M416 questions about axle

jimbos76cj

I was given a M416.. its a 66 model and in pretty decent shape. It may need a new floor but that will come down the road. I plan to pull it behind my CJ so the 5.5 lug pattern is perfect but with using the wider rims and tires it seems there will be a fitment issue. Ive read alot where spacers seem to be the answer but I REALLY dont like using them. I want to keep the parking brake so it seems that a new axle will not work. Ive bult a few jeeps that Ive stretched the frames on so it just seemed like a natural choice to lengthen the axle. I figured 6" in the middle would give me the extra width I need, keep the 5.5 pattern and allow me to extend and reuse the stock parking brakes. All my searching and I have not come across any one who has done this with thier axle.. Any reason why? I know i have to move the spring mounts also. This is my first one so any input would be great.
Heres a pic of her. She came with 3 spare tires and rims and a box full of amber lenses. Once I get the new rims and tires on it Ill more then likely post the other up for sale.

IMG_3976-1.jpg

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Are you using CJ rims? I am running 15" x 10" rims and 33" tires with no rubbing issues. Had to do a springover but that was it.

BTW nice trailer!! Let the building begin.

JPNCA

Adventurer
The offset on the rims may help
The trailer width and TJ are very close

I have 33X12.5s on my 416 with a spring under. I just adjusted the fenders a bit with spacers

4eeab2ca.jpg

jimbos76cj

Excellent.. I just had a friend give me a set of black steelies for a CJ.. 15x10 what ever the standard back spacing is. I know its a crappy description, Im going to bring it with me to work on tuesday and pull the stock rims and see how much clearance I have left.. Now Im think about it they may even be 8" rims.. guess some good measuring is in order. I was surprised that my wife got on board with the project as quickly as she did.. I showed her a few pick of expedition trailers a few months ago and she liked them but of course the price tags are through the roof. When I brought the trailer home she seemed quite pleased. even gave me the go ahead to try and get it ready for out camping trip the 3rd week of february.. First up is to get the tod done. Im hoping to get the steel for it next week. Ill post some pics up when I get to it.

reran

Trailer looks to be in great condition. Good luck with the build. When you decide to put the wheels/tires up for sale, let me know. Thx!

Leland

jimbos76cj

I picked up the steel to make the frame for my top this afternoon. It's gonn be a simple 1-1/2" angle steel frame with 3 1x1 braces the span the width of the top. I was going to make the top out of 1/2 ply wood then cover the whole hint in herculiner to help water proof it but the steel shop has precoated sheets of .04 aluminum that I may use to cover the ply wood and just get a good sealant for the seams.. Sorry.. Last post here.. Next post will be from my build thread. Oh and my rims are 15x8..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles