Hemi with 6 speed manual?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Anyone got a 6 speed and Hemi in their 2500 or 3500? Looking for info on mpg highway and city. Gear ratio? Thanks!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm looking at an '06 dually with a 5.7 and it says 6 speed. I don't think you could get a 5 speed after the NV4500 could you? 5600s are 6 speed, as are G56s. I'm guessing 3.73 or 4.10 gears, and I would run 285/75R17 which is 34x11.00 ish. With 3.73 I guess that would be similar overall gearing to yours. I'm still leaning towards a diesel, but I found a gasser with 120k on it for under $9k. It's got me thinking.

JayT

I have a hemi in my 2500 with the 5 speed auto. Would love to have a manual!! Best mileage I have gotten yet is 15L/100km (~16mpg) with a pretty solid tailwind. I average somewhere around 18-20L/100km with a mixture of city and highway. Ive always thought the only thing I would change on the truck is to a manual. Not sure where you are at but here diesel is still more expensive than gas. . . .

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
I'm looking at an '06 dually with a 5.7 and it says 6 speed. I don't think you could get a 5 speed after the NV4500 could you? 5600s are 6 speed, as are G56s. I'm guessing 3.73 or 4.10 gears, and I would run 285/75R17 which is 34x11.00 ish. With 3.73 I guess that would be similar overall gearing to yours. I'm still leaning towards a diesel, but I found a gasser with 120k on it for under $9k. It's got me thinking.
the dually's are usually 4.10s aren they? theres a sticker in the glove box on most of the trucks ive seen that shows the ratio. my truck is an 03, first year of the hemi, i think you could get a v10 in that year too, anyhow, my truck is a 5spd, i definately think the manual trans helps these trucks get better mileage. the hemi is a really fun motor for ripping around, and it will tow but it doesnt have alot of low end. if i was towing or hauling heavy enough to need a dually i dont think the hemi would be my first choice.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
the dually's are usually 4.10s aren they? if i was towing or hauling heavy enough to need a dually i dont think the hemi would be my first choice.

The vin will tell you gear ratio if you look it up. I appreciate your thoughts on towing / heavy loads. The plan is to put my camper (3300 lbs dry) in the back and tow the 4dr Rubicon. Sounds like the diesel is still a better idea. I kinda want another Cummins truck, but Larry got me thinking about gas power. I'll keep my options open. Thanks Lee. I still think your truck rocks, by the way!

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I have a hemi in my 2500 with the 5 speed auto. Would love to have a manual!! Best mileage I have gotten yet is 15L/100km (~16mpg) with a pretty solid tailwind. I average somewhere around 18-20L/100km with a mixture of city and highway. Ive always thought the only thing I would change on the truck is to a manual. Not sure where you are at but here diesel is still more expensive than gas. . . .

My 2004 2500 Hemi with the automatic gets about 12mpg combined mileage (mostly highway). I try to keep my speed around 55 miles per hour. That seems to be the sweet spot where I'm still getting good economy but it doesn't have to downshift to go up hills and stuff. I notice just getting off the pavement and onto forest service roads it goes waaaaay down even in two wheel drive, I'll get around 8-9 miles per gallon that way if I spend a whole day out driving. That hurts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94