2014 tacoma/ new model news?

voodoojk

Adventurer
OK guys...

Jeep owner here considering a dc taco for my next rig as my family will be +1 next month and my 2dr JK on 37's is not a family oriented rig. I have found some threads on the 2014 model but didnt know if anything has been confirmed. I heard hilux/shared platform, i heard diesel..i heard it all. lol .Anyone with real answers yet? Loaded question i know and i dont want a debate about whats better and what they should do. Just dont want to shoot myself if i get a 2013 model and in 2014 a diesel zombie appocolypse rig is released a few months later ( jking of course) I just dont do enough forum research on this yet so sorry if its a beat topic.

Thanks everyone
Jeff

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't count on there being a 2014 tacoma...my buddy works for corporate at toyota and said they have considered doing what ford did with the ranger...and making the tundra more fuel efficient...because US buyers don't want small trucks

Owyhee H

Adventurer
HA HA HA

Kill the Tacoma???? Thats funny.....I know Toyota isn't that stupid. It has a market share on the mid-sized pickup and there is no reason to let that go.

Maybe I missed the sarcasm.

To the OP, I havent heard the lastest rumors but waiting for a Diesel is a waste of your time. Toyota may bring a diesel here eventually but it will be no mechanical injection zombi apocolype rig. I would love a hilux here but it is not likely. :(

Last edited:

voodoojk

Adventurer
like i said, i heard many rumors of it sharing the hilux chassis, might have a diesel ect. Hell,i would be happy if the got rid of drum brakes and at least got in the 2000's with rear discs! ( whats up with that toyota?)

We in the JK world have been waiting for a diesel for years now begging jeep to make one for the states so i know all too well the diesel waiting games. Just like the wrangler pick up..i know the second i sell my jeep and get a truck Jeep will release the wrangler pick up! hahaha

zolo

Explorer
Yeah gas motor, Direct injection, Face Lift, possible full body style change Tacoma.

I find it hard to believe they would ever ditch the Tacoma, ESP for that terribly ugly and blotted Tundra. That would be suicide...

Drums are highly effective for a truck. Easy parking brake set up and good stopping power. Were the Tacoma lacks in brakes is the tinny front rotor and caliper...

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I haven't heard of any official 2014 model year announcements for the Taco yet, but at the same time I wouldn't hold my breath for a diesel version.

As for the model being discontinued; I'm sure they've considered lots of options, but some big factors lead me to believe the Tacoma has more than a few years of life left...

The Tacoma's sales are not all a reflection of what the Ford Ranger's sales were falling to. The Ranger's numbers fell to just over 55,000 in its last years with a upswing to 70,000 in 2011 when Ford announced it was to be discotiinued. Toyota has managed to move more than 100,000 Tacomas every year since its introduction. Sure it's not Toyota's biggest volume seller, but the sales continue to justify the model.

By moving the Tacoma production to San Antonio alongside the full-size Tundra, Toyota was able to keep their shiny new billion-dollar factory in TX running at a decent capacity even though the Tundra never achieved the sales volume they envisioned. Toyota Corporate really wants to keep their newest facility in NA up and running, and the Tundra won't do that by itself.

With the current Tundra being outsold by the Taco (by approx 40k units in 2012), the Tundra being so far behind the Big 3 full-size pickups in market share, and the Tacoma dominating its segment, I think it would be more likely (but not very likely) to see the Tundra go away and Toyota bring in a bare-bones Hilux variant for commercial sales ala the Ford Transit Connect.

But who knows? :beer:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
No Flagster is telling the truth. I saw it on the internet.
Kill the Tacoma???? Thats funny.....I know Toyota isn't that stupid. It has a market share on the mid-sized pickup and there is no reason to let that go.

Maybe I missed the sarcasm.

To the OP, I havent heard the lastest rumors but waiting for a Diesel is a waste of your time. Toyota may bring a diesel here eventually but it will be no mechanical injection zombi apocolype rig. I would love a hilux here but it is not likely. :(

DaVikes

Adventurer
For what it's worth, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is supposed to have available a diesel in the 2014 model, available late 2013. It's a v-6 turbo diesel from Italy. After getting past the thought of an Italian diesel in a Jeep, the specs are nice - 240 hp and 406 lb-ft torque. It's speculated that they will eventually put it in a JK. Maybe the 2015? At the Detroit auto show, a Jeep muckety muck hinted that a Jeep pickup might become available with the next generation of Jeeps. http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/01/17/jeep-wrangler-pickup-and-baby-wrangler-in-works/. It helps that JK sales are actually growing and hit an all time high in '12 of about 140,000 units. I don't think that Toyota is going to cut the Tacoma, but I don't think they are going to put a diesel in it either.

bjowett

Adventurer
The 3rd gen 2014 Tundra is scheduled to debut next month at the Chicago Auto Show, so I doubt the Taco will have any big news(?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles