Looking to get a pathfinder

d67u57

Adventurer
need something fun,4x4,and cheap. year 98-02 +-

i owned several jeeps,xj's,so more or less bullet proof.

what year should i avoid for pathfinders,or things to look into when getting one?

are they known to last lots of miles before major mechanical rebuilds..like 200-300k?

last but not least,im in canada so price figures up here seem to go a bit more north than down south :)

thanks!

edit : looking into pathfinders since for LC/470's people are asking way too much, land rovers scary me reliability wise :D
and other makes i don't quite know.

BirchHill

goat farmer
We have been very happy with our 02. We bought it with 40k miles on it and it now has 174k miles. The only expenses with it has been fluids, brakes and tires with the only failures being an o2 sensor and a cps sensor. I would fully expect another 100k miles on major components. By the way the land rovers are not as bad as they seem, there a little worse.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I've had my '02 since September, check out my build in my signature for some details, (and russellh's for that matter) but I'm extremely happy with it.

The years you mention ('96-04) are called R50s by their chassis. They have unibody construction with strut suspension in the front and a 4-link in the rear. Despite being referred to as the caR50 in some circles, I consider mine extremely capable, and couldn't be happier with both its trail and on-road performance. The early models ('96-99) looked a little different, and featured the VG33E engine, with 168 hp and 196 lb-ft of torque. They're dead reliable, but I've heard a little lacking in oomph. The R50 was given an extensive update in 2000, and was updated to my bodystyle, with a new interior as well. The VG hung around for a while until '01 when they started to put my motor, the VQ35DE, in and by 2002 it was standard on all models. It has no lack of power, and makes 240hp with the auto and 265 ft-lbs of torque. They do pretty well in crash-testing, and I believe they earned a top safety pick here in the US, and I think are one of the harder SUVs to roll over. I test drove an XJ when on the hunt, and the Pathfinder R50 kills it in terms of refinement and, with the VQ, power. Reliability should be the same or better.

You should be able to pick up a clean one relatively cheaply, I got mine for $5900 USD with 70,000 miles (112,654 km).

Aftermarket support is a little on the light end, but you can still get pretty much all the standard ARB accessories, and 4x4parts has a pretty solid selection of upgrades as well. Like I said, they're shockingly capable off road, even in stock form with my open/open diffs. They don't take up much of the trail (you should be used to that though, with an XJ), and have very good street manners as well. IMO, with a few minor upgrades they make an excellent expo rig. Just expect to get a lot of weird glances from the unenlightened.

Check out NPORA and NICO for more details. Best of luck!

Last edited:

d67u57

Adventurer
thanks guys.

i read a bit on the 'VG33E vs VQ35DE' .

1 - regular vs premium fuel.

2 - timing belt vs initial electrical(and valve screws) issues.

with no service history(worst case scenario) , which would you pick?

edit : looked at your respective threads,great looking machines :)

mortonm

Expedition Leader
thanks guys.

I have no experience with the VQ35 but my Xterra has the VG33. Its not a rocket, but moves my Xterra along fine at 170hp and 200 ft/lbs. I have average about 15-16 mpg for its lifetime with me (about a year) which has been probably 70 % highway driving.

On some summer road trips I have gotten 18-20 mpg on all highway.

Has been quite reliable, no issues I was forced to fix. The knock sensor was bad (a known issue) although on the regular VG33's its not a big deal, must be changed for the supercharged versions in the frontier and Xterra.

The exhaust headers have a tendancy to crack on higher mileage engines on the Xterras, im assuming they are the same on Pathfinders.

Timing belt must be changed regularly at 105,000 miles.

Its a relaible old boat anchor and will get you where you want to go, way more than enough power offroad and you can cruise at 75mph all day (just takes a bit longer to get there)

Mine has ~ 110,000 miles on it, and of those I have put on about ~25,000. Loving it so far.

BirchHill

goat farmer
thanks guys.

I have always run mid grade gas with out any detonation or other issues and I think the power valve screw issue is over blown which is often the case for things on the internet. I have never addressed it on mine and at 174k miles i dont think its going to be an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier