Brought new trailer home today..Thoughts?

Cyclone.1983

Observer
Brought my new trailer home today, going to use it as a base camp trailer as opposed to an offroad, however I may put my stock rubi wheels and tires on it. Its all aluminum, very light weight, has 4 compartments, 2 on each side about the size of a 150 quart cooler. Going to build my own version of a roof top tent on top of it. Got the idea on another forum.

Anybody know of the proper fabric to use for a tent and a supplier?

Your guys trailers all look awesome which I know might wont turn out near as well (lack of money lol) but I love looking at them. Couldnt turn this trailer down for a couple hundred bucks, feel like I got a steal. Pulled it an hour home w/out a glitch lol. Any suggestions yall have are more than welcome.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 527
  • photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 533

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Thoughts on your purchase? Yes, I hate you for getting a good deal. :sombrero: I will however begrudgingly follow your build. Looks like a really cool trailer.

Welcome to ExPo by the way!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
My thoughts are WOW, great deal...and sweet base for a build!

I will now have to stalk this build too!!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice score! The sealed compartments are cool.
A stronger frame, axle and matching wheels.
It may be a bit high if you go with matching tire height.
Looking forward to the build.

loren85022

Explorer
Nice. Once raised, I get you find some clever attachments to mount for and aft the tires to fill in nicely. Id mount tent on a set of rails 4-5" above boxes. They'll become tie down for many other goodies.

Good luck

Cyclone.1983

Observer
Help?

Thanks for the kind words. First thing Im going to do is put a new axle and my stock rubi tires/wheels on it. I just have to figure out which hub will accept my jeep wheels. I think they are 5 on 5 but not sure.

If you look at the pics, you will notice that the tires are under the trailer, I originally was just going to buy a longer axle so they stuck out on the sides until I realized that I am stupid and if I did that I wouldnt be able to open the doors!.....Wheels/tires that are on it stand total of 16 inches tall. My jeep wheels/tires measure 31 (pretend 32) so I will need an additional 8 inches (half the diameter of the tire) of clearance.

Anyone know how I can gain 8 inches of lift on my trailer? I was thinking maybe blocks but I dont think you can get them that tall...Then I was thinking flipping a drop axle but I guess you cant do that, Then I was thinking longer hangers but cant find any....Any ideas/pictures/links? If you cant tell I have no experience with anything haha but I guess you have to learn sometime.

wingysataday

Adventurer
For the tent just make a platform on top of the trailer and just buy a heavy duty tent that will fit on top from REI or Cabelas. For suspension Northerntool.com has some good stuff and your local trailer shop should have plenty of options for you. Nice trailer

loren85022

Explorer
Almost need some pics of the underside to get an idea for frame/axle. My hunch is a traditional box frame with some Additional frame to accept the boxes.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Pondering a LIFT to fit the new axle and 31" tires.

You could make four spring hangers like the Bantam trailers use. Pictures 1 and 2
They have a built height and are braced for side load.
You can find originals or make your own with the corrrect lift needed.
a spring over axle will yeild lift too.

The other option is to build wheel wells into the floor, but this will cut into the space you have in the boxes.
Maybe even too much. " pictures 3, 4 are from TheThom build"

Does the trailer have a stout frame?
Post more pictures please.

Attachments

• M416%205-7-11%20036.jpg
    M416%205-7-11%20036.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
  • M416%205-7-11%20029.jpg
    M416%205-7-11%20029.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010029-1.jpg
    P1010029-1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010024-5.jpg
    P1010024-5.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Apache Chief or Apache Scout
Made in the 1960's

There is a following of these little trailers.

http://www.apacheowners.com/Chief.html

Heilite made the same style of trailers in the late 1950's.

Attachments

• 1961-apache-chief1.jpg
    1961-apache-chief1.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1961-apache-scout1.jpg
    1961-apache-scout1.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 5
  • imagesCA68HEXF.jpg
    imagesCA68HEXF.jpg