NAS110 wheels ANR1534 what tyres?

Steve UK

Adventurer
Hello,

Does anybody run these wheels, I have just bought a set for my defender and was wondering what the best thing to do in regard to modern tyres is?

Can I fit a modern tyre eg; BFG All Terrain 235/85r16 and still use a tube, I understand there maybe issues with the rough inside of the tyre on the tube or am I worrying about nothing.

Would be nice to hear some first hand experience, I am asking here as they maybe more widely used in the US than UK because of their fitment to the NAS110.

Thank You.

Steve UK

Adventurer
BFG All Terrains are awful tires...

exempli gratia (e.g.) for the sake of example Usually shortened in English to "for example" (see citation signal). Often confused with id est (i.e.).[5]
Exempli gratia, "for example", is commonly abbreviated "e.g."; in this usage it is sometimes followed by a comma, depending on style.[6]

Sorry about that, in England we use the two letters eg quite often before writing an example. Could be anything Cooper STT, MAXXIS. I have not decided what to get, will probably do a search for that. I just couldn't find an answer to my particular question of modern tyres on ANR1534 wheels.

Steve

BirchHill

goat farmer
Not sure about fittment to that wheel, might be better asked on a defender specific forum. I have been happy with the Nitto terra graplers, they are a inexpensive priced AT tire and have performed well in the snow and general trail use. So far with about 20k miles on them they are only showing minimal wear.

61rover

Observer
I run BF Goodrich All Terrains in 235/85-16 without tubes on those rims. Perfect tire for Colorado. Great in snow. Great on slick rock. Quiet on the highway. I couldn't be happier. Best choice for your 110 unless you're into Mud Boggin'.

Steve UK

Adventurer
I run BF Goodrich All Terrains in 235/85-16 without tubes on those rims. Perfect tire for Colorado. Great in snow. Great on slick rock. Quiet on the highway. I couldn't be happier. Best choice for your 110 unless you're into Mud Boggin'.

Hello 61rover,

Thanks great info, so the rivets seal ok or did you seal them? And the beads seals ok (obviously as your running them)

I was just concerned as the rims are not specifically tubeless.

Steve

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Based on what? sales data? They seem to be extremely popular so they cant be all that bad, not mudders but a good all terrain.
There are a ton of reviews on this tire site http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO

My God, you troll, go die somewhere. Based on personal experience if you must know. The only benefit they had was highway quietness and longevity. They sucked in Telluride, they sucked in Moab, they were okay in between.
But by all means, go read your reviews so you can sound like you know something.
All terrains are just that, okay in all terrains, not particularly "good" in any specific one.

exempli gratia (e.g.) for the sake of example Usually shortened in English to "for example" (see citation signal). Often confused with id est (i.e.).[5]
Exempli gratia, "for example", is commonly abbreviated "e.g."; in this usage it is sometimes followed by a comma, depending on style.[6]

Sorry about that, in England we use the two letters eg quite often before writing an example. Could be anything Cooper STT, MAXXIS. I have not decided what to get, will probably do a search for that. I just couldn't find an answer to my particular question of modern tyres on ANR1534 wheels.

Steve

Sorry, I was just trying to save you from going that route. They are 6.5" wide wheels so keep that in mind when purchasing tires for them. The original equipment was Michelin X - 7.50x16

Steve UK

Adventurer
The original equipment was Michelin X - 7.50x16

Thanks, yes this is what is on them at the moment. I think I will use them up first then look for some modern tyres. I have 7.5 x 16 XZL at the moment but I am restricted by the 5.5 standard rims I have which is why I have bought the new wheels.

Thanks,

Steve

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
XZLs are a personal favorite of mine, we had them on our 2009 D110 and they were great! Bit noisy , but worked great off road.

Scott Brady

Founder
XZLs are a personal favorite of mine
BFG All Terrains are awful tires...

Interesting assessment. I would be curious to see a more detailed/technical conclusion than above. . .

There are only two benefits to the XZL: 1. They look great on a Rover or G-Wagon. 2. They are incredibly durable.
With regards to effectiveness, they are laughable. Every component of tractive performance in a tire is absent with the XZL.

Deformation- On a light vehicle like a Defender, the XZL does not achieve notable carcass deformation until 10-12 psi, far below a non-emergency pressure range. This effects performance in rocks, ledges, roots, etc. where mechanical keying and deformation is paramount.
Adhesion- The compound of the XZL is so hard for lug integrity (anti-chunking) and wear, that the durometer rating are off the charts, often indicating over 80! (most ATs are in the low 60s). Durometer and compound directly effect adhesion, which is critical on surfaces like dry rock, slickrock, granite, pavement, asphalt, etc.
Siping- There is no siping and with limited lug elements, wet weather traction is dangerous at best. Ice traction is the lowest level of effectiveness we have ever tested on a trail tire.
Flotation- With the rigid carcass and narrow width, these tires struggle in sand and snow, principally because sufficient contact area cannot be achieved on a lighter vehicle.

Believe me, I am a XZL fanboy, but I also completely understand their gross limitations. They are heavy, stiff, hard and lack the benefits of CAD carcass and tread surface design (even simple things like a shouldered lug, siping and dual draft voids are all absent).

Regarding the BFGoodrich all-terrain, it will outperform the XZL in all performance attributes with the exception of mud and durability. XZLs are very, very strong tires.

