2 meter SWR?

Shortpipes

KD0TRP
I am ready to tune my antenna (Hustler sf-2). My question is can I use the SWR meter that I used for tuning my cb? I lost my instructions so I don't know the specs on the meter. Thanks in advance for any info.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Sorry but no. You'll need another meter to tune 2 meters. Radio Shack used to sell one fairly reasonably priced if there's one near you. Generally most factory antennas made for HAM 2 meters already come tuned so you might not need a meter at all. Also depending on your radio it might have a sub menu item to check for SWR built in.

Good luck!

4x4junkie

Explorer
What kind of meter is it? (just to be sure it's not one of the few that exist which are able to handle both CB and 2M bands).

I also agree, properly mounted, any good quality antenna should be 1.5: 1 or less out of the package on the band it was designed for.

Expedition Leader
The Hustler SF-2 is a 5/8-wave antenna, so it will require a decent ground plane to tune up. I have never seen a 2M antenna with a whip that couldn't be improved by trimming (tuning), but it's always possible you might get one just the perfect length for your installation out of the box. CB SWR meters are mostly cheap junk in my experience; if you're ever going to have more than one antenna or vehicle, invest in an antenna analyzer.

Shortpipes

KD0TRP
thanks for the info, I will look into another meter. The whip is adjustable so I set it about half way into the mast, it seems to work ok but I don't want to harm my radio.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Might check out some of the local ham clubs or meetings. You can always find someone there with a meter handy and I'd bet they'd be happy to help you out. You'll probably find a few hams there that would spend an afternoon with you getting your rig and antenna fully tuned up. If you were near me I'd be happy to do it for you. Also you can get on your local repeater, make some friends and see if any of them have some equipment to help you. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94