo for at least a day and would love to meet up with you for a chat. I will get in touch with you about cargo ideas for your rig also. I have a U500 with a GXV Camper on the back. Cheers!!

chadlanc

Adventurer
Sorry I haven't updated the thread in awhile. The overland expo was great and the iphone class went very well. Thank you to those who stopped by. We decided to sell the Unimog as we need more space for storage and the opportunity to have more people travel with us. I'm going to have some kids out from photo schools to get some real world experience, so the extra room will be a big help.

Check out our thread if your interested in purchasing the unimog
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/104271-FS-Unimog-1300-Expedition-Camper

I ended up purchasing the Yeti ujoint offroad van. I'll post some details on it all when we get all of our gear installed.

1011899_10151698674755339_1035705228_n.jpg

Despite the heat we will be filming all across the southwest this summer. Hope to meet some of you guys along the way.

Chad

chadlanc

Adventurer
Sorry I haven't posted here in awhile, Been busy trying to sell our unimog and get our new van outfitted. I've been asked a lot about the specs so here it is:
The Yeti is a 2000 E350 with a 7.3L diesel UJOINT offroad 6 inch lift, on board air, rear skid plate, custom baja rack, two 4D AGM batteries in the skid plate, marine fridge, 300W solar panel on top, and a whole lot more. We decided to get the van because it would have more straight out storage space. The unimog is great but we've got so much gear this worked out better. Plus we are driving thousands and thousands of miles across the southwest and the van would do better traveling long distances

yetirainbow.jpg

We've been filming all across Utah and Arizona following the monsoon weather. We headed out to Grand Falls just north of Flagstaff to see how much it was flowing due to the storms. We in fact raced there as a storm was bearing down on us. We witnessed one of the most impressive rainbows I've ever seen. It lasted for over an hour and was so intense. I almost forgot to take out our cinema camera I was in such awe, it was one of those moments that just needed to be experienced. We got a great time lapse shot of the sunset with the rainbow as it faded and then came back super intense at the last moment before completely fading out.

gfpano1.jpg

quick BTS iphone pano shot

Last edited:

chadlanc

Adventurer
We've been shooting recently up at the Bristlecone Pine Forest just to the east of Bishop CA in the White Mountains. If you've never been its an amazing place thats a short drive from bishop. If you take Silver Canyon RD from Bishop it goes straight up the mountain instead of having to drive all the way down to Big Pine and up the mountain. Silver Canyon is a fun 4x4 route with stream crossings and tight switchbacks all the way up the mountain to about 12,000 feet. On the way up we encountered one of the only two remaining big horn sheep herds in the white mountains. A real treat and they hung out in front of the car in the route and they didn't want to move. The Yeti did pretty good up the hill, its poor turning radius meant we had to do some reversing in the switchbacks a few times but nothing too bad.

DSC02061.jpg

DSC02072.JPG

bishop.jpg

At the forest even in August it gets really cold at night and required pulling out all the warm clothes
cold.jpg

We did some astro timelapse shots of the trees under no moon. Some shots with a little artifical lighting and on the night with the meteor shower we went for a silhouette shot on this magnificent tree hanging on after being burnt in a fire. For that one we broke out 12 feet of dolly track and the motion control rig to slide underneath and do a pan/tilt move to show the limbs of the tree. We will be back in the area hopefully at the end of the month for the moon strike to get some more shots. We met some other photographers out there shooting and had a great time. After the forest we also shot down near bishop at the Sky Rock, a nice hidden piece of rock art really close to town. After that we went to Bodie to scout out shots for another time. They don't allow filming during the busy season and I had never been before so it was really cool to check out.
1186059_10151787645610339_768427998_n.jpg

skyrock.jpg

Attachments

• bishop.jpg
    bishop.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles