Thread: 37" tall skinny narrow military style tires for my trailer

Default 37" tall skinny narrow military style tires for my trailer

I want to eliminate the spare on my m416 trailer to make space for other equipment. I'd like to be able to use the same spare as my jeep. I have 37"x13.5R17 Toyo Open Country tires on my jeep.

I found 37x14.5"R15 toyo's and steel rims on CL locally, but they are just so huge and SO heavy. Seems completely rediculous to put these on my trailer. But if I want to use the same spare, I need the same diameter tire, right? Otherwise, it would pull unevenly? Or would it just lean?

What I would ideally like, are the military style non-directional tread NDT tires that originally came on the M416. This would reduce my track width and would offer a lot less rolling resistance I would think. But, I can't find any tall skinny tires in 37" diameter.

Does anybody know where to get some? I'd like to stay in the 7-10" wide range if possible. Mud-Terrain/Offroad style tires are preferred.

Thanks

1987 Dodge Raider - Roxy
    1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max with Starion turbo - Pearl
    1987 Dodge Ramcharger LE - Ryan

those are some good options. Man they are expensive. Guess that's my trade off. I got my used 37" toyo's for $40 each and wheels for $25 for a pair.

does anybody think the 3/4" diameter difference between the military tires and the 37 spare would be a problem? If I were to use the spare, I might be hundreds of miles from home.....

I would go with the matching toyo's. I would bet the mil spec tires are heavier to boot. Mil Spec tires that tall are made to haul weight and take crazy abuse. That translates to heavy. I noticed no differance going from 31-10.50 at's to 35-12.50 Swampers on my trailer. In fact, pushing it around by had was easier with the 35's.
    Highlandercj-7

"If you don't stand behind our troops, Feel free to stand in front of them"

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

i found two STA Superlugs 9.00-16's for $200. (including M37 wheels that I will demount and sell). I these are 36.3" tires, and only weigh 53 lbs per tire compared to 93 per tire for the Toyo's. Plus, the rim's I found (which are 15x10's) weight a TON too. I only need 16x6.5" wheels for these tires. So, I bet I am saving 50-60lbs per tire. I am going to try the military tires and if they work out well, I will just sell the toyo's and rims... I know I can get my money back for what I paid. Only problem is the STA's are about 2 hrs drive from here... my wife has friends in that town, so we'll be making a trip to see them and pick up the tires too.