This is also not to say the the BFGoodrich AT/KO is the ultimate tire - far from it and also reflective of an aged design.

Scott Brady

Founder
It is also worth noting that Tom Sheppard migrated from the Michelin X-series tire to the BFGoodrich All Terrain KO, noting "superior" performance. In our work with Mr. Sheppard, we have explored his transition and basis at length, including a full editorial on the subject.
Tom_Sheppard_%20(4).jpg

Tires are a complex and extremely technical subject, but one I believe worth researching. One of my favorite references on the topic is "The Racing and High-Performance Tire", available through the SAE.

gm13

Adventurer
Thanks, yes this is what is on them at the moment. I think I will use them up first then look for some modern tyres. I have 7.5 x 16 XZL at the moment but I am restricted by the 5.5 standard rims I have which is why I have bought the new wheels.

Thanks,

Steve

I have the BFG AT 235/85 16 on my 5.5 x16,(see avatar) off the boat they originally had the tubed bias ply Avon something or other. I had assumed they were 6.5 x16 till I just now went and looked. Never had any leak issues. Been happy with them except for their behavior on ice.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Interesting assessment. I would be curious to see a more detailed/technical conclusion than above. . .

There are only two benefits to the XZL: 1. They look great on a Rover or G-Wagon. 2. They are incredibly durable.
With regards to effectiveness, they are laughable. Every component of tractive performance in a tire is absent with the XZL.

Deformation- On a light vehicle like a Defender, the XZL does not achieve notable carcass deformation until 10-12 psi, far below a non-emergency pressure range. This effects performance in rocks, ledges, roots, etc. where mechanical keying and deformation is paramount.
Adhesion- The compound of the XZL is so hard for lug integrity (anti-chunking) and wear, that the durometer rating are off the charts, often indicating over 80! (most ATs are in the low 60s). Durometer and compound directly effect adhesion, which is critical on surfaces like dry rock, slickrock, granite, pavement, asphalt, etc.
Siping- There is no siping and with limited lug elements, wet weather traction is dangerous at best. Ice traction is the lowest level of effectiveness we have ever tested on a trail tire.
Flotation- With the rigid carcass and narrow width, these tires struggle in sand and snow, principally because sufficient contact area cannot be achieved on a lighter vehicle.

Believe me, I am a XZL fanboy, but I also completely understand their gross limitations. They are heavy, stiff, hard and lack the benefits of CAD carcass and tread surface design (even simple things like a shouldered lug, siping and dual draft voids are all absent).

Regarding the BFGoodrich all-terrain, it will outperform the XZL in all performance attributes with the exception of mud and durability. XZLs are very, very strong tires.

This is also not to say the the BFGoodrich AT/KO is the ultimate tire - far from it and also reflective of an aged design.

Hi Scott,

I agree with essentially most of your explanation. I know you love comparisons(just got the new journal, great LED write up!).

I would not own either tire personally, but I did love driving the 110 with the XZLs. I agree completely about their limitations, they will NEVER be a rock crawling or perfect overland tire. I do however love their width and sidewall strength. They have the ability to cut deep in mud down to "hopefully" a solid bottom, they never float like A/Ts can. The fuel mileage we received was very decent as well compared to the duratracs. Here's the basis of my reasoning:

Vehicle 1: 2009 Defender 110 with XZLs. I put thousands of kilometers on this vehicle, I enjoyed every second of it(obviously), didn't really off road it too much. However, when it was taken off road it performed very well in muddy(not mud pit) terrain. It also laughed at sharp rocks as it rolled over them, never had a flat and almost no wear in 30k. The XZLs were more of an appearance thing, it looked military, and the tires looked great on the truck.

Vehicle 2: 2007 Defender 110 with BFG A/Ts. This vehicle I rode in for several days in Telluride and Moab. The only times I was happy with the tire's performance was in between the two locations. They were too rock hard(like the XZLs would have been) on the slick rock in Moab, and their performance was laughable at best in the sand. I'm not saying these are the worst tires I've ever driven on, just that they don't really excel at any surface I've seen.

My dad also had a set of the A/Ts on a 4wd truck he had several years ago, had to switch them out mid-winter because of their non existant performance on snow/icy situations.

So there you have it, my limitations of experience are noted here, but this is how I have experienced each tire.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I have run 235/85 and 255/85-16s on the wheels indicated (orig NAS110) without issue in either case. I have run A/T's and M/T's of various manufacturer, and as Scott states, paraphrased, tires are about as personal decision as you will make. Regardless of all the data, each person will have their own preference- hence all the different tires available. This is partly because our balance of needs are different/varied, and partly because we are all humans- aka, different individuals.
As an aside, I also carry a couple tubes in the spare bin just in case a leak develops that I cannot find, thus assuming the wheel construction, but have yet to need one for that application after 20 years using said wheel...
Lastly, even the Wolf wheels have a couple part numbers, and the 'tubed' Wolfs have never left me with an issue either- without tubes...

Steve UK

Adventurer
Hello,

Thanks everyone.

I think I confused everyone with my title question sorry, I am more interested in how the wheels mate up with modern tyres with/without tubes.

However I have learnt some interesting stuff on the XZL's I am running, l agree with what Scott says. They are a terrible tyre but with that they are great, very strong and durable.

Tyres are so subjective it always ends in different points of view, sorry I inadvertantly sent it that way.

Regards,

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz