Announcing production of our debut film "The Southwest"

chadlanc

Adventurer
This forum has been a big help with planning trips and equipment questions. So It seemed like a perfect place to announce our production of our debut film "The Southwest"

southwesttitle.jpg

Summary: "The Southwest" is a non-narrative film exploring the beauty and culture of the Southwest United States. This film is a visual journey into this harsh landscape & humanity's relationship between the raw natural landscape and those who live there. This cinematic experience journeys to natural wonders, industrial sites, forgotten wild west towns, modern cities, & much more. The subject matter is guided by the power of the image thru the various aspects that make up this region & to transport the viewer on a visual journey.

8180669399_c2fa67d82d_b.jpg

We are traveling in a Unimog 1300L Camper, which has plenty of room for all of our gear and the 4x4 capability to go about anywhere. We've just began our travels this fall in Zion NP and around the Page, AZ area. For the next year or two we will filming across all kinds of locations around the southwest from airplane boneyards to the grand canyon to the streets of LA.

665923_10151269883910339_433959079_o.jpg

If you would like to help us on our journey making this film. Whether your a producer, musician, gear manufacturer, or just a regular joe who would like to have dinner with us around the campfire we would love to meet you.

I will be updating this page from the field with photos and videos of our travels. The best way to stay connected to our films progress is by our Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/thesouthwestfilm

also check out our website http://www.chadlancaster.com

a big thank you to Rigid Industries for helping us make this film
560859_10150652494757379_2105612024_n.jpg
http://www.rigidindustries.com

Last edited:

ANDYROO

Adventurer
Looks like a super interesting project....good luck with it.

Love the RED camera.......read a lot about how amazing they are.....

chadlanc

Adventurer
Look forward to meeting you. Let me know when it gets closer to when you'll be in the southwest. We will be all over the place. Hope your not freezing out in Billings. My dad has a place in Columbia Falls, beautiful state.

Chad

I'd love to get together with you guys around the campfire sometime this summer.

clcoyle

Explorer
Really enjoyed the "New Beginnings" short and am really looking forward to the film "Southwest". Keep us posted.

chadlanc

Adventurer
Thanks. That was a quick timelapse of the sun fading under eggshell arch. A really special place on private navajo land. Took me several months to earn the trust of the family who owns it to get permission. Hopefully that shot will make it in the film, but with these types of films its not till your done shooting and in the editing room does it all come together and you find which images flow with each other. We'll see!

Scott Brady

Founder
Looking forward to watching the project develop. Of all the places I have travelled, the desert southwest holds the most beauty for me.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Look forward to meeting you. Let me know when it gets closer to when you'll be in the southwest. We will be all over the place. Hope your not freezing out in Billings. My dad has a place in Columbia Falls, beautiful state.

Chad

Billings isn't too bad right now, but we're getting that weather that can't decide what season it is. On Saturday it was spring. sun shining and 55 degrees. Yesterday it was winter again, 22 and snowing. Today it was 38 and partly cloudy. You just never know around here...

I love the Columbia Falls area. Do a bit of diving in Flathead. My folks are building a place in Seeley Lake, not too far from Columbia Falls. Many of my future overland plans involve Glacier and the Flathead, Lolo, and Clearwater National Forests. There's endless wonderful scenery around here, and plenty of overland opportunities. It's one of the Northwest's better kept secrets. And we like it that way. :)

Right now the only time I know I'll be that way is around the time of the Overland Expo in Flagstaff, which is May 17-19.

alia176

Explorer
I'm in NM as well so give me a heads up and I hope to meet up with y'all! Always been curious how such documentaries come to fruition.

chadlanc

Adventurer
cinedrive.jpg

Yesterday arrived one of the most revolutionary pieces of gear that will transform the way we film "The Southwest" The Kessler Crane Cinedrive. The Cinedrive is a motion control rig with multi-axis key framable moves. Not only can it pan/tilt while moving down a dolly but also has focus and zoom control, all with keyframe positions programable via a iPad. Review and behind the scenes photos to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles