A 03 Disco II Build

aek50

Adventurer
My basic understanding is that not all the engines are bad and even once the knocking begins it isn't necessarily terminal right away.

Might just want to keep your eyes out for a wrecked or junked '04 with good engine and transfer case to grab when the time is right. You can surely find any number of transfer cases from 2000 through first half of 2002? when the cdl was taken out in salvage lots and then put in the conversion kit.

brushogger

Explorer
Great job on the bumper. All you need is the shift linkage for the cdl. You will be amazed at the difference this will make. Check over on Discoweb.org. Great vendors over there, and you should be able to pick a linkage up much cheaper than a new t-case. Once the knocking started, I got 1 1/2 years out of my motor. On the '03's, check the vin range to see if yours falls in the range for the oilpump issue. If you can find another good motor grab it. To repair the slipping liner issue correctly, you would be looking to spend about $5k. If I could have found a good motor cheap, I'd still have it. People complain about the high cost of bumpers, etc. Once you build a project like this, you uinderstand why costs are what they are. However, there is a lot of satisfaction from doing it yourself and from the cost savings.

Last edited:

BirchHill

goat farmer
The 04 have had the same kind of problems as the 03 with headgaskets, cracks behind the liners and cracked oil pumps. If you search around on some of the other land rover forums you will find cracked oil pump gears are no stranger to any year disco with the greatest number being in the 4.6 for model year 03/04. Most of the 03s with misaligned dowel drillings have died off as many of the 03 are over a 100k miles now and the severely misaligned ones often blew while under warranty. If concerned its a pretty easy job to pull off the cover and inspect the gears as many cracked pumps continue to pump decent pressure.

mongosd2

Adventurer
He needs another T-case or front output housing...CDL equipped t-cases stopped mid 2001 and didn't return until the '04 product year...

Bumper looks well made, not a fan of big front bumpers

BirchHill

goat farmer
Great job on the bumper. All you need is the shift linkage for the cdl. You will be amazed at the difference this will make. Check over on Discoweb.org. Great vendors over there, and you should be able to pick a linkage up much cheaper than a new t-case. Once the knocking started, I got 1 1/2 years out of my motor. On the '03's, check the vin range to see if yours falls in the range for the oilpump issue. If you can find another good motor grab it. To repair the slipping liner issue correctly, you would be looking to spend about $5k. If I could have found a good motor cheap, I'd still have it. People complain about the high cost of bumpers, etc. Once you build a project like this, you uinderstand why costs are what they are. However, there is a lot of satisfaction from doing it yourself and from the cost savings.

After the 1 1/2 years of knocking what finally failed on the engine ?

Should of just bought a Terrafirma bumper ? But to each is own. At least you have the merit f having built I yourself :))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDu

aarcaris94

As of right now I don't have a washer fluid resivor but I want to get one back in soon.

I also have been looking into building or buying a rack next. Building might be to much time and might cost to much to be worth it. So I am lookinh to buy probably a used rack. After that I think im going to do the rear door set up. Still in the planning stages though. I'll post pictures of the next step as soon as I can get something done. Let me know if you have any idea or suggestions on anything.

Thanks for all the positive feed back on the bumper defiantly a cool thing to know someone else appreciates your design and fab work.

aarcaris94

Hello everyone,

Im looking for some input from some other people on what rack to get? I am think either a Safety Device or a Baja Rack? I'm still not sure if I'm going to buy one or if I will try and build one. Anyone have any suggestions or what they think?

Thanks,
Austin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles