2014 tacoma/ new model news?

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I was an invited guest to an employee car show at the Toyota Technical Center not far from Ann Arbor, MI. There were a couple other off-road invites too. I got a chance to talk with the guy that invited me. He asked if there was anything I would suggest for the next Tacoma. Of course I said a nice small diesel would be great. The other thing I told him is I wish the Tacoma didn't keep growing. I liked the size of my old '89 XtraCab more than my Taco (that is coming out of someone '6"5).

He and a couple other engineers came out to check out my truck. they really liked the RTT and hadn't seen one before. The thing that really intregued them was the double-thick spray-on bedliner.

He proceeded to tell me they are desiging the next gen. Tacoma completely at that facility.

zolo

Explorer
Jeez, Zolo...us Tundra owners have feelings too. :coffeedrink:

Sorry Sorry, Didn't mean to offend. I just look at the previous Tundra body and then the new one and its like Toyota wanted it huge.
To say its ugly is a little strong. Its a good looking truck that went from a (IMO) good size to a giant size. That's all I'm saying.

I think Toyota has A LOT of work to do in the full size truck Market.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Sorry Sorry, Didn't mean to offend. I just look at the previous Tundra body and then the new one and its like Toyota wanted it huge.
To say its ugly is a little strong. Its a good looking truck that went from a (IMO) good size to a giant size. That's all I'm saying.

I live in mid-Michigan and out by farming country. I am amazed at how many Tundras I am seeing being driven out here. You would rarely see a Tundra (let alone seeing a Tacoma) prior to the new bodystyle.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer

Haha...just messin with ya. My Gen 2 isn't my favorite looking truck but its practical and does what i need it to do. I needed something new (work), always drove Toyotas and thought I needed full-size (line of work I'm in doesn't accept small rice burning vehicles...it's bad enough that I drive a full size Tundra). My first car/truck was a Gen 1 Taco and I loved it. Next vehicle will either be a Taco or Frontier.

There are quiet a few Gen 2 Tundras running around here too.

Clutch

<---Pass

Oh it is ugly, (didn't offend me ;) ) I try to like the looks of it, but can't....it is like the over compensated after they were teased relentlessly over the 7/8ths sized 1st gen Tundra...

Honesty I don't care for most Toyota products anymore, just fugly....their cars have been uninspiring for years....maybe a Lexus IF but that is it, even then it is rather vanilla.

Yes they have a long way to go....I am kinda diggin' the Ford Atlas concept tho', and like the numbers the Eco-Boost puts out, looks like it might even get that 5 cylinder diesel that the Transit is getting. Toyota better step up their game.

zolo

Explorer
Yeah I was digging that ATLAS concept as well.
One thing that has always lead me away from the US market trucks has been there 4wd systems, same with the electric Tacoma system not a fan of that either. (But I do have one)

I really like the Toyota design on trucks like the FJC and the Hilux. I was never a fan of the Tacoma electric Tcase.
Although the FJC has the same failure culprit which is the front diff ADD. But I like the manual Tcase.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Oh it is ugly, (didn't offend me ;) ) I try to like the looks of it, but can't....it is like the over compensated after they were teased relentlessly over the 7/8ths sized 1st gen Tundra...

Honesty I don't care for most Toyota products anymore, just fugly....their cars have been uninspiring for years....maybe a Lexus IF but that is it, even then it is rather vanilla.

Yes they have a long way to go....I am kinda diggin' the Ford Atlas concept tho', and like the numbers the Eco-Boost puts out, looks like it might even get that 5 cylinder diesel that the Transit is getting. Toyota better step up their game.

I was very impressed with a F150 I test drove a couple months back...IMO the Tundra is bulbous and the "off road" package is worthless...even the article in Overland Journal addressed this and admitted you need to take a new truck and completely remove the suspension and add a locker that you can get factory from Ford...

I can't justify buying a truck that I have to "rebuild" new from the factory...even my 2005 Tacoma (now with 90K miles) was a bit of a dissapointment when the rear leaf springs went soft after 40K and past the TSB warranty...especially when all I hauled around was a bunch of camping and fishing gear...
Not a huge deal but come on...

As much as I did like the truck part of the F150 the styling is too brick wall for my likes...I wish the new trucks incorporated some 1950s curves...

Lets hope that a new tacoma has a hilux face:)

Attachments

• hilux.jpg
    hilux.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I was very impressed with a F150 I test drove a couple months back...IMO the Tundra is bulbous and the "off road" package is worthless...even the article in Overland Journal addressed this and admitted you need to take a new truck and completely remove the suspension and add a locker that you can get factory from Ford...

I can't justify buying a truck that I have to "rebuild" new from the factory...even my 2005 Tacoma (now with 90K miles) was a bit of a dissapointment when the rear leaf springs went soft after 40K and past the TSB warranty...especially when all I hauled around was a bunch of camping and fishing gear...
Not a huge deal but come on...

As much as I did like the truck part of the F150 the styling is too brick wall for my likes...I wish the new trucks incorporated some 1950s curves...

Lets hope that a new tacoma has a hilux face:)

One of my riding buddies has an Eco-Boost crew cab....good galore, the power is impressive, and it gets better mpg's than my Taco (not to mention bigger)....I mean come on Toyota, ******t or get off the pot. I do not like the the styling of the current F150's...even if the Altas is kinda Transformerish, I didn't instantly hate it...I could live with it. The grill is cod piece-ish....I think they are channeling the old trucks from the 40's and 50's though. No manny trans in most modern trucks is a bummer, I just don't know if I am ready for handicapible status just yet...still have some juice left in my clutch leg.

Yeah, the TRD "offroad" package was roached on mine waaay too early in it's life span...W-T-F....Toy-Yo-Da? What was it specced for, hauling cotton balls and unicorn farts?

The current HiLux style is too terrible...looks like the front end on my step dad's HighLander...which isn't a bad vehicle....heck, it rides better than my Taco down washboards...

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah I was digging that ATLAS concept as well.
One thing that has always lead me away from the US market trucks has been there 4wd systems, same with the electric Tacoma system not a fan of that either. (But I do have one)

I really like the Toyota design on trucks like the FJC and the Hilux. I was never a fan of the Tacoma electric Tcase.
Although the FJC has the same failure culprit which is the front diff ADD. But I like the manual Tcase.

The electric t-case is flipping gay, and don't get me started on the FJ-Cruiser styling...I almost hate that thing as much as Priuses, I could tell ya how I really feel, but the ban hammer might come swinging my way. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior